E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help needed with resetting brake pad lights on dash

11-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Help needed with resetting brake pad lights on dash

So i decided to try and look through the hidden menu to see temps etc.

In the process of doing so i have managed to reset and now set of the stupid ping noise on my front and rear brake pad warning lights even though they have both been changed in the last 6 months.

I can get the menu up to reset them but it wont reset them, followed a few different youtube videos but my car aint doing what theres is, am i doing something wrong?

Please help before i loose my rag with it, been out there an hour playing with it
      11-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

11-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone got any idea i cant stand the pinging noise everytime i get in the car
      11-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

When you got the pads replaced they might not have replaved the worn pad sensors (bmw in their wisdom decided to make these independant of the pads)

You can bypass them by shorting them out (i have done so)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d
When you got the pads replaced they might not have replaved the worn pad sensors (bmw in their wisdom decided to make these independant of the pads)

You can bypass them by shorting them out (i have done so)
I changed the lot by myself with new sensors, i myself reset it to --------- by trying to access the hidden menu
      11-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Not sure what's wrong. It worked for me last time I had to do it:

Switch on the ignition
Press and hold the trip meter button for 10 seconds until the 1st maintenance service appears
Select the maintenance operation requesting to reset with the rocker switch on the turn signal stalk
To reset, press the BC button on the turn signal stalk until "RESET" appears

By pressing and holding the BC button on the turn signal stalk, the selected maintenance will be reset. When resetting an icon of a clock will appear. The operation is complete when a checked icon has appeared next to the word "RESET".
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
So i decided to try and look through the hidden menu to see temps etc.

In the process of doing so i have managed to reset and now set of the stupid ping noise on my front and rear brake pad warning lights even though they have both been changed in the last 6 months.

I can get the menu up to reset them but it wont reset them, followed a few different youtube videos but my car aint doing what theres is, am i doing something wrong?

Please help before i loose my rag with it, been out there an hour playing with it
If you reset it without changing the sensors then it will not reset.
It is not going to go away till you change your sensor.

Wait for the next service if you can live with that noise. OR change the sensor and reset it.
FYI, aftermarket sensors can also create these issues. I have tried two different aftermarket sensors but car did not reset. At the end I had to buy genuine bmw sensor and it worked without any issue.

Without being disrespectful, I cannot understand why people would use resistor / shorting method. Surely, if you drive bmw then be prepared to spend right amount of money for right type of service!
      11-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Sensor for telling that a brake pad is due for replacement is pointless and is only for people who do not know when brake pads need replacing.

For me its a cost that i do not need to pay. Id rather use my eyes and feel to know the state of my brake pads and keep the change for beer money
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Strange though as the fronts on mine when i chaned them beginning of the year had no sensors in place, but i stil managed to reset it on the dash then so why cant i now, its been fine until i was trying out the hidden menu and on menu 21 it just reset everything, i cant put up with it for that long, the miles i do they wont need changing for another 2 years.

I wonder if i unclip the sensor then put it back in that may work
      11-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

had this exact same issue happen to me few weeks back.

I was "Messing" with menus when i did more or less same thing and had rear brake pads warning come up. Countless resets did not work, Changed pads, even though did not need it, along with sensors, still nothing.

So off the BMW to have it coded out. The Indie said that too many attempts to reset had been made and the whole module had to be reset. So he disconnected battery and reset and hey presto Alarm gone.

Now i am not an expert, and was not there when he did what he did, so only going on what he said when i collected the car. Cost me £35!!

My Advice is to take to Stealer or indie what ever floats your boat and get it coded out!
      11-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Just traced and unclipped both front and back sensors with no luck, i refuse to pay bmw for sensors when i dont need new sensors, why do they have to have some crap way of you have to go in to a hidden menu in an akward way then it does silly stuff like this and theres no way of getting round it, cars got an ideive surely it would be easier to see running temps etc on that, if i didnt have to go in to a hidden menu it would now be fine
      11-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo
had this exact same issue happen to me few weeks back.

I was "Messing" with menus when i did more or less same thing and had rear brake pads warning come up. Countless resets did not work, Changed pads, even though did not need it, along with sensors, still nothing.

So off the BMW to have it coded out. The Indie said that too many attempts to reset had been made and the whole module had to be reset. So he disconnected battery and reset and hey presto Alarm gone.

