E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Anyone in LA/Santa Monica with a cable or MHD WiFi I can borrow?

12-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

I'm beginning to think it may be the cable or the OTG.

Battery at 100% this am. Tried to flash stock map.

Followed the basics.

1. Battery hooked up to the 15A charger, currently showing 100% charge.
2. Car turned to the on position (ignition button pushed twice with foot off the brake, fuel gauge showing actual fuel level).
3. Everything else turned off (screen, lights, stereo, ac)
4. Kdcan plugged in with OTG attached. Get one red flash from the bimmergeek cable.
5. Hook up the phone which is in airplane mode. Leave it on the seat without moving it.
6. MHD opens.
7. Select flash
8. Try to flash stock map as a full flash.
9. Communicates with DME, green lights start flashing on the cable.
10. Shows that it is erasing things
11. Starts the flash, gets going and says there is 14min left.
12. Quits on me! Each time I see the last screen where it informs me it's not working. Then I hear the fuel pump kick on after it's failed.

Through all of this the battery charger reads 100%

I tried to do it again and the same thing happened with a stage 1 and stage 1+ map attempt.

Now it's not connecting with the DME. I'm going to give it a break and try again in a few hours.

Does this sound like a bricked DME or just a garbage cable combo? I'm pulling what little hair I have out.

Anyone in LA have a cable/OTG combo they'd let me borrow? What about a WiFi dongle?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:20 AM   #2
E9xharvey
Rep
n/a
Drives:

May be too late but this happened to me and I just used a different device. Let me know if you’re still having issues and we can meet up.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9xharvey View Post
May be too late but this happened to me and I just used a different device. Let me know if you're still having issues and we can meet up.
Thanks man. I got it sorted. If anyone needs help in the future, I've got two devices, the bimmergeek cable, a charger and now the WiFi dongle.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
CantAffordMyCar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

Currently going through this right now and now im sure its the cable combo as its the cheaper option on amazon. Is the wifi dongle that much more reliable? At the moment my car hangs at 0% and never goes above that, luckily my friend was able to get my car out of recovery mode but I might give it another go with the wifi dongle.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMyCar View Post
Currently going through this right now and now im sure its the cable combo as its the cheaper option on amazon. Is the wifi dongle that much more reliable? At the moment my car hangs at 0% and never goes above that, luckily my friend was able to get my car out of recovery mode but I might give it another go with the wifi dongle.
Worked the first time with the WiFi dongle. Has worked every time since as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
bimmerguy1210
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamua View Post
Thanks man. I got it sorted. If anyone needs help in the future, I've got two devices, the bimmergeek cable, a charger and now the WiFi dongle.
Hey man, i’m looking to do a backend flash but dont have a battery charger, can you help out? I’m near Santa Monica.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy1210 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matamua View Post
Hey man, i’m looking to do a backend flash but dont have a battery charger, can you help out? I’m near Santa Monica.
Probably could coordinate something.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #8
CantAffordMyCar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

Small update; flashed the car with the mhd wifi dongle and the first write only took 6 minutes which is amazing, I didn't even use a charger. Setting changes after take less than a minute. Might I add I also used a cheaper walmart tablet. If anyone in the LA area also needs to borrow the wifi dongle I can help granted I have time.
Appreciate 0