E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine Blown after OFHG replacement

05-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
Drop Top Jah
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Convertible

Engine Blown after OFHG replacement

Hey guys, I got my ofhg changed this past Friday and after I picked it up from the shop the engine blew about 24 hours later. I was driving and got the low oil pressure light and then the car pretty much seized up. The car had oil in it and there didn't seem to be any Leakes it really happened pretty abruptly. There was plenty of oil in the car and there wasn't any coolant mixed into the oil so I'm thinking it was a botched job. Possibly wrong instillation that caused a block somewhere. I guess it might be the for me to lawyer up.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Top Jah View Post
Hey guys, I got my ofhg changed this past Friday and after I picked it up from the shop the engine blew about 24 hours later. I was driving and got the low oil pressure light and then the car pretty much seized up. The car had oil in it and there didn't seem to be any Leakes it really happened pretty abruptly. There was plenty of oil in the car and there wasn't any coolant mixed into the oil so I'm thinking it was a botched job. Possibly wrong instillation that caused a block somewhere. I guess it might be the for me to lawyer up.
that's terrible to here, sorry
i don't know what the link here is. its possible they drained the oil and forgot to refill it and started the car, then realized their mistake and added oil prior to your pickup.
OR
did they not reinstall the oil filter cage or damage the small o ring somehow?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
Drop Top Jah
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
that's terrible to here, sorry
i don't know what the link here is. its possible they drained the oil and forgot to refill it and started the car, then realized their mistake and added oil prior to your pickup.
OR
did they not reinstall the oil filter cage or damage the small o ring somehow?
Yea, I really loved that car I am pretty bummed about it. But I'm not really sure, I had it towed back up to them yesterday and they have not called me with their "theory" about what happened. I doubt they will be forthright about it and I imagine it's going to be hell trying to get them to cut me a check for a new engine and install. I know that It can't be a coincidence that my engine blows a day after having them fix something that involves playing around with the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Yea, I really loved that car I am pretty bummed about it. But I'm not really sure, I had it towed back up to them yesterday and they have not called me with their "theory" about what happened. I doubt they will be forthright about it and I imagine it's going to be hell trying to get them to cut me a check for a new engine and install. I know that It can't be a coincidence that my engine blows a day after having them fix something that involves playing around with the engine.
I've read it happening to more than a few people here unfortunately.
my thoughts are -
-they stuffed a rag or something to prevent debris falling into the block side oil holes and forgot to remove it
-they didn't block those block side oil holes and debris fell in there
-didn't install oil filter cage and/or damaged the smaller o ring
-started engine without adding oil and realized it after running it
-didn't crank engine to build pressure prior to starting
-or it could all be a strange coincidence (least likely option)

personally id want to be there and witness their "inspection"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Drop Top Jah
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
I've read it happening to more than a few people here unfortunately.
my thoughts are -
-they stuffed a rag or something to prevent debris falling into the block side oil holes and forgot to remove it
-they didn't block those block side oil holes and debris fell in there
-didn't install oil filter cage and/or damaged the smaller o ring
-started engine without adding oil and realized it after running it
-didn't crank engine to build pressure prior to starting
-or it could all be a strange coincidence (least likely option)

personally id want to be there and witness their "inspection"
I should have been smh. He just called and pretty much denied any possibility that it could be his fault. He was actually pretty defensive and hostile about it. So I'm getting it towed from his shop and will be contacting my lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
There is actually an oil priming procedure from BMW on the N55 engine after changing the oil filter housing gasket. If this procedure is not done, damage to the engine bearings can result.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Drop Top Jah
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
There is actually an oil priming procedure from BMW on the N55 engine after changing the oil filter housing gasket. If this procedure is not done, damage to the engine bearings can result.
I've been seeing that! But how can I prove he did not prime the oil?

Last edited by Drop Top Jah; 05-05-2020 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: wrong use of words
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
I've been seeing that! But how can I prove he did not prime the oil?
I feel like if the engine is torn down and the bearings are scorched in it (which is likely the issue) the engine was not primed. Also if the shop didn't document it, it likely wasn't done.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Subbed ...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 09:35 PM   #10
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

You don't need to drain oil prior to ofhg replacement. You can drain coolant if you want. Oil change is advisable after replacement get rid of any crud or leaked coolant when you remove the housing.
So I'm not sure why you'd have no oil in the car. Besides wouldn't your cel go off?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #11
Drop Top Jah
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
You don't need to drain oil prior to ofhg replacement. You can drain coolant if you want. Oil change is advisable after replacement get rid of any crud or leaked coolant when you remove the housing.
So I'm not sure why you'd have no oil in the car. Besides wouldn't your cel go off?
There was oil in the car it just wasn't making it into the engine. No CEL literally got the low oil pressure warning and it blew 10 seconds later.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #12
Drop Top Jah
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I feel like if the engine is torn down and the bearings are scorched in it (which is likely the issue) the engine was not primed. Also if the shop didn't document it, it likely wasn't done.
Ok thanks! I've been calling around still haven't found a mechanic willing to testify in court on my behalf if need be.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The shop should have business insurance to cover faulty repairs. Call the local BBB.
Appreciate 0