E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Wiring help - Boot handle reversing camera

07-07-2021, 01:08 AM   #1
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Wiring help - Boot handle reversing camera

I have an android unit I fitted a couple of years ago which replaced my CCC stereo/headunit but still allowed the CCC system to work as well as the android unit. This has reverse camera inputs which I never got to fitting until now.

I’ve included some pics of what wiring is in the kit and what connections I have at the stereo end.

I don’t think the wiring diagram (if you can call it that) is super clear so I was wondering if you guys could help me in how or wire this.

So from my understanding I have two options:

(1) 1 boot handle goes into handle slot, 3 plugs into red end of 1.

One end of 2 plugs into yellow connector of 1.

Ground wire from 3 goes to reverse lamp 0v (not sure?). And red wire of 3 connects to red wire from 2.

Then the rca connection from other end of 2 plugs into the video in/rca connection on the stereo and the red wire connects to the camera + 12v on the stereo loom end.

Finally I’m not sure about the “reverse line detection wire” if I would have to connect this to the reverse lamp? But i don’t think there is anything in the kit to do that so I’m not sure if I have to do and would just leave this wire? As at the minute if I go into reverse it brings up the parking sensors and video input for the camera automatically and goes off once you come out of reverse. Or is it actually for the reversing lines that help guide you?

Method (2)
I would wire directly to the reverse lamp and get power and ground off there but I would have to use the car camera filter relay to stabilise the voltage.

I think I prefer method (1) but there’s a couple of things I’m not sure about.

Any help is appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
For mine there was a switched line that would output 12v when the car was in reverse. That wire is the critical one that is needed to switch on the camera.

I just connected the 12v reverse wire to the red wire that is in the video cable (2).

That red wire from the video cable(2) can then just be connected to the red wire on the power barrel connector (3).

That camera doesn't need the ground on the barrel (3) connected because it can get the ground from the RCA connector. So just connecting the red wire on 2 to red on 3 should work. I did end up grounding it to the chassis but it wasn't' really needed.

I would check to see if the pink or red lines give 12v when in reverse or if the pink line is an input that needs to be connected to 12V when in reverse. I expect that it is the prior, the Eonon unit that I had on my e46 and the android unit on my e70 and e90s both know when the car is in reverse and just drive the camera power when in reverse. This should allow for "method 1" where there is no need to connect the camera to the reverse light. For "method 2" you probably would need a relay or some other box to work properly on our cars so it doesn't think it has too much current on a bulb, etc.

-Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 07-07-2021 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryantaz View Post
For mine there was a switched line that would output 12v when the car was in reverse. That wire is the critical one that is needed to switch on the camera.

I just connected the 12v reverse wire to the red wire that is in the video cable (2).

That red wire from the video cable(2) can then just be connected to the red wire on the power barrel connector (3).

That camera doesn't need the ground on the barrel (3) connected because it can get the ground from the RCA connector. So just connecting the red wire on 2 to red on 3 should work. I did end up grounding it to the chassis but it wasn't' really needed.

I would check to see if the pink or red lines give 12v when in reverse or if the pink line is an input that needs to be connected to 12V when in reverse. I expect that it is the prior, the Eonon unit that I had on my e46 and the android unit on my e70 and e90s both know when the car is in reverse and just drive the camera power when in reverse. This should allow for "method 1" where there is no need to connect the camera to the reverse light. For "method 2" you probably would need a relay or some other box to work properly on our cars so it doesn't think it has too much current on a bulb, etc.

-Rich
Thanks for that Rich. I believe I’ve done everything exactly as stated and I’m not getting any video signal. The only thing I have left is the pink wire which mine says “360/camera det”.

So from the stereo going backwards I have connected 12v stereo wire to 2, male rca from 2 into my stereo “video in” rca female connection, ran that to the back, connected 2 to red to 3, connected 3 black wire to reverse lamp 0v (I had no video without it connected to ground/0v so I thought I’d try by connecting it, but nothing), then plug in the 3 male into 1 red female and the remaining male rca from 2 into 1 rca female.

The only other thing is I have 3 other female rca but two are “video out” and one is “dvr video in” and I have it plugged in “video in”, which I’m pretty sure is correct.

So I guess I do need to connect the pink wire. Does this need to be ran to the reverse lamp positive?

