E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Very rough idle on cold start - help! FIXED!!!!!

02-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #23
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
I guess I can't speak for every case, but did you have a mosfet go bad that didn't take out a cylinder? I'm not aware of that possibility, and he's not getting any misfire codes. Also, he just replaced all the injectors on your first sure advice and that did nothing for his issue. I'm saying he should get a log and go from there. He can check the mosfets out too, but even that isn't totally conclusive, as many have tested fine but still caused issues.
Pardon my ignorance, but how do I get a log? Yes, I have DIS and INPA, do those have logging functionality? The car is not tuned - it's completely stock other than the turbos.
You can log with mhd and jb4.

Wait your running rb turbos with no tune!?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #24
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but how do I get a log? Yes, I have DIS and INPA, do those have logging functionality? The car is not tuned - it's completely stock other than the turbos.
That's my bad. I saw that you had aftermarket turbos and assumed you had a tune. Regardless, the MHD N54 Android app is what I use, and you can also use it even if you don't use their tunes. The app is free and allows you to use your phone to read codes and clear them, but the monitor module add-on is what you need to take logs and it costs $69. It's a very simple and intuitive process. The other 2 things you'll need are a K+DCAN OBD2 cable and a USB OTG adapter. Here are a couple links to the cheap ones that are working just fine for me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-DCAN-OBD2...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-3-1-T...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #25
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
That's my bad. I saw that you had aftermarket turbos and assumed you had a tune. Regardless, the MHD N54 Android app is what I use, and you can also use it even if you don't use their tunes. The app is free and allows you to use your phone to read codes and clear them, but the monitor module add-on is what you need to take logs and it costs $69. It's a very simple and intuitive process. The other 2 things you'll need are a K+DCAN OBD2 cable and a USB OTG adapter. Here are a couple links to the cheap ones that are working just fine for me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-DCAN-OBD2...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-3-1-T...72.m2749.l2649
I bought the car with JB4 and the car had massive limp mode after limp mode. Finally fixed it after DME was replaced and the car has been trouble-free for several years until now. But I'd already removed the JB4 while troubleshooting the limp mode and I'm hesitant to install it back. But now looks like I have no choice, at least just to grab the logs.

Last edited by musa; 02-14-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #26
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep
Drives: 2007 6MT 335i upgraded twins

Quote:
I bought the car with JB4 and the car had massive limp mode after limp mode. Finally fixed it after DME was replaced and the car has been trouble-free for several years until now. But I'd already removed the JB4 while troubleshooting the limp mode and I'm hesitant to install it back. But now looks like I have no choice, at least just to grab the logs.
RB Turbos for years without a tune... that is sketchalicious.

Definitely need to get that log. And a proper tune. $400 well spent and it'll double your wheel horsepower.

Also, if you're going to throw free parts at your car, I would start with the high-pressure sensor. two years old is not "new"
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #27
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep
Drives: 2007 6MT 335i upgraded twins

wait are you running stock catted downpipes too?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #28
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerr View Post
RB Turbos for years without a tune... that is sketchalicious.

Definitely need to get that log. And a proper tune. $400 well spent and it'll double your wheel horsepower.

Also, if you're going to throw free parts at your car, I would start with the high-pressure sensor. two years old is not "new"
Yeah, the free parts are coming in tomorrow from FCPEURO lifetime warranty program - HPFP and the two sensors. I bought the LPFP just in case. The LPFP has unlimited return period as long as it's not been installed. The car still has the original one. Fortunately the labor is all mine in this endeavor.

Last edited by musa; 02-14-2020 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #29
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update:

Replaced the HPFP and look what I found! Good Lord! The shaft on the pump that interfaces with the engine was completely broken off. So for sure it was the HPFP the was causing the issue. You can see the difference on what a new pump looks like. This now leaves a big question - is this a normal failure point? What could have caused this? Is there a bigger problem lurking in the woods? How does that part get driven?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:00 AM   #30
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Update:

Replaced the HPFP and look what I found! Good Lord! The shaft on the pump that interfaces with the engine was completely broken off. So for sure it was the HPFP the was causing the issue. You can see the difference on what a new pump looks like. This now leaves a big question - is this a normal failure point? What could have caused this? Is there a bigger problem lurking in the woods? How does that part get driven?
Hope your issues are resolved now. If the car runs fine do a proper log and post it,

Your never going to properly enjoy the car if your paranoid about something going wrong. You can deal with it if it happens.

Now you need a custom tune, your missing out on a significant amount of power/drivability improvements by running RB's without a tune.

Last edited by Saif2018; 08-19-2020 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0