E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Front turn signal not working

11-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
kevinyingyang
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW

Front turn signal not working

Hello all,

The front driver side turn light is not working and the side and rear lights are fine (but they blink twice faster than normal). I thought the front driver side turn bulb was out, so I swapped it (with socket) and the passenger side turn bulb with socket. But the left side bulb is fine after swapping into the right side, so this means that both bulbs are not out without any problem.

What is the reason? Headlight out? Please help. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
JohnPenz
John08
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Black SM/Black

I have the same problem. I posted at 7:23 last night. I have determined that the failure is do to a bad contact between the the light bulb socket and the housing it fits into. Both contacts were burnt. I replaced the socket and was able to get a connection if I backed the socket off of its full stop position in the housing. that was not a good connection though as a bump in the road would cause a disconnect. As a result of the bad contact in the housing the dealer recommends replacing the entire housing which also contains headlights. It's almost a $600 part and I am hoping for ideas from the forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
kevinyingyang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPenz View Post
I have the same problem. I posted at 7:23 last night. I have determined that the failure is do to a bad contact between the the light bulb socket and the housing it fits into. Both contacts were burnt. I replaced the socket and was able to get a connection if I backed the socket off of its full stop position in the housing. that was not a good connection though as a bump in the road would cause a disconnect. As a result of the bad contact in the housing the dealer recommends replacing the entire housing which also contains headlights. It's almost a $600 part and I am hoping for ideas from the forum.
Indeed, some part of the light bulb socket looks grayer (should be due to burning). It is rather expensive and also ridiculous to replace the whole headlight just because of this issue -- all other parts are perfect without any problems.

Please share your experience & solutions if you are lucky to get this resolved. Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
JohnPenz
John08
United_States
Rep

I agree. The last thing I want to do is spend a wad of money to get a turn signal working, especially with the other lights in the assembly working fine. If I find a solution I will let you know. Hopefully, the forum will offer up ideas.

Have you tried rotating the socket in the housing while the turn signal is on to see if you can find a connection? I was initially able to find a sweet spot by backing off from the full stop position. That did work for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
kevinyingyang
Rep

Quote:
I agree. The last thing I want to do is spend a wad of money to get a turn signal working, especially with the other lights in the assembly working fine. If I find a solution I will let you know. Hopefully, the forum will offer up ideas.

Have you tried rotating the socket in the housing while the turn signal is on to see if you can find a connection? I was initially able to find a sweet spot by backing off from the full stop position. That did work for awhile.
Hello, I swapped the left and right, but never tried rotation. I will look into it.

If you find a good contact, the turn signal bulb works, does the fast flashing still exist? or it will disappear automatically once everything is back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
JohnPenz
John08
United_States
Rep

Once you make contact, the flashing will return to the normal rate. You may also want to try gently bending the contact on the socket out slightly. Too much though and it would likely snap off.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
kabhatti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Alpine White

Garage List
2006 325I  [0.00]
Finally a simple fix for e90 indicator bulb intermittent work

After months of banging on the light to get it to work and applying bulb grease I got ready to fix this once and for all.

You're all going to love me for this! Simply take the bulb out of housing, take a small screwdriver and lift up the contacts slightly on each side of the bulb and stick it back in the housing while the light switch is on seeing the light bulb light up.

Wow, I'm so happy that after so many frustrating right turns I finally fixed it with the simplest of methods. No new light bulb, no new headlight, no nothing.

Enjoy, passing it forward!

Quote:
      01-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #8
GOTUBCH
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

We drive BMWs who uses turn signals?
Appreciate 0