E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Convertible top broke! Help please

10-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
MaconPaul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Convertible 6M

My sons e93 he was worried the top wasn't behaving properly. I pulled codes and no error.
So I proceeded to open it and I hear a loud pop. My first thought was he seldom opens this thing so it probably needs some lubrication.
I close it and it works mostly perfect but the drivers side window goes up at the end of the cycle then rolls back down. I use the window switch and it closes properly. I attempt another cycle.
This time the top does not line up upon closing. The front latches catch but no windows go up and a red error message pops on the dash.
I exit the vehicle to find the "pop" I had heard. Pictures attached of the top not properly aligned and the cracked trim piece I found on the ground.
Anyone know how to fix this?
Or to get it temporarily fixed so it is drivable including getting the windows to close.
Pictures attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
Dx11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Ouch that's painful, I've heard those plastics and the clamps inside, are really, really expensive to replace.

Anyway, there's a way to manually close your roof, be prepared though, it's a big task:

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 02:35 AM   #3
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Best advice I can give is to throw the car in the trash.

Mine has been at two shops in the last two months for top repairs. One charged $1400 for a computer/module and a hall sensor. The other is replacing the trunk latch which is a $800+ part plus labor.

The Cadillac XLR has a far simpler emergency top closure procedure, one that can be done on the side of the road as a storm approaches. E93s and Mercedes SLs take forever and require panel removal and special tools.

Keep a tarp in the trunk or park this turd in the bottom of a lake.
      10-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
MaconPaul
Private
Rep

Thanks Dx11
I'd looked at that video months ago.
A re-look inspired me do all the steps in the long version of his video.
By manually putting the top in the trunk then re-closing the top manually I got that front metal top to line up and close tight.
I was running out of daylight when I discovered a 6 inch piece of interior trim perhaps I accidentally dislodged.
In full daylight I'll re-connect the lock motor, clear a code, close the hydraulic relief screw and see if it works.
My suspicion is when the top trim piece that cracked and fell off the car, the clips that broke off were in the bottom of the channel and prevented the hinge to lay flat in the groove.
I'll know tomorrow when I hook it back up.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
MaconPaul
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Best advice I can give is to throw the car in the trash.

Mine has been at two shops in the last two months for top repairs. One charged $1400 for a computer/module and a hall sensor. The other is replacing the trunk latch which is a $800+ part plus labor.

The Cadillac XLR has a far simpler emergency top closure procedure, one that can be done on the side of the road as a storm approaches. E93s and Mercedes SLs take forever and require panel removal and special tools.

Keep a tarp in the trunk or park this turd in the bottom of a lake.
Well Jesda I didn't follow your always charming input.
I'm not sure owning a 10-15 year old Euro car is for you. These older Euro cars can require expensive repairs if you aren't willing to research repairs you can do yourself. They are more enjoyable to drive for many. I own Porsche, Volvo, BMW and an old boat and they all require money or time.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
MaconPaul
Private
Rep

Ugh
I have it put back together (minus trim)
I'm getting a new code that won't clear
A693. CTM: Microswitch, Coupling fastener, right, closed
It won't allow undoes to move and top won't either.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
MarkTNe93
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 328i

Similar issue here. Nothing broken than I can identify on my wifes e93. No codes, green light when i actuate the roof down button, but there is no action from the roof. The trunk divider is down and I have nothing on the shelves on either side of the trunk. Windows work fine and our temperatures are moderate. The roof previously was stuck in the open position and we closed it manually. At that time there was a code for a fogging sensor error. I have replaced the condensation sensor and that code is now gone. Any ideas on how to reset this roof?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #8
MaconPaul
Private
Rep

I found a wire and clip I broke
Those dang pistons you close w the 90 degree pliers slipped at one point and I must have snatched a 2 wire clip. It's the passenger side wire. I got to figure this wire out now.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #9
MaconPaul
Private
Rep

I got the top all back aligned!
I will deal with the broken trim piece later.
To summarize.
The trim piece in the mid section that covers the hinges above the drivers head got loose. Upon opening the top the trim piece cracked in multiple places and fell off the car. The clips that slide through the hinges and hold the trim piece on fell into the groove where they hide the hinges when the top is up. These tiny broken clips caused the front section of the convertible to not seat properly. This caused an error message that shut off power window and convertible top operation.
I had to follow the 37 minute video of how to get the top to open manually (long version because I needed to remote battery operate the lock latches at the front cowl). Great video by the way.
That should have been the end of the story and should have fixed the top because it all lined up correctly when I opened and closed the top manually.
However, there is a step where you use 90 degree pliers to open and close 2 piston locks toward the back of the car. The video describes the amount of force required to close those locks. They are not kidding. One time, while attempting re-lock the pliers slipped and I damaged a sensor that tells the system everything is locked properly.
Fortunately the new sensor was only $50+ dollars. I replaced that sensor. Plugged everything back in and the top is now again functional (but minus a cosmetic trim piece)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 06:37 PM   #10
Daman1702
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaconPaul View Post
I got the top all back aligned!
I will deal with the broken trim piece later.
To summarize.
The trim piece in the mid section that covers the hinges above the drivers head got loose. Upon opening the top the trim piece cracked in multiple places and fell off the car. The clips that slide through the hinges and hold the trim piece on fell into the groove where they hide the hinges when the top is up. These tiny broken clips caused the front section of the convertible to not seat properly. This caused an error message that shut off power window and convertible top operation.
I had to follow the 37 minute video of how to get the top to open manually (long version because I needed to remote battery operate the lock latches at the front cowl). Great video by the way.
That should have been the end of the story and should have fixed the top because it all lined up correctly when I opened and closed the top manually.
However, there is a step where you use 90 degree pliers to open and close 2 piston locks toward the back of the car. The video describes the amount of force required to close those locks. They are not kidding. One time, while attempting re-lock the pliers slipped and I damaged a sensor that tells the system everything is locked properly.
Fortunately the new sensor was only $50+ dollars. I replaced that sensor. Plugged everything back in and the top is now again functional (but minus a cosmetic trim piece)
I'm in the same boat as you right now, glad to hear you were able to get it fixed. if you could would you be able to send me the model number for the sensor you replaced as I damaged the same on I belive and wanna see if that would fix my issue aswell.

Thank You
Appreciate 0