E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > automatic transmission question for anyone experienced with e90 or e46.

03-16-2024, 03:30 AM   #1
chris55552
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i

automatic transmission question for anyone experienced with e90 or e46.

Thinking of getting another 3 series e46 or e90 and wanted to ask anyone with experience with the automatic transmissions on both generations. I only have experience with manual transmissions but had the opportunity to drive automatics on the e46 a couple of times and even the e83 x3 had the type of transmission im looking for, im just trying to figure out which models have it.... So what im looking for is the automatics like the e46 had that had a remarkably smooth transition from gear to gear that almost made the shift seem like one constant linear acceleration from zero up to like 70mps or so. those gearboxes had the ability to function similar to dual clutches, in the sense they would start spinning the next gear prior to engaging it and the end result was a seamless smooth linear pull all the way from zero to the upper end of the mph. I only experienced it in a friends e46 330i and a 2007 or 2008 x3 automatic that had the same smoothness. I currently have a f25 x3 with an 8 speed zf but would like to know what models have that smooth shifting transmission feature. The f25 doesnt. I had an 2010 x3 with awd but the mechatronics sleeve went out on it so im not sure if that what was causing it to not shift smoothly like that. Any year model advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0