E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > new 335d owner questions

09-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #23
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
The 2nd-3rd shift is now barely noticeable - nothing like the jolt before the oil change.
This is a software thing which BMW should have done better. I also had the seals and fluid changed at 100K miles. It improved but did not eliminate the 2-3 bad shift. It does it once about 50% of the time in the first minute or 2 of driving and the trans is cold. I'm guessing it has to do with the software changing shifting points based on temperature.
Appreciate 1
POBEP361.00
      09-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #24
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
This is a software thing which BMW should have done better. I also had the seals and fluid changed at 100K miles. It improved but did not eliminate the 2-3 bad shift. It does it once about 50% of the time in the first minute or 2 of driving and the trans is cold. I'm guessing it has to do with the software changing shifting points based on temperature.
kbsilver - thanks for follow up!

I (now) lean towards the software issue as well.
One day I'll do the xHP tune (for now the investment focus is on getting deferred maintenance items sorted out)

On E70 (bought it new), I've done fluid change (no seals), adaptations reset and then insane 2-hour re-learn drive. It made shift points silk smooth, with exception of initial first 2-3rd shift when cold (only)

On E90 (got it recently), the 2-3rd shift was really bad, both cold and warm.
The fluid helped a lot, but still less that ideal (both cold and warm).

It also seems that E90's lighter weight (when compared to E70) amplifies the experience as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #25
austinth0rnt0n
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Good to know the fluid change should make a big difference, hoping to do that along with glow plugs before winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #26
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Stop resetting adaptations
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:36 AM   #27
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinth0rnt0n View Post
Good to know the fluid change should make a big difference, hoping to do that along with glow plugs before winter.
Glow Plugs? They are close to bullet proof, and rarely need to be changed. More often an issue with the glow plug system is the glow plug controller mounted on the side of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #28
RED-d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Sport, Tuned

While resetting adaptations are not recommended or required after fluid/sleeves change, it shouldn't hurt anything if the proper relearn procedure is performed.

Also, the 2-3 shifting issues are two different things. There is the late shifting while warming (normal and temporary) and the late shifting that results in a slamming into 3rd any other time. This may or may not improve with fluid/sleeves. Some need solenoids/vb replaced.
A trans tune probably won't help and may exacerbate any shifting issues.

Regarding the glow plug controller, if you change that you should also change the "y" coolant pipe just above it. It is a known failure point as well.
Appreciate 1
POBEP361.00
      10-02-2021, 12:56 AM   #29
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-d View Post
Also, the 2-3 shifting issues are two different things. There is the late shifting while warming (normal and temporary) and the late shifting that results in a slamming into 3rd any other time. This may or may not improve with fluid/sleeves. Some need solenoids/vb replaced.
A trans tune probably won't help and may exacerbate any shifting issues.
Good note, thanks. My initial 5K mi 335d experience with 2-3rd (warm) shift suggests that it is related to downhill coasting only. The transmission (ECU?) software tends to apply higher rpm shift points downhill (perhaps engine braking).

The mystery (to me) is that same 2-3rd shift on the flat, uphill or under any form of load (driven by the engine, not wheels) is smooth and fast. My uneducated guess that failing/sticky solenoid should also surface issue under other load conditions as well.

For now, I am holding off to further time and $ investments into this issue.
Temporary solution is E90 for weekly 400mi highway commute and E91 for all other (city) trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-d View Post
Regarding the glow plug controller, if you change that you should also change the "y" coolant pipe just above it. It is a known failure point as well.
Can I remove the "y" coolant pipe without taking off intake manifold?

I already replaced glow plug controller (had to do it to pass smog to register in CA), without removing intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #30
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

No
Appreciate 1
POBEP361.00
      10-15-2022, 11:10 PM   #31
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
18mo / 14K mile 335d ownership update

I love this toy - the E91 now feels "too slow", especially when going uphill through sierras.
I have spent way more time under the car/hood than anticipated.
It end up my most expensive BMW (I have 4) in terms of raw cash spent per mile so far ($0.63)
I DIY-ed most of it except transmission service, windshield & (upcoming) rear wheel bearing .
SCR delivery module has been most involved.

The 14K/18mo list is as follows:
- R: Rear Window Seal
- R: Washer Pump & Strainer
- I: CIC SSD
- R: Glow Plug Controller
- M: Wiper Blades
- M: Air Filter
- M: fuel filter
- R: Trunk struts
- R: Trunk boot
- M: PS reservoir & fluid
- M: Diff Fluid
- I: Euro Outer Tail Lights
- M: Transmission Fluid, Filter and seals
- I: 313 18" rims
- M: new tires & TPMS sensors
- R: windshield
- I: FLA mirror
- M: alignment
- I: floor mats
- M: front breaks & rotors
- M: rear brakes
- R: headlight covers
- I: Key Fob
- I: Spare Tire Kit
- R: SCR Delivery Module

- R: Rear Wheel Bearing & Hub (upcoming)
- I: Aluminum Belly Pan (upcoming)
- M: Battery (maybe next year)

* R- Repair, M - Maintenance, I - Improvements