E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DSC coding

01-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
heze
Private
Rep
Drives: E70 LCI

DSC coding

Good afternoon all,

In the subforum X5/X6 on this forum I placed a question about the coding of the DSC of an E70, but since the X5/X6 forum is not as comprehensive as the 3series-forum, I would like to notify you guys of the existence of my post, and hopefully someone of you can help me solving this issue.

Please see here for the link to the original post:
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1575668

Is there someone who can help me with the problem: not possible to code the DSC of my E70?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Hendrik Zeilstra.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heze View Post
Good afternoon all,

In the subforum X5/X6 on this forum I placed a question about the coding of the DSC of an E70, but since the X5/X6 forum is not as comprehensive as the 3series-forum, I would like to notify you guys of the existence of my post, and hopefully someone of you can help me solving this issue.

Please see here for the link to the original post:
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1575668

Is there someone who can help me with the problem: not possible to code the DSC of my E70?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Hendrik Zeilstra.
Do you have ISTA/D? Did you run the DSC valve calibration routine and steering angle sensor reset yet? If not, do both of those with ISTA/D and then try to default code it again.
      01-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

What is the problem with the old DSC? If it's the pump the actual DSC unit will be fine.

Just swap the new pump onto the original DSC unit. No coding required. Just bleed the brake and perform the DSC Adjustment with ISTA D.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
heze
Private
Rep

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Below the answers:

- I have ISTA-D. Tried steering angle procedure, but at the end of ISTA said that it did not succeed. I did not do the valve calibration yet. I will try this tomorrow and come back to you with the answer.

- The old DSC was faulty (former owner jumpstarted with polarity reversed, toasting a number of modules). After 10 weeks of measuring and replacements I now only have major problems with the FRM3 and the DSC.

I updated all modules with SP-daten 53. I will also try with V66 as soon as possible.

All suggestions are still welcome!
Best regards Hendrik.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Thanks for the prompt replies!

Below the answers:

- I have ISTA-D. Tried steering angle procedure, but at the end of ISTA said that it did not succeed. I did not do the valve calibration yet. I will try this tomorrow and come back to you with the answer.

- The old DSC was faulty (former owner jumpstarted with polarity reversed, toasting a number of modules). After 10 weeks of measuring and replacements I now only have major problems with the FRM3 and the DSC.

I updated all modules with SP-daten 53. I will also try with V66 as soon as possible.

All suggestions are still welcome!
Best regards Hendrik.

If I remember correctly, when I replaced my 335i ABS/DSC unit with a M3 unit I flashed it with WinKFP to update the VIN, then ran DSC valve calibration and some operational routine, then I think you have to do the steering angle reset, if ISTA doesn't work you can try Tool32, and then you should be able to default code it with NCS Expert. I know NCS Expert won't work until these other things are done and errors gone, at least for me it didn't.
      01-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
heze
Private
Rep

Thanks again for the answers. Below the answers:

- I cannot find the valve calibration in ISTA-D. I think this procedure is not available for the E70. Adjusting steering sensor was not succesfull in ISTA.

- In tool32, reading parameters is possible, but writing parameters is not possible. Changing VIN is not possible. It returns 'ECU conditions not correct'.

- The same error is returned in NCS-expert when I try to write something to the DSC. Equal to Tool32, reading is also possible with NCS...

I also changed the VIN back to the former VIN with WINKFP. Now all the VIN's are reading the same (but not correct to the car). This did not influency the results from above.

Anyone having another idea?

Thanks again!
Best regards Hendrik

Last edited by heze; 01-22-2019 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
perth1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi,
I have had assistance on this forum to get my DSC coded. It didn't go through at first attempt, but I got it working after a couple of attempts.

You describe 'Now all VINs are reading the same' Yes, that would be one of the conditions before you can get your DSC working. Have you fitted some second hand modules to your vehicle? Second hand DME, CAS etc?

For the steering angle sensor calibration, one of the advices here was to wriggle the steering wheel slightly while sending the command. Only like 0.5 degree movements.
Can't tell you 100% if that is necessary, but I felt that it helped in getting the command through.

Then I had problems with the pressure sensor calibration sequence. I probably had some air bubbles still in the system, so it took several retries before the DSC accepted it as successful calibration.

I also used the ProTool app for some of the steps, not only the BMW tools.
It could be worth a try, as the app may have fewer 'checks' before allowing you to do certain things.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again for the answers. Below the answers:

- I cannot find the valve calibration in ISTA-D. I think this procedure is not available for the E70. Adjusting steering sensor was not succesfull in ISTA.