The thing I don’t quite get; in the kit I’ve got there is no extra wire or anything to make a connection anywhere with the pink wire so I’m a little confused. Any help is appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Processing61 View Post
Thanks for that Rich. I believe I’ve done everything exactly as stated and I’m not getting any video signal. The only thing I have left is the pink wire which mine says “360/camera det”.

So from the stereo going backwards I have connected 12v stereo wire to 2, male rca from 2 into my stereo “video in” rca female connection, ran that to the back, connected 2 to red to 3, connected 3 black wire to reverse lamp 0v (I had no video without it connected to ground/0v so I thought I’d try by connecting it, but nothing), then plug in the 3 male into 1 red female and the remaining male rca from 2 into 1 rca female.

The only other thing is I have 3 other female rca but two are “video out” and one is “dvr video in” and I have it plugged in “video in”, which I’m pretty sure is correct.

So I guess I do need to connect the pink wire. Does this need to be ran to the reverse lamp positive?

The thing I don’t quite get; in the kit I’ve got there is no extra wire or anything to make a connection anywhere with the pink wire so I’m a little confused. Any help is appreciated
Your unit is different than mine. Mine had a wire that is a 12v output when I shift into reverse.

Do make sure that you go into the setup menu and make sure that the camera is set for the normal one and not the 360 input. Mine had a setting where it had to be configured for an aftermarket camera in the factory settings before it worked. IIRC the factory setup passwd should be 1314.

Perhaps the signal doesn't output 12v unless configured for an aftermarket camera?

-Rich
      07-08-2021, 01:35 AM   #5
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Your unit is different than mine. Mine had a wire that is a 12v output when I shift into reverse.

Do make sure that you go into the setup menu and make sure that the camera is set for the normal one and not the 360 input. Mine had a setting where it had to be configured for an aftermarket camera in the factory settings before it worked. IIRC the factory setup passwd should be 1314.

Perhaps the signal doesn't output 12v unless configured for an aftermarket camera?

-Rich
Thanks rich.

I’ve just checked the settings and it is setup for an aftermarket camera. Other options “360”, “original”. I did select them and try them just to check but none of them worked.

I guess like you said I’ll disconnect everything and see if I’m getting 12v at the “camera + 12v” on the stereo loom and then see if that 12v goes all the way back to the camera to the red wire on 2 and 3 when connected and understand if it’s constant 12v or switched.

If that’s all good maybe I do need to run a wire from the pink “360 camera det” from the stereo to the +12v on the reverse lamp at the rear and see if that helps anything.

One thing I did notice is the handle and camera looks really poor quality and I will have to send it back as the microswitch assembly fouls the boot lid and makes it engage and disengage very quickly, the micro switch doesn’t stay in place and the whole unit doesn’t fit properly in the hole (very loose). So if in theory it all looks good I do wonder if the camera could be faulty.

Last edited by Processing61; 07-08-2021 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 02:58 AM   #6
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
Quote:
Thanks rich.

I’ve just checked the settings and it is setup for an aftermarket camera. Other options “360”, “original”. I did select them and try them just to check but none of them worked.

I guess like you said I’ll disconnect everything and see if I’m getting 12v at the “camera + 12v” on the stereo loom and then see if that 12v goes all the way back to the camera to the red wire on 2 and 3 when connected and understand if it’s constant 12v or switched.

If that’s all good maybe I do need to run a wire from the pink “360 camera det” from the stereo to the +12v on the reverse lamp at the rear and see if that helps anything.

One thing I did notice is the handle and camera looks really poor quality and I will have to send it back as the microswitch assembly fouls the boot lid and makes it engage and disengage very quickly, the micro switch doesn’t stay in place and the whole unit doesn’t fit properly in the hole (very loose). So if in theory it all looks good I do wonder if the camera could be faulty.
I think there should be a reverse wire somewhere in the radio harness if needed. I think that is how my head unit knows the car is in reverse.

I had pretty decent luck with that style camera but I do recommend getting the better fisheye version. My only complaint was that the rubber will sometimes come off the edge and has to be pushed back in.

I actually changed my e90 to use license plate light camera mounts instead. I have one style for the DVR and one style for the backup camera so I have a camera in each license plate light with two different styles so that the light is on the inside of both. I did have to use a fisheye lens on both or the view was too high (or was it too low) to be useful.

Name:  left side camera mount.JPG
Views: 2412
Size:  49.4 KB Middle Name:  right side fisheye.JPG
Views: 2361
Size:  47.9 KB

Note that I did fill the open air portion of the right side one with electronics safe clear silicone so water won't get in. The lights are different but it isn't noticeable when on the car with the trunk down and the brightness is pretty even at night. For a single camera I recommend the one on the right. Both of these are around $20-$25 from various sellers on aliexpress for the good camera or as cheap as $8 for a basic camera.

