E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Handling Upgrade Suggestions for an E90

05-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #23
CBR6n335Iracer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Other then tires, id say get nothing and save the money on experience and more track time. my car is completely stock because i can not out drive my car yet. until you can actually handle your car theres no need to start putting a bunch of money into your car. 9 times out of 10 i can hop in someones car that ive never driven before and beat their lap times, ive done it numerous times as a i run a small race school and non profit autocross league here in central texas. that would be my best advice. Get tires so your car at stock, is performing at its optimal level and learn your car, you should improve before you improve your car. thats a good thing i teach my students, especially the ones that talk the most shit, it usually quiets them down a little. I am also not here tooting my own horn, im learning right alongside my students and everytime im out there instructing or racing. i am by no means an expert yet but im getting there. thats why were just a local thing and trying to take care of our soldiers at fort hood.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #24
Ian0611
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentgbr View Post
I like option 2.) add Bilstein B6's up front to match the rears. That will provide a noticeable improvement IMO.
Considering the fact that my stock suspension has 120K on it, this will probably be my next course action just for maintenance sake. I think I'm going to throw some lowering springs on as well since that will be a good time to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR6n335Iracer View Post
Other then tires, id say get nothing and save the money on experience and more track time. my car is completely stock because i can not out drive my car yet. until you can actually handle your car theres no need to start putting a bunch of money into your car. 9 times out of 10 i can hop in someones car that ive never driven before and beat their lap times, ive done it numerous times as a i run a small race school and non profit autocross league here in central texas. that would be my best advice. Get tires so your car at stock, is performing at its optimal level and learn your car, you should improve before you improve your car. thats a good thing i teach my students, especially the ones that talk the most shit, it usually quiets them down a little. I am also not here tooting my own horn, im learning right alongside my students and everytime im out there instructing or racing. i am by no means an expert yet but im getting there. thats why were just a local thing and trying to take care of our soldiers at fort hood.
This is awesome advice and I really do appreciate it!! You make a great point about not being able to out drive my car. Other than replacing the front struts, which is mainly a maintenance item, I'm planning on doing wheels and tires next. My current tires have quite a bit of tread left and I'm wanting new wheels anyway, so my goal is to get a new set of wheels and tires and then keep my current set for winter. That being said, what size wheel and tires do you recommend for the best performance?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 02:07 AM   #25
gryphun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I took my car to M service in Walnut Creek for some maintenance (water pump, thermostat, replaced thrust rod bushing) - car is at 91k, spoke with the owner Dante who is an instructor here in the Bay Area. Asked him that am interested in some track events (track noob), first words of advice: when your run-flats need to be replaced dump them for some Continental DWS and if have extra money, buy some Apex wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Anything but the strut brace. That wont do anything.

If I were you, the best bang for the buck upgrades will be:

1) "Decent" tires
2) M3 Front Control Arms (adds about a degree of camber to remove some understeer)
3) Bigger front swaybar (people are going to argue with me on this but trust me)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #27
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian0611 View Post
Considering the fact that my stock suspension has 120K on it, this will probably be my next course action just for maintenance sake. I think I'm going to throw some lowering springs on as well since that will be a good time to do it.

This is awesome advice and I really do appreciate it!! You make a great point about not being able to out drive my car. Other than replacing the front struts, which is mainly a maintenance item, I'm planning on doing wheels and tires next. My current tires have quite a bit of tread left and I'm wanting new wheels anyway, so my goal is to get a new set of wheels and tires and then keep my current set for winter. That being said, what size wheel and tires do you recommend for the best performance?
Apex ARC-8 9.0 17" square, only 16.5 lbs

Tires: 255/40 or 245 all 4

Also: pay attention to your brakes - fluid, pads, lines, make sure they are in excellent shape.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #28
Ian0611
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Apex ARC-8 9.0 17" square, only 16.5 lbs

Tires: 255/40 or 245 all 4

Also: pay attention to your brakes - fluid, pads, lines, make sure they are in excellent shape.
Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #29
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian0611 View Post
Thank you!!
no problem! get to know the car on track and your driving skills and then go from there if you want to make additional mods. you should know what you want to change before changing it.
Appreciate 0