E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > inconsistent clutch engagement, slightly though

02-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

inconsistent clutch engagement, slightly though

i feel that my clutch engagement is never at the same point. at a complete stand still, i rev up to 1000 and let the clutch out. i bought the car used so i'm not entirely sure if my clutch is worn out (it has 58k miles on it).

i thought about doing the CDV but it seems that one would have to master the rpm catch points and revs otherwise i'll just burn out the clutch?

is there a service i can perform to bring the clutch engagement back to "normal" status? i'll probably be bringing it in for a brake fluid/clutch fluid flush also as it's been 2 years now so i might as well get some other things out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
TenshiWingusu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
i feel that my clutch engagement is never at the same point. at a complete stand still, i rev up to 1000 and let the clutch out. i bought the car used so i'm not entirely sure if my clutch is worn out (it has 58k miles on it).

i thought about doing the CDV but it seems that one would have to master the rpm catch points and revs otherwise i'll just burn out the clutch?

is there a service i can perform to bring the clutch engagement back to "normal" status? i'll probably be bringing it in for a brake fluid/clutch fluid flush also as it's been 2 years now so i might as well get some other things out of the way.
If you can drive a stick now you should be able to drive a stick after you take the CDV out. Not much changes other than having a clutch feel the way it is supposed to. Do the CDV mod and maybe get a clutch stop. I'm on my original clutch @ 82,000 miles tuned for the last 10k with no issues.
      02-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

+1 on the CDV delete and clutch stop.
CDV delete = free
Clutch stop = ~$10 shipped on ebay.

These two combined change the clutch engagement completely, giving the consistency you want. Just curious, what was your previous manual car?

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The CDV delete is not going to make anything that much more difficult to drive or master, it simply reduces the amount of slip at the initial release of the clutch. IF you want consistency remove the CDV and change the clutch fluid.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I did the cdv delete and clutch stop and still have what I consider to be too much inconsistancy and I find the car fairly difficult to drive smoothly (it's pretty embarrassing). I am not a great manual driver but I am better than this car makes me seem.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
I did the cdv delete and clutch stop and still have what I consider to be too much inconsistancy and I find the car fairly difficult to drive smoothly (it's pretty embarrassing). I am not a great manual driver but I am better than this car makes me seem.
How long have you been driving it?
Mine took a while to get used to, these are not easy cars to drive smoothly.
Something about a clutch made to withstand 700+ lb-ft of torque lol (assuming FS of 2.2)

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dont necessarily like clutch stops so try removing it. ( I doubt that is the problem but sometimes I fear it doesn't allow proper disengagement of the clutch).

In the meantime did you flush the fluid and bleed properly?

AS far as smoothness, are you referring to the 1-2 shift? That is very hard to get smooth on this car.

Is the actual pedal feel and engagement different from time to time? That may either be your clutch is on the way out or your fluid needs to be changed or bled.

My 335i had a very nice linear and consistent clutch pedal feel.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have had the car for almost one year. It could be that I need to rebleed the clutch since I had problems bleeding it when I did the cdv delete. I was planning on replacing the brake ffffluid this spring so I will do it then. I do have the most problems with the 1- 2 shift(which it seems most people do) but it is still inconsistent in the other gears as well. I have also noticed that it is much easier to drive when the clutch is cold. It just seems to get really grabby and hard to modulate when it is hot.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

OP here, i do have a clutch stop and it's a bit easier to drive. i'll do the CDV and brake flush to see how things pan out.

i've been driving manual for 2 years, this 335i for the last year. before i had an e36 m3 manual, the clutch seemed easier to work with, my 335i has too much chatter when engaging from a stop.

what's weird is that i read a lot about people having the jerky 1-2 shift but for me, i've seem to gotten that down. it's just the N-1 clutch engagement that bothers me.

the clutch stop that i have (the ebay one) has a soft bumper, so when i push the clutch pedal i feel the sponginess. then when i let the clutch pedal up a bit, there's some very slight squeakiness from down there.

i'll report back after i get the services done, hopefully it'll fix things.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have had the car for almost one year. It could be that I need to rebleed the clutch since I had problems bleeding it when I did the cdv delete. I was planning on replacing the brake ffffluid this spring so I will do it then. I do have the most problems with the 1- 2 shift(which it seems most people do) but it is still inconsistent in the other gears as well. I have also noticed that it is much easier to drive when the clutch is cold. It just seems to get really grabby and hard to modulate when it is hot.
More of this story is leading me to believe you need to re-bleed and change fluid? What fluid are you using?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's still on oem fluid. I have some motul to replace it with which I will do this spring as I said.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Anyone has an easy way to bleed the slave, let me know. I used a flex ratcheting wrench which needs to be flipped to tighten while pressure bleeding, so have to take the bleed bottle off which makes a mess. I did learn that you really don’t have to bleed to change fluid… if you change the brake fluid it will mix with the clutch side. Surprised me changing my fluid recently and it was all new from last brake bleed, even though I’ve never done it before.
Appreciate 0