-Rich
      07-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think there should be a reverse wire somewhere in the radio harness if needed. I think that is how my head unit knows the car is in reverse.

I had pretty decent luck with that style camera but I do recommend getting the better fisheye version. My only complaint was that the rubber will sometimes come off the edge and has to be pushed back in.

I actually changed my e90 to use license plate light camera mounts instead. I have one style for the DVR and one style for the backup camera so I have a camera in each license plate light with two different styles so that the light is on the inside of both. I did have to use a fisheye lens on both or the view was too high (or was it too low) to be useful.

Attachment 2644083 Middle Attachment 2644084

Note that I did fill the open air portion of the right side one with electronics safe clear silicone so water won't get in. The lights are different but it isn't noticeable when on the car with the trunk down and the brightness is pretty even at night. For a single camera I recommend the one on the right. Both of these are around $20-$25 from various sellers on aliexpress for the good camera or as cheap as $8 for a basic camera.

-Rich
Thanks for the advice Rich, I’ll keep that in mind.

I just can’t seem to get it to work. Admittedly I haven’t been given a wiring diagram from where the handle came from or for the stereo so I’m sort of guessing but I’ve had a look online and seems to be the standard way to install it.

This time round I did try to use the relay filter thing that was in the kit (4 in the pic), negative filter to reverse light negative then positive filter to reverse light 12v, then on the out of the filter positive to the red/positive on 2 and 3, then negative on out of filter to negative on 3.

I then tried the 12v wire on stereo loom in the 2 trigger wire, with all the different camera settings (360, aftermarket, oem) and then tried the trigger wire on 2 connected to the pink wire (cam det) on stereo loom with all the different camera settings and still couldn’t get it to work.

I couldn’t find an earth/0v point to check if I was getting +12v from the stereo cable or cam det pink so that I’m still not sure of
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Rich, I’ll keep that in mind.

I just can’t seem to get it to work. Admittedly I haven’t been given a wiring diagram from where the handle came from or for the stereo so I’m sort of guessing but I’ve had a look online and seems to be the standard way to install it.

This time round I did try to use the relay filter thing that was in the kit (4 in the pic), negative filter to reverse light negative then positive filter to reverse light 12v, then on the out of the filter positive to the red/positive on 2 and 3, then negative on out of filter to negative on 3.

I then tried the 12v wire on stereo loom in the 2 trigger wire, with all the different camera settings (360, aftermarket, oem) and then tried the trigger wire on 2 connected to the pink wire (cam det) on stereo loom with all the different camera settings and still couldn’t get it to work.

I couldn’t find an earth/0v point to check if I was getting +12v from the stereo cable or cam det pink so that I’m still not sure of
The ground can be pretty much any point on the car body that has a clean non painted metal surface. Just use the round cross beam behind the dash or a support for it for the negative lead on your meter.

-Rich
      07-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #9
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The ground can be pretty much any point on the car body that has a clean non painted metal surface. Just use the round cross beam behind the dash or a support for it for the negative lead on your meter.

-Rich
Thank you. I think my brain wasn’t working correctly.

Just seen your message. I used the cigarette lighter negative.

360 cam/det wire on stereo loom
0v with ignition on and 0v when in reverse.

Cam + 12v on stereo loom
0v with ignition on and 0v when in reverse. So the camera + 12v wire definitely is not providing 12v and explains why it doesn’t work trying to get power from it.

So with the current wiring setup on the trigger wire (2) at the stereo end I am getting 1.5v falling down slowly (stopped checking at 1.1v) with ignition on and when in reverse it was a stable 10.26v. But not the 12v. I’m guessing that’s not good.

Not quite sure what to look at next. I’m guessing it needs that full 12v and the 10.26v isn’t enough.

Maybe I do need to loom for a 12v constant source from elsewhere like you said
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #10
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think what I am going to try now is run a constant 12v live from the fuse box (an unused 12v spot on the fuse board, seeing as it is all taken apart), run a 5amp fuse through it and then feed the wire up the dash to connect to the rca red wire on (2). Then I will run a separate wire from the 12v reverse light positive from the back all the way to the front and connect it to the 360 cam/det wire (pink) on the stereo loom.

