E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF N54 Aluminum Turbo Outlet Charge Pipe Now Available!

11-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #67
jacobniell
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Measure the ID of the OEM outlet adapter which when installed is inserted INTO the OEM interooler's inlet and outlet Rob. That's where the restriction lies. When utilizing OEM connectors, you're limited to the ID of the OEM inlet/outlet adapter which are certainly not 2.4", but less than 2" ID.
If one were to try to re-use the accordion style OE coupler with any new high flow outlet, for reasons unknown, then agree it would be less ID at around 2.1". A standard straight 2.5" ID coupler will correct this condition.

The point was that the use of the OE style circlip connections on an IC itself, is of no restriction. Here is an adapter that shows as such.

Rob
Would it be possible to get the kit with some kind of adapter that would support the VRSF hot side and connect to the IC. I preferred to keep my HPF IC as this is quite effective even with the original couplers.
If the kit does not support the IC coupler, do you Rob have a coupler that would make it all work well? I think that my RB turbos would like the more free flowing hotside ;0)
      11-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #68
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobniell View Post
Would it be possible to get the kit with some kind of adapter that would support the VRSF hot side and connect to the IC. I preferred to keep my HPF IC as this is quite effective even with the original couplers.
If the kit does not support the IC coupler, do you Rob have a coupler that would make it all work well? I think that my RB turbos would like the more free flowing hotside ;0)
You can use your OEM accordion adapter.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #69
jacobniell
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You can use your OEM accordion adapter.
Okay and it would not be damaged in any way? I would still be able to go back to Original setup?

Can you please provide the link for ordering the high flow outlet?
      11-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #70
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
That specific adapter you linked is an aftermarket solution and if you were to use that adapter you're still restricting the intake tract going from 2.5" to 2.3". The OEM connector which 99% of customers are limited to using neck down to around 2".

Every upgraded outlet option available goes ranges from 1.75" to 2" at the turbo outlet and merges into a 2.5" collector at the intercooler. With the OEM connection, you'd then neck down to 2".

That's a bottle neck. Word it however you'd like but it's a restriction in the intake tract.
Your aluminum outlet here is a 2.5" OD (Outer Diameter) pipe with about a 0.060" wall thickness, no? So when you consider both walls (on the diameter) your part has an ID (Inner Diameter) of about 2.38", which is right inline with the adapter shown in the attached picture.

This is unlike the silicone options (vs. aluminum options) as they are measured in ID. So a 2.5" silicone size is TRULY a 2.5" ID, whereas a 2.5" aluminum size is TRULY a 2.38" ID. Unless you've sourced some special 2.5" ID aluminum tubing, then my apologies as this would not be the norm and probably is really in a Metric standard (if the case).

So as for the guys running these aluminum high flow outlets looking for max flow with IC's with OE connections, they are still good to go with an adapter as I've pictured. All they need is a 2.5" straight silicone coupler, and voila beautiful solution without having to condemn the otherwise high quality IC.

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #71
jacobniell
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That specific adapter you linked is an aftermarket solution and if you were to use that adapter you're still restricting the intake tract going from 2.5" to 2.3". The OEM connector which 99% of customers are limited to using neck down to around 2".

Every upgraded outlet option available goes ranges from 1.75" to 2" at the turbo outlet and merges into a 2.5" collector at the intercooler. With the OEM connection, you'd then neck down to 2".

That's a bottle neck. Word it however you'd like but it's a restriction in the intake tract.
Your aluminum outlet here is a 2.5" OD (Outer Diameter) pipe with about a 0.060" wall thickness, no? So when you consider both walls (on the diameter) your part has an ID (Inner Diameter) of about 2.38", which is right inline with the adapter shown in the attached picture.

This is unlike the silicone options (vs. aluminum options) as they are measured in ID. So a 2.5" silicone size is TRULY a 2.5" ID, whereas a 2.5" aluminum size is TRULY a 2.38" ID. Unless you've sourced some special 2.5" ID aluminum tubing, then my apologies as this would not be the norm and probably is really in a Metric standard (if the case).

So as for the guys running these aluminum high flow outlets looking for max flow with IC's with OE connections, they are still good to go with an adapter as I've pictured. All they need is a 2.5" straight silicone coupler, and voila beautiful solution without having to condemn the otherwise high quality IC.

Thanks,
Rob
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,
Rob
Thanks Rob
Can you advice where the 2,5" straight silicone coupler can be bought? And will it work/ fit the N54?
      11-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #72
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Rob
Can you advice where the 2,5" straight silicone coupler can be bought? And will it work/ fit the N54?
A 2.5" silicone coupler will not work without the adapter Rob mentioned. You'd have to buy that adapter along with the coupler.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 04:47 AM   #73
jacobniell
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Rob
A 2.5" silicone coupler will not work without the adapter Rob mentioned. You'd have to buy that adapter along with the coupler.
Yes but where can I find the parts needed?
      08-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #74
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Reviving an old thread.

I'm getting some stage 2 turbos like pure soon with inlets. I don't plan on running more than 500-550hp. I'm torn on buying outlets. What you guys think? Is it really worth it? Very limited space to install and more heat too. I've done plenty of reading and see different opinions.

For the guys with a similar setup, what did you get out of having the outlets? Hp and tq all rpms or certain places?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #75
hidavi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I had a bunch of other work to do down there anyway, so I took advantage that my subframe was down to do this install. Its mostly easy with the subframe already down, but I had a hard time securing the v-band clamp by myself for the front turbo. It would have been easier if I had someone to hold the front outlet y-pipe at at the right angle to so that I could work on securing the clamp. I got it using one hand to angle the y-pipe and a quick single-hand zip-tie action to get the v-band closed enough to actually put the screw through it. It took a lot of tries though by myself...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #76
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #77
Rule1977
First Lieutenant