E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Darth Niloc's E90 330d Project Build Thread

09-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #45
dave330
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D

it is true they are not allowed to remove and covers to look but the dpf casing can still be seen especially if you know what you are looking for, i know for sure the two garages i use don't really car either way.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #46
Darth Niloc
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d SE Auto

I spent most of the day on Saturday at the tuners. To be honest I was still undecided when I arrived. I spoke to the tuner and brought up the DPF again. Probably sick of me mentioning it in every single conversation we have ever had, he said that he couldn't guarantee that the car would pass the MOT with no DPF as it depends on the tester, the test centre, the condition of the motor itself, etc but said that his own personal 535d has passed several MOT's without issue with no DPF. He also added that he very rarely has a customer come back to him with a failed MOT because of the DPF being removed. It has happened but not very often.

We then discussed tuning with the DPF in place which he said was possible but the results are far better with it removed. Whilst we were chatting, there was a very loud 530d just finishing a dyno run. The tuner excused himself for a moment and I got chatting to the owner of said 530d.

He was running a hybrid turbo, 535d injectors, intercooler, meth injection, a dozen other things I can't remember now and the biggest and loudest exhaust I have ever seen or heard on a diesel. The thing looked and sounded like a weapon! I asked him about his DPF and he said he has never had one. In his opinion as long as the car isn't chucking out loads of smoke, it will be fine for MOT

I spoke to the tuner again and he said if I had doubts about or problems with the MOT, to take the DPF with me and they would reinstall it again before the next test and remove it again afterwards. He said it would only take a few hours labour all in. I decided at this point to just go for it. It took around 5 hours to get everything done including dyno testing and setup. The car was dyno'd before any work took place at my request and it was at 266bhp (a long way off the 287bhp the other tuner claimed).

Once the work had been completed, the car was dyno'd at 290bhp and 770nm torque. The difference is honestly night and day, it has gone from a quick motor to a very quick motor. I know you are all thinking it's only 30 extra horsepower you mad man but it's the way the power is delivered now. It is instant, like those 290 horses are always there just waiting to go charging. I don't know how else to describe it, the torque is unreal, every gear now pulls like it's 2nd gear through the entire rev range. And there is a noticeable induction sound from the intercooler as well which sounds class IMO. Overall I couldn't be happier with the result

I also managed to get the swirl flap delete done last week. Can't say I have noticed any difference to be honest and I understand the engine eating the swirl flaps wasn't as big an issue with the E90's but better safe than sorry. So the mod list so far in order reads as follows;

M-Sport Suspension (factory fitted)
GPS Tracker
Custom OBD Port Relocation and Alarm
De-Badged
xHP FlashTool Stage 3
15mm Spacers All Round
F30 Style Gear Knob
Swirl Flap Delete
DPF Delete
EGR Delete
Front Mounted Intercooler Upgrade
Custom Remap (290bhp - 770nm)

Next up on the list is the exhaust. I am tempted to go straight pipe the whole way but I'm starting to wonder if it would sound better with a backbox? I will give the exhaust guy a call at some point and see what he thinks. Other than that I have ordered a set of the Performance Air Scoops. From everything I have read they are excellent at directing the airflow and add an extra dose of induction noise.

I have also been looking into induction kits and air filter upgrades. I know the general consensus is that these add very little to performance but to be honest I am only after the induction noise. I love the whoosh and the pshhh sounds they make and the overall deeper burble and growl but I know it isn't to everyone's taste.

There seems to only be two options for CAI kits for the E90 330d, the K&N Apollo kit at £350 or Darkside Developments who do a kit including a new rocker cover for around £500. I asked the question if the new rocker cover was essential as the kit is only £120 without it but they confirmed it was. The only other option is the BMC Air filter which is a high flow direct replacement at £110 but I don't think I'd get the desired induction noise from it.

I'm tempted to buy the Darkside kit and see if I can make it fit somehow without the rocker cover add-on. There is plenty of room once you get the airbox out but I will need to look into this more. Once that and the exhaust are done, that will be it for the engine performance upgrades as she will both sound the part and have the performance to match

Thanks for dropping in!

Darth Niloc
Appreciate 0