- In tool32, reading parameters is possible, but writing parameters is not possible. Changing VIN is not possible. It returns 'ECU conditions not correct'.

- The same error is returned in NCS-expert when I try to write something to the DSC. Equal to Tool32, reading is also possible with NFS...

I also changed the VIN back to the former VIN with WINKFP. Now all the VIN's are reading the same (but not correct to the car). This did not influency the results from above.

Anyone having another idea?

Thanks again!
Best regards Hendrik
So you have some things to do:

- code DSC with NCS Expert Expert Mode
- ISTA D Steering angle Adjustment
- ISTA D DSC Adjustment (you call it calibration)

Then it should be fine. I'm pretty sure changing the vin is not essential.
Appreciate 1
JJT2110.00
      01-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #9
heze
Private
Rep

Good afternoon sir,

Thanks for your response.

The VIN inside the DSC is now equal (read via Tool32 is the same as read from INPA), but this is the former VIN and not equal to the rest of the car!

Lots of modules have been changed (VDM, FRM, DSC, CA). I will try to check the VIN of all the modules but I can only see the last 7 digits of the VIN.

The VIN of almost every module was changed / corrupt because of the reversed polarity jumstart by the previous owner... Most of them are back to the original VIN number now...

DME and CAS (the two with the VO inside) did both survive.

Did you do this procedure for an E70 or another car? I do not recognize the pressure test as you are explaining in your message...

In case someone wants to log in via team viewer, we can arrange this.

Thanks again!
Best regards Hendrik

Last edited by heze; 01-22-2019 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
heze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
So you have some things to do:

- code DSC with NCS Expert Expert Mode
- ISTA D Steering angle Adjustment
- ISTA D DSC Adjustment (you call it calibration)

Then it should be fine. I'm pretty sure changing the vin is not essential.
Thanks for your response.

- Coding is not possible, it returns error 'ECU condition not correct' in Tool32 and also in NCS-expert. This is my main problem at the moment.
- ISTA D steering angle adjustment procedure did not succeed.

With best regards Hendrik
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
heze
Private
Rep

So a small wrapup of the problem on my E70 BMW X5:

- Programming the latest firmware in the DSC was succesfull both with ISTA-P and WINKFP.
- Standard coding was rejected by ISTA-P, Tool32 and NCS-expert.

Error ISTA-P: SYS0005: ECU description file not found
Error Tool32 and NCS-expert: Ecu conditions not correct or request sequence error.

It is also not possible to change the VIN with Tool32. It returns the same error from above.

Main question is: what are the ECU conditions which prevent the DSC from coding...?

Last edited by heze; 01-22-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

- Programming the latest firmware in the DSC was succesfull both with ISTA-P and WINKFP.

Error Tool32 and NCS-expert: Ecu conditions not correct or request sequence error.

It is also not possible to change the VIN with Tool32. It returns the same error from above.

Main question is: what are the ECU conditions which prevent the DSC from coding...?
What's fault codes are present now?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #13
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:

If you successfully updated the DSC module with WinKFP, you input the VIN of the car that it's going in as part of the process. Did you not do this? Did WinKFP not require you to enter the VIN as part of the flashing process? This would write the VIN to the module as well as update the software and you should be able to confirm this with your UIF. I am I misunderstanding something here?
      01-23-2019, 12:36 AM   #14
heze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
If you successfully updated the DSC module with WinKFP, you input the VIN of the car that it's going in as part of the process. Did you not do this? Did WinKFP not require you to enter the VIN as part of the flashing process? This would write the VIN to the module as well as update the software and you should be able to confirm this with your UIF. I am I misunderstanding something here?
I flashed with WINKFP together with the VIN-number of the car.
In INPA (UIF) it can be seen that the VIN is changed to the CAR's VIN, but when I read the VIN with Tool32 (c_fg_lesen), it still displays the old VIN-number. Try to change the VIN in Tool32 with (c_fg_schreiben and c_fg_auftrag) resulted in the error message 'ECU conditions not correct' again.

Two different VIN's in one ECU seems not right, so I flashed the ECU again with the original number. Now the VIN reads the same in INPA and Tool32, but it is the former, not the correct VIN. This did not help --> coding is still not possible.

With best regards Hendrik.

Last edited by heze; 01-23-2019 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 12:39 AM   #15
heze
Private
Rep

Quote:
What's fault codes are present now?
I will come back to this lateron this day.

Last edited by heze; 01-23-2019 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:53 AM   #16
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Also, did you try the vin job: c_fg_auftrag??? Please try. With 18 digit VIN (vin + check digit).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #17
heze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Also, did you try the vin job: c_fg_auftrag??? Please try. With 18 digit VIN (vin + check digit).
Good afternoon,

Yes, this is also not possible. Same error message.

