E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD wifi and waze

01-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep
Drives: 335is DCT

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
2009 E92 328i xdrive  [0.00]
MHD wifi and waze

When I got my orange MHD wifi dongle a couple of months ago, i was able to connect and monitor and then split screen my galaxy s10 and have waze on the other half. The past few weeks, if I have MHD up, waze is searching for the internet. Which means I'm not showing where the good guys are that remind me to good. So If I'm wireless its either MHD or waze and not both. Anyone else having this issue?

Couple of things...
Wifi is set to MHD
Switch to mobile data is on

TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep
Drives: 2007 6MT 335i upgraded twins

yeah man.. That's my beef with the MHD wireless setup. If you're on Wifi, your phone will automatically use Wifi for data, even if the Wifi signal has no internet connection.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerr View Post
yeah man.. That's my beef with the MHD wireless setup. If you're on Wifi, your phone will automatically use Wifi for data, even if the Wifi signal has no internet connection.
But how was I able to do it before??? I can be on my wifi hooked up to my office or home network and still be on waze putting in directions. If I have MHD connected on wifi, I lose waze???

I'm wondering if I was able to use both on v1.8 and now I can't on v1.9.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Well, there's a big difference there. your office and home network WiFi routers have an internet connection.
in a situation where you're connected to the internet via WiFi, it will both provide live updates of Waze AND make it more accurate, because the Wifi router has its address branded to it.

While you're connected to the wifi of your MHD wireless dongle, you WILL be able to use GPS as normal (In areas you frequent) but there will be no live updates because your phone is designed to ONLY receive a data connection through Wifi while connected to any Wifi signal. Your cellular connection will only be used for traditional texts and cellular calls.

This has nothing to do with MHD software, it's just how cell phones are designed to operate to limit cellular data load on CSP infrastructure.

It's a real bummer because the primary reason most people wanted wireless was because they wanted to be able to charge their phones while running MHD and other apps, but this design flaw screws the pooch.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, there's a big difference there. your office and home network WiFi routers have an internet connection.
in a situation where you're connected to the internet via WiFi, it will both provide live updates of Waze AND make it more accurate, because the Wifi router has its address branded to it.

While you're connected to the wifi of your MHD wireless dongle, you WILL be able to use GPS as normal (In areas you frequent) but there will be no live updates because your phone is designed to ONLY receive a data connection through Wifi while connected to any Wifi signal. Your cellular connection will only be used for traditional texts and cellular calls.

This has nothing to do with MHD software, it's just how cell phones are designed to operate to limit cellular data load on CSP infrastructure.

It's a real bummer because the primary reason most people wanted wireless was because they wanted to be able to charge their phones while running MHD and other apps, but this design flaw screws the pooch.
Again though, how would I have been able to do this when I first got the MHD wifi? I would have waze on the top and and could update police hiding out or pot holes and MHD would be on the bottom running e85 fuel mixture, torque, boost and AIT's.

And shouldn't the cellular be able to work with the wifi? If you have the mobile data selected?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutts View Post
Again though, how would I have been able to do this when I first got the MHD wifi? I would have waze on the top and could update police hiding out or potholes and MHD would be on the bottom running e85 fuel mixture, torque, boost and AIT's.

And shouldn't the cellular be able to work with the wifi? If you have the mobile data selected?
Maybe I am not understanding you?

I was under the impression that you meant you were on your home Wifi when you were using Waze.

I have an S9, not an S10, so maybe your phone has additional features. a quick way to verify if its the MHD app or your phone causing you to have no data connection is to go home, physically disconnect your wifi router from your modem (or if you have a 2 in 1 disconnect your modem from the signal) so that you can still connect to your Wifi but the Wifi has no internet access.

With your phone connected to the Wifi (with the wifi having no internet connection) try to watch a youtube video.

If the video loads and plays, you know the problem is with the MHD app

If the video does not load, then I have no idea how it worked before but it wasn't supposed to lol

That's a free way to start diagnosing your issue. All that I know is that my S9 will absolutely not connect to the internet while also connected to a wifi signal. I had the same issue when connected to my GoPro hero via wifi.

It is for these reasons that I have decided to use an android based head unit to replace my cic.. now I can have the MHD display in my dash and a hardline connection to the DME AND charge my phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Did you figure anything out? I am curious about the results.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #8
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you figure anything out? I am curious about the results.
I did, and I failed... I'm back to wondering if in the 1.8 is when I was able to do this though. My wife is my witness as she would get impatient with me setting up waze and mhd before we left the driveway or parking space.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #9
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Quote:
I did, and I failed... I'm back to wondering if in the 1.8 is when I was able to do this though. My wife is my witness as she would get impatient with me setting up waze and mhd before we left the driveway or parking space.
That is super strange. Maybe try getting Waze going and THEN connecting to the wifi adapter? I know that when I had my old setup, if I got it to start wireless charging before I connected the obd port, it would charge.... sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:35 PM   #10
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Also, please try this as well. I would really like to get you sorted because if you can get it to work, then its a new option for me! lol

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible...nected-to-wifi
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Also, please try this as well. I would really like to get you sorted because if you can get it to work, then its a new option for me! lol

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible...nected-to-wifi

Well I gave it good try. I learned some new tricks regarding my phone since I'm still new to the android platform coming from the dark world of iphones. But still no luck. If we were connecting with bluetooth, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Looks like the next move may be an upgraded head unit and plugging the mhd into that.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Quote:
Well I gave it good try. I learned some new tricks regarding my phone since I'm still new to the android platform coming from the dark world of iphones. But still no luck. If we were connecting with bluetooth, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Looks like the next move may be an upgraded head unit and plugging the mhd into that.
Thats a bummer, I was hoping it would work out!

Eonon is the way to go for sure, the best part is if your car already had navigation you can get a setup that looks OEM+ and have better functionality. Plus you can hardwire your MHD so you don't have to worry about battery drain.

Best of luck, sorry I couldn't help sort this out any better!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
As a technology-inclined person, I see this all the time and it's such a bad design. WiFi is for network connectivity. It isn't for sensors, dongles, and the like. That's what we have Bluetooth for. The fact that the MHD people used WiFi for an OBDII adapter is stupid. That being said, I think OBDII adapters in general are pretty dumb. They can cause battery drain and even alarm system false alarms, and every car has only one port so you can't have multiple things going on at the same time.

According to the MHD site: "While using the MHD wireless adapters your phone LTE/4G data connectivity and bluetooth all remain active". I would contact MHD support. They'll probably blame the phone instead of poor design, but hopefully they'll help you to get your phone to remain connected to both mobile and WiFi networks at the same time. If they can't resolve the issue, demand a refund.

Their published FAQ's on why they didn't use Bluetooth shows their glaring lack of understanding of the differences between the two protocols.
Appreciate 1
Knerr106.00