Now i am not an expert, and was not there when he did what he did, so only going on what he said when i collected the car. Cost me 35!!

My Advice is to take to Stealer or indie what ever floats your boat and get it coded out!
Its absolutely crazy how they make these things so difficult, i have tried resseting each probably 20 times now so thats probably whats happened to mine, thanks for the heads up.

Anyone in chelmsford that does coding haha
      11-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

i had this on my car , rears were needing done , i tryed to just reset the light before i did the pads and it then brung on the front sensor lol

changed the rear set up with new sensor , went to do the front sensor (as the garage had done the pads and disks on the front i thought they maby tryed to save coin by not replaceing the sensor) unplugged the sensor and see i was given the wrong one from bmw lol

put the wheel back on , back into the car and reset the rear which worked , then just tryed the front again for the sake of it and boom the light went out :/

weird ass set up if you ask me!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 05:11 AM   #14
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Its a BMW money maker. My pads have been measured by the garage twice with 10k intervals inbetween. There has been hardly any wear and they still have 8mm but the CBS has gone from 20,000 to 4500.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335D, R6

just cut them a few inches from the connector box and trim the wire and solder or twiddle them together problem solved

I think its crazy that people should rely on electronics to tell them there pads are low, shouldn't be on the road if you cant check your cars roadworthiness.

Rant over ha
206 1.4, Sport Ka, 206 Gti, focus 1.8, Vectra 1.9 CDTi, Corsa 1.8 Sri, 206 Gti 180, Impreza Blobeye Sti Widetrack, Clio 172 Cup Track Car, E92 335D, Impreza Hatch STI, Evo IX FQ360MR, E92 M3 Competition
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #16
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-
just cut them a few inches from the connector box and trim the wire and solder or twiddle them together problem solved

I think its crazy that people should rely on electronics to tell them there pads are low, shouldn't be on the road if you cant check your cars roadworthiness.

Rant over ha
The thing that annoys ne is its worked out on miles, but chances are the light will come on before the pads need doing, for the majority of road users out there who get in a car and drive it and have no knowledge at all will drive it in to there local garage and be talked in to new stuff even though the car dont need it.

So by cutting the wires do you nean from the box to the sensor wire? Its akward to get in there, i dont see how it will change it though as its stil the same wire?
      11-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #17
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep

I mean where it connect the White plug? Unplug it and cut the wire about an inch or so away and twist the 2 bare wires that shorts it out done it on all my cars with them front and back on my e92 and rear on my sisters other halfs rear E60

Works a treat
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #18
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I mean where it connect the White plug? Unplug it and cut the wire about an inch or so away and twist the 2 bare wires that shorts it out done it on all my cars with them front and back on my e92 and rear on my sisters other halfs rear E60

Works a treat
Dan if this dont work you can send me new sensors in the post haha
      11-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep

I've drawn you a pic but trying to upload it at work is a nightmare!

It will work trust me
206 1.4, Sport Ka, 206 Gti, focus 1.8, Vectra 1.9 CDTi, Corsa 1.8 Sri, 206 Gti 180, Impreza Blobeye Sti Widetrack, Clio 172 Cup Track Car, E92 335D, Impreza Hatch STI, Evo IX FQ360MR, E92 M3 Competition
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep

obviously you cut it the sensor side not the wire that goes to the car :P just fool proofing it
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #21
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
obviously you cut it the sensor side not the wire that goes to the car :P just fool proofing it
Ha im not that stupid, il give it a go tommorow, im avoiding using the car so keep sensing the wife out.

The brake pad light and service sign, plus the warning triangle and the boinging is driving me mad, enough to put you in a mental home all the signs and noises haha
      11-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #22
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Ha im not that stupid, il give it a go tommorow, im avoiding using the car so keep sensing the wife out.

The brake pad light and service sign, plus the warning triangle and the boinging is driving me mad, enough to put you in a mental home all the signs and noises haha
You can never be to sure, ive asked someone to trim a wire for me while I go and get a drink come back and its been cuts so close to the the connector I had to fit a new pin and a new a wire

That bong noise is so annoying, even its even worse when you get DSC warning, abs warning, flat tyre monitoring and start assistance flag up! its like its playing deck the halls
Appreciate 0