E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need some advice pls!

11-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #23
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Nice and well done.
3 stage intake, eh! That was the plan for me.
Maybe in few years from now.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #24
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I was also having a misfire and swapped my plugs a couple weeks ago. It’s all good now for me.

Here’s the plug with 17k miles on it that I switched out of my misfire cylinder, but I also did change them all and they all looked like this.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #25
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I was also having a misfire and swapped my plugs a couple weeks ago. It’s all good now for me.

Here’s the plug with 17k miles on it that I switched out of my misfire cylinder, but I also did change them all and they all looked like this.

wow 17k miles and you were already having misfires . Do you run your car hard by any chance? , I believe you are full bolts on right?

The job itself is not hard , removing the stuff to get to it is the hardest or more time consuming part of the job . The plugs are cheap too so may as well change all of them.

I think I may change them every 2 years unless I have misfires again.

I bought my parts from rock auto , total with shipping and duty was 330 Canadian dollars which is 250 us dollars. But that included a spared coil and 2 spare spark plugs that I included just in case one coil or plug came defective.

I also purchased a 1 set of sockets ( metric and sae) with a 3/8 ratchet which included 2 spark plug sockets ( 5/8 being one) , set of metric and sae allen keys, set of extension ( 9 of them) , set of female torx sockets, and a set of torx , all on sale for a grand total of 75 canadian dollars. Not that best quality ( master craft) but I was able to do the job without any issues

Grand total with parts and all the tools was 300 us dollars or 400 canadian dollars. Now I'm going to keep all the tools , and still use them for other jobs that I want to do around the car ( cabin filter, air filter , etc ,etc)

I called the dealer and total price to do the job was 1200 canadian dollars or 900 us dollars
I called my indy shop , that has one of the best prices in my area and the total cost was 600 canadian dollars or 450 us dollars

I may do more DIYs in the future if I can save up that much money. Having 3 cars now really helps me trying out this DIYs , as I do not depend on this car as much as I did before.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #26
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
Nice and well done.
3 stage intake, eh! That was the plan for me.
Maybe in few years from now.
yea you should do it. The car feels right , that is the best way to describe it

In a way , it is like adding vtec to the car. Nothing crazy but the car becomes more fun , specially in the higher RPMs

Also if you are in canada , you could do headers, no more emission test next year. Although you would still pass emissions with headers in ontario
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #27
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Yes I run the car hard, but I’m not sure what was causing my misfire. I swapped my coils around, fixed a valvetronic gasket leak, and changed all the plugs at the same time. So far in 3 weeks the misfire hasn’t returned.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #28
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

learning how to repair your own car will literally save you tens of thousands of dollars over your lifetime.

Sure, I've got a few thousand dollars in tools, but I'm still way money ahead, and I don't fear much of anything mechanical these days.

after you've dropped a transmission in someone else's driveway with nothing more than the tools you brought across the country in the boot, you pretty much don't care.
Appreciate 1
rick100551.00