Only thing i'm not sure of is if it will matter that it's a constant 12v feed rather than switched 12v, like when the ignition is on. But in theory the pink 360 cam/det wire has to be triggered for it to work so the camera shouldn't be on constantly until the pink wire is triggered by the reverse light.

That's what I am going to try and we will see what happens
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 02:14 AM   #11
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE:

So I’ve tried running a separate permanent 12v live feed (fused) from the fuse box into the stereo area to power the camera. I’ve also ran a wire from the rear reverse light positive into the stereo as a trigger wire for the 360/can det wire (pink).

So 2 stereo end trigger wire connected to 12v permanent fused feed, rca connected to video in, 3 negative to ground of reverse light, 3 positive to other end of 2, then single end of 3 into 1. RCA end 2 into RCA end 1. Then sepreate wire ran from positive of reverse light to pink 360/cam det wire on stereo loom (9).

Checked the voltages and I was reading the correct voltages at the stereo end and at the boot end of the power line and trigger line but it still doesn’t seem to work.

I have tried changing all the settings in factory settings too but still no joy.

I can’t see really why it wouldn’t work now. I’m wondering now if it’s to do with the settings in the stereo, can bus connections (but this are more for data?) or the camera itself is faulty
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 05:22 AM   #12
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have just managed to try another camera unit and it still doesn't work.

So it has to be the wiring or the stereo settings. From what I've looked at the wiring seems good, only thing I'm unsure of is if the can bus connections or wiring elsewhere could cause a problem? Or if it's the settings of the stereo.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm running out lol.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I was just scrolling through all of the settings and apps on my android headhunt/stereo and weirdly enough when I click on an app called "aux", it works; it shows what the rear view camera is seeing. If you then put it in reverse it will say no signal but if you go back into the aux app again while in reverse it shows what the rear camera (because of the constant 12v feed). So it is working but is coming through on the aux and is not showing in reverse. Would this mean anything to anyone and give any ideas with what I need to do now?

Last edited by Processing61; 07-10-2021 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Progress
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #13
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I when through this on my Ford Van.

The Android head unit I have has more than one video input.

The Aux input is for forward facing camera recording.

He other VIN(put) is for the rear camera on my unit.

I had my camera connected to the wrong input, so while the display would switch there would be no signal when backing up. I noticed that AUX was providing the rear camera feed and figured that I had things reversed.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #14
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
I when through this on my Ford Van.

The Android head unit I have has more than one video input.

The Aux input is for forward facing camera recording.

He other VIN(put) is for the rear camera on my unit.

I had my camera connected to the wrong input, so while the display would switch there would be no signal when backing up. I noticed that AUX was providing the rear camera feed and figured that I had things reversed.
Thanks. So are you saying it’s a wiring issue? Or a settings issue?

Here is a picture of my loom and the video inputs it has, my RCA for the rear camera is fed to (11) video in. I don’t have it connected to an aux connection, but it only shows when I go on the aux app on the Android unit
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 02:26 AM   #15
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I am starting to wonder if it’s the stereo loom that’s causing a problem.

As (10) red wire should be +12v, which it wasn’t it supplied no voltage. So that’s why I ran a separate 12v switched wire from the fuse box into the stereo. So I’m wondering if maybe the problem is the camera det wire (10). I’ve ran a wire from the reverse light positive to the can det wire on the stereo (10), but wonder if it actually doesn’t do anything seeing as the +12v red wire (10) didn’t do what it was suppose to do.

I’m thinking this because if I go onto that aux app when the ignition is on, I can see the camera, but no matter what settings I try throughout the stereo, the camera never shows on the proper reversing screen with the camera. And I know I’m getting around 11.3v at the stereo end on the reverse trigger wire. So I’m thinking it’s just never getting triggered, so won’t work properly no matter.

Do any of you have any ideas? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #16
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

If you see the camera when selecting AUX then the camera is always on.

That points to two wiring issues, the "trigger" is not wired properly and the camera video output is going to the wrong input feed.

This is the same thing I mistakenly did and corrected.

The 12v on my camera needed to be powered from my backup lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #17
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
If you see the camera when selecting AUX then the camera is always on.

That points to two wiring issues, the "trigger" is not wired properly and the camera video output is going to the wrong input feed.

This is the same thing I mistakenly did and corrected.