Best regards Hendrik
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
heze
Private
Rep

Quote:
I will come back to this lateron this day.
After clearing the errors, the error memory remains empty for about 5 minutes, after that the following errors are present in the DSC:

E R R O R M E M O R Y
---------------------------------------

Date: 23.01.2019 17:23:30
ECU: DXC_70
JobStatus: OKAY
Variant: DXC_70
-------------------------------------------------------------

RESULT: 6 error in error memory !

5E6D 5E6D - F-CAN: Botschaft SYNC; ID 0x080) konnte nicht abgeschickt werden; von DSC-SG gesendet --- (DSC: unbedeutender CAN-Fehler: Fehlerspeicher loeschen)

kein passendes Fehlersymptom
Testbedingungen erfüllt
Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden, aber bereits gespeichert
Fehler würde das Aufleuchten einer Warnlampe verursachen

Error code: 5E 6D A0

D359 D359 - F-CAN: Botschaft LENKRADWINKEL_OBEN (ID 0x0C9) nicht empfangen (von DSC-SG empfangen). [Sender: SZL] --- (DSC: F-CAN Botschaft (SZL 0C8) fehlt)

kein Signal oder Wert
Testbedingungen erfüllt
Fehler momentan vorhanden und bereits gespeichert

Error code: D3 59 E4

D36D D36D - CAN: Botschaft BEDIENUNG_TEMPOMAT (ID 0x194) nicht empfangen oder falsche Botschaftslaenge (DLC). [Sender:SZL] --- (DSC: F-CAN Botschaft (SZL, 194) fehlt)

kein Signal oder Wert
Testbedingungen erfüllt

Error code: D3 6D E4

D36E D36E - CAN: Botschaft BEDIENUNG_WISCHER (ID 0x2A6) nicht empfangen oder falsche Botschaftslaenge (DLC). [Sender:SZL] --- (DSC: F-CAN Botschaft (SZL, 2A6) fehlt)

kein Signal oder Wert
Testbedingungen erfüllt

Error code: D3 6E E4

6EC8 6EC8 - Codierung Fahreranwesenheit fehlgeschlagen --- (DSC: Codierung wiederholen)

kein passendes Fehlersymptom
Testbedingungen erfüllt

Error code: 6E C8 E0

D36C D36C - CAN: Timeout der Botschaft BEDIENUNG_AUDIO_TEL (ID ox1D) --- (DSC: F-CAN Botschaft (SZL, 1D6) fehlt)

kein Signal oder Wert
Testbedingungen erfüllt

Error code: D3 6C E4
================================================== ===========

Summarized in English:

Four failures are about the SZL (cluster steering angle, cruise control, wipers, buttons on steering wheel). This is normal because the SZL will be initialized and set up after coding of the DSC.

One error means that the coding of the SZL is not functioning well.

The last error is an 'unimportant can error: erase error memory' as google translates from German.

Best regards Hendrik

Last edited by heze; 01-23-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #19
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Ok, the few times I've seen that error (ecu conditions not correct) has been to do with supply voltage to the ECU.

Confirm you are coding with ignition on engine off?

Also, can you check the fuses? For e70 I think it's 12 and 51????
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #20
heze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok, the few times I've seen that error (ecu conditions not correct) has been to do with supply voltage to the ECU.

Hello,

Ignition = on and engine = off
Checking the fuses was a good idea: The DSC gets power from 3 locations F40, F46, F19. Unfortunanetely these are all good (measured on connector of DSC while in circuit, so also no resistance in the wires). Also both ground wires seems ok.

Very strange that I'm the only one with this problem. Ideas are still welcome!

Thanks all for trying helping me out!
Best regards Hendrik
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #21
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hello,

Ignition = on and engine = off
Checking the fuses was a good idea: The DSC gets power from 3 locations F40, F46, F19. Unfortunanetely these are all good (measured on connector of DSC while in circuit, so also no resistance in the wires). Also both ground wires seems ok.

Very strange that I'm the only one with this problem. Ideas are still welcome!

Thanks all for trying helping me out!
Best regards Hendrik
Ok, and your coding setup works perfectly on other modules? Can you test another module?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #22
heze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok, and your coding setup works perfectly on other modules? Can you test another module?
A few minutes ago I tried to change the coding of the FKA (rear climate control), which went without problems. It seems to work on every module, exept for the DSC.

Best regards Hendrik.
Appreciate 0