E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > -= 6NR ConnectedDrive Retrofit by Patrys =-

06-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #111
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
That does definitely help. Thank you for your prompt reply.

It's reassuring to know that no parts will need to be changed or removed to do updates in future.

I'm new to BMW ownership so forgive me if these questions seem obvious to some of you.

What is normal for frequency of software updates? Do people get these done every year, every couple years, or rarely? Will coding for these options be provided free of charge after future software updates? If they are free is there a limit to frequency or number (ie once every 2 years or once or twice total) If they are not provided free will the price be the usual 200$/coding or will a discount be provided.

I hope this isn't taken in the wrong way Patrys. I'm not trying to hound you, but I do want to know what to expect in the future after I get these services activated and it's information I haven't seen clearly spelled out anywhere by any of the vendors providing these retrofits.
Sorry for this late reply but I guess we already discussed it over emails in the meantime.

For other forum members interested in the 6NR here is my reply:

The software updates are performed by BMW only when it is necessary, e.g.
there is a problem with the car and they have instructions to update the software as a part of the fix (e.g. HPFP replacement requires the software update).
The software update is a risky process so they do not want to do it if they do not have to.

The cost of recoding is very competitive, but this is not the best place to discuss it.
Everyone interested in more details of the 6NR please contact us at info@bimmer-tech.net

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #112
collier65
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive Sports Wagon

Just a quick note to Patryk to say THANK YOU.

My situation was simple. I ordered a 328 Sports Wagon and I specified my desire for the 6NR option. After weeks of looking for a wagon my dealer found one they felt suited me and had all I desired. Being busy I accepted delivery on the car and found out after the fact that the option I desired was not included and my dealers response was sorry and that adding after the fact was impossible so, in short, no solution offered.

Not willing to accept that I went in search of a resolution to my dilemma on my own and I found Patryk. After he patiently answered numerous emails from me we struck a deal and I placed my order. Parts promptly arrived and shortly thereafter Patryk used remote access to link to a laptop attached to my car and performed his magic. I do need to add this was not a trouble free software update, my OSD connection had issues and Patryk spent hours diligently troubleshooting the issue and after midnight approached and went we called it a day and hit again the following day. Once my OSD isssue was identified we did what was necessary and everything was updated with an added bonus or two.

So short story long, I'll end this post saying that I highly recommend Patryk and his 6NR option.

Sincerely,
Collier
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #113
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by collier65 View Post
Just a quick note to Patryk to say THANK YOU.

My situation was simple. I ordered a 328 Sports Wagon and I specified my desire for the 6NR option. After weeks of looking for a wagon my dealer found one they felt suited me and had all I desired. Being busy I accepted delivery on the car and found out after the fact that the option I desired was not included and my dealers response was sorry and that adding after the fact was impossible so, in short, no solution offered.

Not willing to accept that I went in search of a resolution to my dilemma on my own and I found Patryk. After he patiently answered numerous emails from me we struck a deal and I placed my order. Parts promptly arrived and shortly thereafter Patryk used remote access to link to a laptop attached to my car and performed his magic. I do need to add this was not a trouble free software update, my OSD connection had issues and Patryk spent hours diligently troubleshooting the issue and after midnight approached and went we called it a day and hit again the following day. Once my OSD isssue was identified we did what was necessary and everything was updated with an added bonus or two.

So short story long, I'll end this post saying that I highly recommend Patryk and his 6NR option.

Sincerely,
Collier
Thank you Collier!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #114
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

Full Office integration with HTC Surround running Mango

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585953
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #115
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

Any downsides to retrofit?

I have a 2011 335is with Nav/Assist-Bluetooth/iPod-USB. I don't have phone integration. Are there any downsides to the install, lose any features for those gained?

Will this enable video in motion with iPod video in motion? Is iPod video full screen?

Does enabling 6NR change the location the car thinks it is in?

Also I'm in Northern Virginia, how would the retrofit be done if you don't have an installer in my area? I assume you would send a connection cable and remote access.

Last edited by KevinJ; 09-21-2011 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #116
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I have a 2011 335is with Nav/Assist-Bluetooth/iPod-USB. I don't have phone integration. Are there any downsides to the install, lose any features for those gained?

Will this enable video in motion with iPod video in motion? Is iPod video full screen?

Does enabling 6NR change the location the car thinks it is in?

Also I'm in Northern Virginia, how would the retrofit be done if you don't have an installer in my area? I assume you would send a connection cable and remote access.
Kevin,

Please send us your VIN at info@bimmer-tech.net and I will get back to you with more info.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #117
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
...snip

You no longer have to buy the new base plate and snap-in adapter to use the BMW Plugin and Video Playback!
Our 6NR ConnectedDrive Retrofit kit will let you enjoy all features of the 6NR option through the USB cable!

snip...
How is this possible?!??! This could be the solution to the lack of a snap-in adapter being available for the iPhone 5. I really miss the plugin functionality on my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #118
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

...and if I read the thread I would have known that Patrys doesn't want to divulge how he did this.

Either way, my point stands. This could be quite useful to those of us who want to fully utilize their OEM BMW Apps functionality with our iPhone 5's.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #119
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It looks like someone else has figured out this trick:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=17

It looks like they found an OEM BMW AV IN socket from another car (don't know which) as well as the associated BMW breakout (Y) cable. The cable appears to split out the analog audio and video pins from the 30-pin connector and feed them directly to the Combox.

The socket would hook in to the Combox similar to how the base plate would and would be seen by the Combox as a Snap-In adapter. You would need to code the Combox to receive analog signals to make the whole thing work though.

This issue is that this will not work with the iPhone 5 as I had thought. Since the iPhone 5's lightning connector does not have analog video output the whole idea falls apart.

Oh Well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #120
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

BimmerTech uses OEM parts to retrofit the 6NR by with the cradle or USB port solution.
As of today BMW has not released the new iPhone 5 snap-in adapter or the new iPhone 5 Y cable. It means that BMW Apps will still work with the Apple cable but BMW Plugin and video playback will not work until BMW releases new snap-in adapter or Y cable.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0