E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d throwing "engine malfunction" making nasty flapping noise on acceleration

06-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
theGiantMidget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d e90 M57

335d throwing "engine malfunction" making nasty flapping noise on acceleration

So I recently bought a single owner 2011 335d with 108k mi on it. Full maintenance records, no accidents, etc. Everything was perfect as far as I could tell.

2 weeks later the egr cooler spring broke and I had to get that replaced in order to e-check. $310 easy enough except it didnt fit well against the egr valve and sounded terrible and leaked exhaust all over the place. figured it wouldn't be a bit deal to wait a couple weeks until I could get it tuned and deleted. Went to the tuning place and got a quote... well thats going to have to wait about 3 months. I was quoted $2,800 for a stage 2.5 tune from Dinan and a full abc delete.

In the meantime I upgraded the IC and did me best to clean out the CBU using seafoam and some manual cleaning of the IM.

All in all not a big deal until my drive to work this morning when I get the dreaded yellow "engine malfunction - power limited" light, and it starts making a nasty, flapping, blowing, exausty sound when accelerating
I limped into work and popped the hood expecting to find a blown boost hose but it seems to be fine (I have yet to look at it from underneath the car). The engine sounds normal (AFAIK) when idling and revving and a standstill. It also sounds normal when cruising at speed. But it sounds horrible when accelerating, especially from low speeds (like from a stoplight). It's exaggerated on a hill.

I wasn't too terribly concerned that I would cause further damage driving home, so I did. 15 mins highway going 65mph and 10 mins of city, and it progressively got worse.

I am now at a loss as to what to do: I don't know whether to try to figure it out myself as I have time (I work on my car at work after I clock out. I work at a machine shop) or take it to the nearest BMW place and blow and my carefully saved tuning money, or even worse should I not be driving it at all and arrange for a tow to a shop. To make this even more complicated, this is my daily driver so downtime is a pain in the A$$

Any knowledge will be greatly appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out

Update 1: So I just ran the codes an I have a pending P0299 turbo underboost does that make sense for a blown/leaking boost hose?

Last edited by theGiantMidget; 06-25-2019 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:08 AM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Great. A P0299 or to translate to a BMW equivalent it is a 4530. A broad code that could mean either a boost leak or a severe exhaust leak or blockage. I would start at recent repairs. You did EGR cooler, intercooler upgrade and your manifold. Check sealing of EGR cooler inlet against the exhaust manifold. Make sure EGR cooler not cracked. Check all your manifold connections. And your intercooler connections. I bet your boost hose has blown off. Your sounds you describe is a good indicator your have a boost leak or an exhaust leak. Also, please note, this code will prevent DPF regeneration. So you don’t want to drive too much until you fix it properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #3
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

what about the rubber hose on the exhaust pressure sensor?
      06-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Soonerbilly
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I actually just had the upper turbo inlet pipe blow out an Oring....made the same type noise.....but was "sealed" enough to almost act normal and no oil anywhere....point being it could take some really good looking to find the leak. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

I think Yozh is probably right - make sure everything is connected and buttoned up tight. Bet you find something that isn't. I test the boost side pretty quickly by using a w/m port to pressurize the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
theGiantMidget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d e90 M57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Great. A P0299 or to translate to a BMW equivalent it is a 4530. A broad code that could mean either a boost leak or a severe exhaust leak or blockage. I would start at recent repairs. You did EGR cooler, intercooler upgrade and your manifold. Check sealing of EGR cooler inlet against the exhaust manifold. Make sure EGR cooler not cracked. Check all your manifold connections. And your intercooler connections. I bet your boost hose has blown off. Your sounds you describe is a good indicator your have a boost leak or an exhaust leak. Also, please note, this code will prevent DPF regeneration. So you don’t want to drive too much until you fix it properly.

Ok super late update: y'all were right, I must have missed the vaccum hose on the bottom of the egr. Turns out that super hard to see once it's installed. I ended up driving it for a few days with an inactive turbo til I got the alphabet soup and a stage 2.5 tune done. All golden now!

Last edited by theGiantMidget; 12-04-2019 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0