E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMW 335D Rebuild

01-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
Boyd122
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335D bmw 325es 1986

Exclamation BMW 335D Rebuild

So, Where to begin?
I bough this car for cheap. Real cheap 4,000. Wasn't in bad shape just had a dent in the hood. So I got to work servicing the car. I did a oil change with a oil sample to send off to CAT because they have a good history of oil samples or anything I need analyzed. The sample came back fine which was good. So I ran the car on 5w40 as thats the only oil the stores had in stock for the engine that was rated for it. I know it says 5w30 for the car but they didn't have any castrol oil in stock and was going to cost 200 buck just to get me 8 quarts of it. So i drove the car fully serviced for 2-3k miles no problems at all. Well I deleted the car as the EGR and DPF was starting to give me problems, Car wouldn't regen even when i used the scan tool to request. Then the EGR cracked so I parked it and said fuck it. I ordered all the parts for the delete and deleted the car. I got a Dudmd stage two tune put on the car, and it ran like a champ. No problems at all. Well when i bought the car and did its service i checked for blowby, as well as gases. It gave me a heart ache when i saw gases coming out the oil cap when pulled off and very little out of the dip stick. So i assumed it was the CCV. BMW wouldn't sell me one because its a lifetime part, So i ordered on from the czechs on ebay and it fixed a little bit of the issue. Now Around two days ago the car started to idle funny, it would puff blue/white smoke out the back which about broke me. So i pulled the intake off that night,Pulled the glow plugs and stuck a camera off in the cylinders, 4,5,6 had some light scaring going which made me sick. I assume I have broken rings because those cylinders are low on compression. Anyway the Main question I have is where the hell do i Get a rebuild kit for the bastard?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I wouldn't over react yet. Blue/white smoke could be many other things. Don't default to the rings being bad. The source of smoke could be a leaking injector for instance but don't hold me to this. Hard to diagnose over internet. Possible oil from turbo. Possible that you need a valve cover gasket (VCG). When VCG goes, you can start to get boost pressure into the crankcase due to the upper small round intake runners going through valve cover. You would get oil coming out of seals at either front of rear of engine. Hopefully, you don't need to overhaul the engine. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I wouldn't over react yet. Blue/white smoke could be many other things. Don't default to the rings being bad. The source of smoke could be a leaking injector for instance but don't hold me to this. Hard to diagnose over internet. Possible oil from turbo. Possible that you need a valve cover gasket (VCG). When VCG goes, you can start to get boost pressure into the crankcase due to the upper small round intake runners going through valve cover. You would get oil coming out of seals at either front of rear of engine. Hopefully, you don't need to overhaul the engine. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply cuda, I have seen my boost hose from the turbo to the intake is leaking oil, I have a ATM kit for it I need to install, so maybe the ccv has caused this? Now it is coming out the rear? Trust me I don't want to rebuild it yet :/, it is throwing a code for the sensor before the Cat not getting signal, however I will see if that's why it is doing it. I would really hope just one of the injectors is going bad. However, I don't see any oil coming from the VCG, so it may not be that unless it will just leak boost and not spray any oil out the gasket but that would be crazy. Anyway I will have to diagnose it some more and get back to y'all with my findings. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd122 View Post
Quote:
Thank you for the reply cuda, I have seen my boost hose from the turbo to the intake is leaking oil, I have a ATM kit for it I need to install, so maybe the ccv has caused this? Now it is coming out the rear? Trust me I don't want to rebuild it yet :/, it is throwing a code for the sensor before the Cat not getting signal, however I will see if that's why it is doing it. I would really hope just one of the injectors is going bad. However, I don't see any oil coming from the VCG, so it may not be that unless it will just leak boost and not spray any oil out the gasket but that would be crazy. Anyway I will have to diagnose it some more and get back to y'all with my findings. Thank you
The vcg has an inner gasket for where the intake runners pass through. You wouldn't be able to see that one leaking.
      01-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Video of car smoking at idle with some throttle applied

That's a video I just went and filmed, it only does this at idle or when taking of from say a stop sign up to 20mph is when you notice it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd122 View Post
Quote:
The vcg has an inner gasket for where the intake runners pass through. You wouldn't be able to see that one leaking.

Are you speaking of the gaskets that's are part of the intake that you can replace when doing the swirl flaps or is that completely different. Just had a thought of maybe the intake gaskets for it could be causing it as well because of the leaking turbo hose.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Here is the code it is throwing for the sensor for back pressure as well which could be a contender but doubtful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

No, what he's saying is that the M57 has two sets of intake ports -- one set runs through the side of the head (like any traditional engine) and the other set runs through the top, meaning they pass through the valve cover. The valve cover gasket therefore not only has a perimeter seal, but six inner ones to seal off the intake ports to prevent boost from entering the crankcase.

It's possible that your perimeter gasket is solid but have a compromised inner gasket. I don't actually think that's your problem because when that happens oil will force it's way out everywhere and you won't have any trouble spotting the oil mess.

More concerning to me is the reported low compression on cylinders 4,5,6. Can you post the pressure readings you got across all six? Any folks with engine building experience here who come across this thread will likely want to know everything what's going on there.
      01-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #9
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Ah, I will have to check them, yes I can, I have a buddy who works on European diesels who wants to look at it. So he will probably want to run another and I will post them when we do.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #10
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

The 4A74 and 4A79 code are usually from the glow plug controller. It is known to fail. You should clear these code and see if they come back. Search the forums, there are instructions on how to replace the glow plug controller.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
The 4A74 and 4A79 code are usually from the glow plug controller. It is known to fail. You should clear these code and see if they come back. Search the forums, there are instructions on how to replace the glow plug controller.
Yes, I plan to replace them, however I cannot clear a current/active code. I can make them go away sometimes but they come back 🤣
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #12
Boyd122
Private
Rep

I ordered the valve cover gasket with injector o rings, and other little parts as well as a glow plug replacement kit so I should have some compression test soon in the next week again... I have a slight feeling the injectors were the cause before I noticed the low compression and the VCG like cuda said may be the reason why the car has so much mist coming from the oil cap and oil coming out of the turbo to inter cooler...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #13
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

This is a useful thread as I am tracking down similar issues after blowing up my motor and replacing with a used one with higher miles. Eg 150,000 miles. Since the engine is not known I just threw it in to see how it would run in so far it takes excessively long to start so may be an issue with the fuel pressure and once it starts it idles nicely. When I put some stress on the engine example 3000 RPM with transmission in park I get massive amounts of white smoke. Also get a lot of oil in the intercooler
Appreciate 0