E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > how do you guys clean engine bay?

01-28-2016, 03:10 AM   #23
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I cover the fuse box and alternator with plastic shopping bags, and use painter's tape to secure them. I then spray everything down with a 1/1 Simple Green solution. Let it soak for about 3 minutes, then I take a soft brush and go to work. I don't get a lot of grease or grime, as I have no leaks. Then I spray the whole thing down with a low-pressure nozzle. If I feel like doing a more complete job, I'll take the cover off. Otherwise, I can usually get the engine bay done in about 15 minutes.

The drying process is simple. Take a rag and dry as much as you can, wherever your hands will fit. I then take my air compressor and blow out the tight spaces and wipe off the water drops. Remove the plastic bags, and run the engine for five minutes. This is so that I can check I didn't break anything, and to use the heat to do some of the drying. I finish the plastic and rubber bits with conditioner. I don't use Armor All, as I hate that shiny look.

A lot of people here put in more work than I do, but to me it's not a top priority. I don't want the engine bay to look like a NYC cab, but it doesn't have to be new-from-factory clean. It's a decent car, but it's not an exotic car or a collector's car.
Appreciate 0