E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Failure to maintain radio volume setting when car turned off

10-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Bby335
Rep
Drives: 335is

Failure to maintain radio volume setting when car turned off

I have a 335is.

Whenever I start the car, the radio volume is so quiet it is barely discernable. So I turn it up to a comfortable level. Every other car I've ever had (including a BMW Z4) will maintain the previous volume setting when the car is re-started by the same person with his own key.

I am getting sick and tired of re-setting the volume every time I get into the car. The dealer is no help. The SA said it shouldn't do that, went and talked to a tech and came back and said the tech told him "they all do that for safety reasons". Sounds like BS.

Do all the new radios with i-drive automatically re-set the volume level to minimum whenever you turn the car off? Does anyone have a 2011 335is where the radio volume returns to previous settings when you start the car?

Nice car, but this is frustrating me to no end.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Steve28
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

You know - my '99 Jetta radio had an "on volume" setting - very hidden, but if you set it, then the radio volume would revert to this setting when the car was turned off. Maybe there's a similar "hidden" setting here?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
jjmanda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bby335 View Post
I have a 335is.

Whenever I start the car, the radio volume is so quiet it is barely discernable. So I turn it up to a comfortable level. Every other car I've ever had (including a BMW Z4) will maintain the previous volume setting when the car is re-started by the same person with his own key.

I am getting sick and tired of re-setting the volume every time I get into the car. The dealer is no help. The SA said it shouldn't do that, went and talked to a tech and came back and said the tech told him "they all do that for safety reasons". Sounds like BS.

Do all the new radios with i-drive automatically re-set the volume level to minimum whenever you turn the car off? Does anyone have a 2011 335is where the radio volume returns to previous settings when you start the car?

Nice car, but this is frustrating me to no end.
This what I've observed about the radio volume. Mine is non-Idrive, but I don't see that making any difference. It has a volume level range from 0 -55. The default level setting is 29. When I turn the car off with the volume above 29, it defaults back to 29. I have seen at times when I turn off the car with the volume below 29, that it stayed at that lower volume. I've concluded that this is normal operation and found no hidden menu option to change it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

What's your speed volume set at?
      10-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Bby335
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
What's your speed volume set at?
My speed volume also doesn't work. I've posted about this on another thread. With apologies to Dr. Seuss, with regard to the speed volume:

I tried it at minimum
I tried it at maximum
I tried it with the car off
And I tried it with the car on
I tried it with the car running
I tried it with the car stopped
On, off, driving, standing
Service call is now pending

Between the speed volume not working and the volume always reverting to a default volume barely above a whisper, I am somewhat disappointed in the quality control as these problems existed from the outset. I'd be better off if the volume control was a simple rotary dial completely divorced from the I-drive system.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
mrmojorisin
Rep
Drives: 335i Cab

Failure to maintain radio volume

I just picked up my 2011 335ic and am very upset at having the same problem.
My 2008 version of the same car did not do this.
It is annoying and frustrating.
So, did you ever get a satisfactory answer/fix to this?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

The starting volume is a feature. In non-iDrive units it is adjustable. I have not seen an adjustment available in iDrive for it though. I actually like the feature since it will bring the volume down if I was bumpin it the last time I drove and forgot to turn it down before I turned the car off. I don't use the speed sensitive volume feature so I can't help you there.
      10-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
rogzballz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328is  [0.00]
Experiencing this too in 2015 X5 ... ugh!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

On my car the volume setting is kept in the key fob.

Switching fobs reverts the setting to what it was last set when that fob was inserted.
Appreciate 0