E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Oil on chargepipe going into the EGR and oil in EGR cooler connecting to EGR.

01-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

Oil on chargepipe going into the EGR and oil in EGR cooler connecting to EGR.

basically I had intake off couple of times in the past week and now when I was taking it off, the oil was on the inner edge of a charger hose connecting to EGR and oil was also on the end of EGR cooler that connects into EGR. I dont remember there being oil before. I took few pipes around turbo out otherwise I was just fixing vacuum hoses, any idea what could cause it? and btw, I only started a car stationary which caused that oil leaks....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

I did some reading and it gets oily, when either breather releases the oil through the air pipe 13717796370 to the turbo, or the turbo seals are leaking....

I checked the breather and it is dry.

What I did was I took off intake manifold to check vacuum hoses, and replaced some that were split at the ends. I connected all as they were supposed to be one by one.
I left opened turbo when I removed the air pipe 13717796370 for a few days while I was working on it, could something fell there am thinking??

so after I finished those vacuum hoses I started the car and let it run 10 minutes since it's cold then I wanted to drive and it was still weak I could feel it and brake pedal was stiff, so it lost vacuum that it had before...

I switched off the engine, went to re check all vacuum hoses and they were connected fine and also checked the diagram, all good.

then I went take off the intake and I noticed EGR cooler pipe, Black Charger hose and EGR valve were covered in fresh oil, but they were never oily before.....so what could happen??? Could I do something wrong? by taking out air pipe, intake ? I am clueless...

re vacuum, I didnt found any leak, but by accident I did another smoke test from the EGR vacuum hose and could see the small amount of smoke coming from the side of vacuum pump, but I dont think it's the main leak, or could be?? because I am sure it has been leaking for some time due to vacuum pump being covered heavily from oil and it had vacuum before. I am lost at this stage. lost all vacuum and oil appeared in intake charge hose...from bad to worse

Last edited by bmwdiesel; 01-18-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Some amount of oil in the charge pipe is normal as the PCV releases oil into the intake. But the amount of oil you are describing seems a bit excessive.
Your vacuum problem could have several reasons: A cracked reservoir or faulty vacuum pump. With what you're describing I'd start looking at the vacuum pump.
Appreciate 1
ddinse4.50
      04-21-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
DougNBodie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [10.00]
I know BMW's "EAT" oil and that BMW actually has a guild on proper oil consumption amounts. I'm not sure what they are but it's a good thing to know. My M57 consumes about 1.5 l. of oil between oil changes at 7,500 miles and I've heard that is very light.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Some amount of oil in the charge pipe is normal as the PCV releases oil into the intake. But the amount of oil you are describing seems a bit excessive.
Your vacuum problem could have several reasons: A cracked reservoir or faulty vacuum pump. With what you're describing I'd start looking at the vacuum pump.
There is a seal on the vacuum pump that AAR offers in his VCG kit. Pump might be okay but loosing oil there possibly from the seal. I need to reach out to him for the VP seal. Unsure if sold separately or only in the VCG kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
There is a seal on the vacuum pump that AAR offers in his VCG kit. Pump might be okay but loosing oil there possibly from the seal. I need to reach out to him for the VP seal. Unsure if sold separately or only in the VCG kit.
Not sure if AAR sells one separately, but I just ordered one from FCP Euro with my last oil change supplies.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNBodie View Post
I know BMW's "EAT" oil and that BMW actually has a guild on proper oil consumption amounts. I'm not sure what they are but it's a good thing to know. My M57 consumes about 1.5 l. of oil between oil changes at 7,500 miles and I've heard that is very light.
Hmmm, that's interesting. The M57 in my 335D doesn't burn any between oil changes of 5000 miles.
Appreciate 0