E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > MULF2 to MULF2 HIGH

02-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
najericam
Private
Malta
Rep
Drives: 320D - E93

MULF2 to MULF2 HIGH

So, I got e93 2008 that factory came with Professional radio and MULF2, so only BT, no USB.

Some time ago I replaced the radio as of faulty display. New radio is from LCI model but everything worked without any coding, BT as well, so I just left it as it is.

Later I got K+DCAN cable to do some coding and I done it successfully but if I remember correctly I was never able to read 2RAD from NCS Expert. I tought this is as I replaced it with new one and did not care that nmuch as everything was working fine.

Now I finally got MULF2 HIGH because of USB and I simply replaced it with my old MULF2. Result is that BT is still working (different name due to different VIN I guess) and USB is shoving on radio, without any coding but it is not pen drive. (I guess it was from a car with USB :/).

Then I decided to cjange VO and add missing $6LF option, but I flashed it (FA_WRITE) only to CAS module as I was missing other one from guide I found online (it was LA or LSA). After this car went a bit crazy, I was not able to read modules via NCS, a lot of errors, disconnected modules in ISTA, etc. So I removed $6LF from VO and flashed CAS again. Car came back to normal and in meantime I found that other module that needs to be flashed is FRM or I hope so in my case NFRM. I changed VO again and flashed both CAS and NFRM. After this car was not going crazy, I can access any module from NCS but still not 2RAD and now 2MULF. USB is still not reading and just wanted to know is it possible to code them with K+DCAN cabe or no?

Below are some screen shots of errors and module map from ISTA without any errors - current state of the car. Any ides why USB is not reading or can I do anything with what I have? Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Cars made after 3/07 require and Icom to code modules on the
Most Bus which includes the Head Unit as far as I know.
If USB was not available in the time period your car was built
you also have to change the production date to a later one
to get the software to load for the option that was not available
with the earlier production date.

This is all kind of nebulous but most report this .
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 05:31 AM   #3
najericam
Private
Malta
Rep

Mulf2 High is same production date as car, end of 2008 so USB was available. New head unit it's a bit newer and alread will USB enabled. Now strange thing tha USB port is completely dead, no power on it as well. And for sure USB was enabled on MULF2 HI from donor car, as it came with peace of USB cable - logic???

Can be that USB on new MULF module is faulty? :/
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

In early car the USB came through a USB Hub which was on
the US Driver side kick panel.

Look up ULF in the the tis web site it shows pictures of this.

Don't know if you need the Hub but it also had its own fuse
I believe.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

There are a lot more threads on the mulf hardware in the stereo section.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
najericam
Private
Malta
Rep

No need for a hub from what I saw online, just if you want another USB in glove box.

Anyway everything is working fine. Problem was in USB cable as I got FAKRA connector and peace of a cable with module and decided to make one on my own for the time being until I get proper sable and USB socket - by the way, anyone know part number or length of USB/AUX cable from central console to MULF in the trunk?

So, back to why it was not working. I found on some Russian site this picture below which is correct from one side, but I put in my head that connector on the picture is connector of a cable and colors were matching perfectly. Later I realized that connector is actual one of the module itself and basically I had power going to D+ and D-. Ouch... Fortunately nothing got fried I swapped wires and everything is working. I just tried to measure if there is 5V coming out of MULF and than I realized I have 5V on DATA wires. So, anyone who is making own cable from this picture take a note of this.

Only thing is to see if I will be able to access at leas 2RAD somehow with K+DCAN or no, but for now is not that important.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I have seen cable's for this online with the aux and usb end looking
like the center console pod.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #7
najericam
Private
Malta
Rep

Yeah, me too but they usually 1.5 mtrs long, and I think that will be short. I ordered one just with regular USB at the end, just for testing but I managed to build something from cabla that came with module. Also, I like OEM, frome some reason, so I'd like to get OEM socket and cable.
Appreciate 0