The 12v on my camera needed to be powered from my backup lights.
So if I'm understanding this correctly are you saying; on the DC power plug, the jack end goes into the camera, on the other end of the jack the positive end goes to a +12v switched ignition source, negative end goes to an earth/ground (like reverse light earth). Then the rca plugs into the RCA of the camera and then the rca red wire will connect to the 12v of the positive reverse light, this then runs up the car to the stereo and the rca connects to the "cam video in" of the stereo loom and the red wire off the RCA will connect to the trigger wire on the stereo loom. Is that right?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #18
accordfreak
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328i sedan

Did you figure out the issue? I have the same camera but I'm having a hard time figuring out the wiring
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 04:00 AM   #19
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordfreak View Post
Did you figure out the issue? I have the same camera but I'm having a hard time figuring out the wiring
I completely forgot about this thread. I don’t have the car anymore but I did sort the issue out. So I had one main issue which was making me complicate things, the wiring loom that came with the stereo didn’t have a proper input for the rear reversing camera. It had one RCA connection which would only show the camera if you went on the aux app within the stereo. But it wouldn’t display on the screen when the car went into reverse and you got the PDC screen. So I got the correct loom which had the correct rca input, I think it was labelled “Rev Cam In”.

So once that was correct starting from the DC power plug; DC power plug Jack end went to the camera female Jack end, the positive of the DC Jack went to the 12v reverse light, the negative of DC Jack to earth/negative of reverse light, then the rca with trigger wire plugs into the rca input “Rev cam in” from the android into wiring loom, i then connected the stereo end of the trigger wire to a red wire on the android loom which from memory was labelled (12v or trigger), then this cable is ran all the way to the reverse camera, where the rca is plugged into the camera rca and then the opposite end of the trigger wire is also wired with the DC power plug positive to the 12v reverse light wire.

Don’t hold me to this but I think with my setup I didn’t really need the trigger wire off the RCA. I could have just wired the DC power plug positive to the reverse light, negative to reverse negative, dc power plug into camera, plugged the rca in to cam, ran it up so the stereo, plugged the rca into “rev cam in” and left out the trigger wire from being wired in at both ends.

Sorry I haven’t got any pictures, trying to explain from memory.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:43 AM   #20
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

Cables 10 and 11 are the only ones you need for the reverse camera. The yellow rca plugs into 11 and the red short fly lead goes to 10 (this is at the head unit end). The long rca (yellow) then ends up in the boot lid routed accordingly. At the boot lid end the yellow rca goes to the camera and you then connect the red cable (positive) of the the 12v red barrel connector to the short red fly lead coming from the yellow rca. The black lead from that 12v barrel just needs to ground in the boot lid somewhere.

That’s all that’s needed. With the head unit set to aftermarket when you go into reverse it detects that action and activates the necessary 12v feed you’ve connected already. You don’t tap into anything else reverse orientated as the head units main loom is already in the original loom feeding the necessary info.

And you don’t need that extra little box doodad stabiliser thing either as you will have a stable 12v feed delivered via the long video rca cable to the boot.

By the way do yourself a favour and cut that long yellow rca about 15 inches back from the end that goes to the boot lid. You’ll never get that yellow rca through the rubber tube grommet. Once you’ve fed the infinitely easier small cable end through that tube from the boot into the boot lid (use some Vaseline and the wire taped to a sturdy long zip tie) and it’s in the boot lid just resolder and heat shrink the three internal wires together again (camera positive and negative and the single 12v feed) They’re 3 different colours so unless you’re colour blind it’s not difficult.

Last edited by jwilalex; 01-06-2022 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:57 PM   #21
OMGWTFALIX
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36 328i

Just some advice for anybody going ahead with this mod. Don't bother tapping into the reverse lights and using wireless rca cables. It doesn't draw enough power to work the camera. I tried this method first as getting the cable fed in an e91 is a pita compared to other models.

See also a few images below for setting and connections. Stupidly my red power tail had to be connected to the brown cable on the head unit to power it!

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #22
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTFALIX View Post
Just some advice for anybody going ahead with this mod. Don't bother tapping into the reverse lights and using wireless rca cables. It doesn't draw enough power to work the camera. I tried this method first as getting the cable fed in an e91 is a pita compared to other models.
I have an E91 and I used a wireless transmitter receiver for my reverse camera to avoid having to feed wires into the tailgate. You are correct that if you just wire to the reverse light it won't work while the engine is running, the reason is that the car uses pulse width modulation on the reverse light to reduce the voltage. You can code this out in the FRM then it will work perfectly. See the coding forum if you're not familiar with how to code the FRM.
Appreciate 0