E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Is my N55 fu#ked?

12-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #45
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Not sure why people are driving you in such a poor direction...

A used engine swap is by far the quickest and easiest. Could possibly even the cheapest. You just take a risk in what you get. Most junkyards aren't offering nay kind of a warranty. If you go used, you have have the new engine in in an afternoon. It's not a hard job with the right tools and half-way decent wrenching abilities.

There is nothing wrong with rebuilding. Not sure why people think these engine are some mythical creature that can't be rebuilt. I did mine in my garage. Ghassan Automotive rebuilds them back to factory spec all day long and offers 2 years unlimited mile warranty. Not sure wtf people are talking about in this thread... A built motor will obvisouly cost much more (upgraded rods, pistons, et.).

I see you are the same guy that pm'd me about tracking his car and just recently adding meth. I am willing to bet either track driving and/or meth contributed to this rod knock. Were you logging on the dyno?

I personally would have it built if I were wanting a reliable ~500whp PS2 car. You clearly won't be doing this yourself though so I am guessing a built motor is out of your price range. DIY it can be done for <$5k. A shop? probably $8-10K, but talk to Ghassan... A factory spec rebuild should really be fine at that power level though...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #46
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Not sure why people are driving you in such a poor direction...

A used engine swap is by far the quickest and easiest. Could possibly even the cheapest. You just take a risk in what you get. Most junkyards aren't offering nay kind of a warranty. If you go used, you have have the new engine in in an afternoon. It's not a hard job with the right tools and half-way decent wrenching abilities.

There is nothing wrong with rebuilding. Not sure why people think these engine are some mythical creature that can't be rebuilt. I did mine in my garage. Ghassan Automotive rebuilds them back to factory spec all day long and offers 2 years unlimited mile warranty. Not sure wtf people are talking about in this thread... A built motor will obvisouly cost much more (upgraded rods, pistons, et.).

I see you are the same guy that pm'd me about tracking his car and just recently adding meth. I am willing to bet either track driving and/or meth contributed to this rod knock. Were you logging on the dyno?

I personally would have it built if I were wanting a reliable ~500whp PS2 car. You clearly won't be doing this yourself though so I am guessing a built motor is out of your price range. DIY it can be done for <$5k. A shop? probably $8-10K, but talk to Ghassan... A factory spec rebuild should really be fine at that power level though...
I only pm members who have earned my respect based on their keystrokes.
Yes, I'm the guy who PM'd you. Just to be clear, my car has never been "tracked." Car is FBO PS2, NO fuel upgrades, with a very conservative daily driver Wedge 93 pump gas tune.
...My garage is my driveway and wrenching outside in NE PA winters tends to suck.
...My budget is not really a concern. Wisely spending the money is my issue and I reached out to the forum members to make an informed decision.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #47
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

What is this vanos recall? I have a 2011 335 xdrive and I'm reading all these n55 engine failure posts and i don't want to deal with that shit
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #48
MTK24
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
What is this vanos recall? I have a 2011 335 xdrive and I'm reading all these n55 engine failure posts and i don't want to deal with that shit
Call your nearest BMW dealer.

Give them the last 7 of your VIN. Ask them if there was a vanos recall for your vehicle
      12-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #49
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
VANOS recall was done a month after I bought the car (04/16). As soon as I can erect and reinforce the HF portable garage I bought, I can start wrenching. Based on more research/reading, I'm certain that Weehee126's thoughts about bent rods, etc. are spot on.
Either way, the motor has to come out. According to the dealer who did the recall, the work carried a 24 month warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #50
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Mike do you have any logs of ur recent tune to share ? It might tell us alot.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 04:41 PM   #51
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

So what ever happened with the car?
Appreciate 0