E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steering wheel lock error *solved*

10-01-2021, 06:37 AM   #1
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Steering wheel lock error *solved*

E90 330D auto, steering wheel lock error.

I have read a lot of threads about this. Basically one night the error randomly came up, the next day it was back to normal and worked fine. Then a few weeks later (about 3/4 days ago), the error came back and hasn’t gone since. My symptoms are no start, no crank and steering wheel is locked completely. Trying to wiggle it to get it to work doesn’t help either. When you put the key in the ignition all the way, that is the only power you get, if you press start to turn the ignition/power on but to not start the car, it just shuts itself off. I’ve included a pic of my error.

So far I have tried to reset on Tool32 running the elv commands and also reset in ISTA (elv/steering lock and CAS), still no luck. I then bought an ELV emulator which was meant to be “plug and play and works straight away”. But once I received it and read instructions it says the steering wheel lock must be unlocked before it is plugged in. But that’s the whole reason why I bought it, because it’s locked and the emulator is meant to unlock it 🙃

Anyway, I’m trying to figure out my options now. Is it tear down the steering column, remove/replace and or disengage the steering lock?

Any advice is appreciated.

Update: *solved*
Attached Images

Last edited by Processing61; 10-02-2021 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
Ryahnna07328xi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Exclamation How?!?!?!

How did you solve it?!? Im on the verge of selling my dream car because the damn light came on after replacing the coils. I drove fine for two days with he light on and the finally locked up and wont start at all. Same issue when I put the fob in itll turn on the lights and radio and everything but wont turn over. What did you do to fix it? I saw a post a while ago with instructions to reset the ELV but i cant find it now
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryahnna07328xi View Post
How did you solve it?!? Im on the verge of selling my dream car because the damn light came on after replacing the coils. I drove fine for two days with he light on and the finally locked up and wont start at all. Same issue when I put the fob in itll turn on the lights and radio and everything but wont turn over. What did you do to fix it? I saw a post a while ago with instructions to reset the ELV but i cant find it now
So I ended up fitting this emulator https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124756396649 and once fitted, reset the ELV counter. I used ISTA D but you don't need that, it can be done with Tool32 and possibly INPA too. When I first did this I wasn't doing it in the correct order as the instructions stated. I thought I needed to unplug the original emulator and then get the wheel lock to unlock before inserting the emulator. But of course, if you unplug the steering lock, it isn't going to work and will stay locked. So I just needed to unplug the original steering wheel lock, plug emulator into the plug, reset elv and that seemed to do it for me
Appreciate 0