E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B12 Pro kit or Bilstein B14 PSS coilover

12-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #45
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Just installed b14 with the rear almost maxed on on height and it's still too low for my liking
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #46
Spooly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Just installed b14 with the rear almost maxed on on height and it's still too low for my liking
Sorry to hear that, my front is pretty low maxed out, but I didn't have that problem with the rear. It's sitting roughly the same in the rear as my old worn M-Sport suspension. But I also don't have to really deal with winter where I am so ride height is less of a problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #47
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsToBuyA335 View Post
Quote:
Sorry to hear that, my front is pretty low maxed out, but I didn't have that problem with the rear. It's sitting roughly the same in the rear as my old worn M-Sport suspension. But I also don't have to really deal with winter where I am so ride height is less of a problem.
I gotta get it aligned
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #48
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I gotta get it aligned
Only thing I'd guess is that somehow you torqued the bushings higher than ride height.

Good luck. Never heard of it being too low unless you reused the stock perch (but doesn't looks that way from the pics).
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #49
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I gotta get it aligned
Only thing I'd guess is that somehow you torqued the bushings higher than ride height.

Good luck. Never heard of it being too low unless you reused the stock perch (but doesn't looks that way from the pics).
Nah there fairly new
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 12:31 AM   #50
jivenene
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post

hm.... my B14 rear seems to sit pretty low too. Interesting thought about the bushings. I just lifted the suspension with a jack and eye balled it, maybe I did put too much pressure on them when tightening them down. I have 36mm between the surfaces of spring perch and body mounting, but I measured inside length, not what Bilstein measures (opposite (outside) edges of those components). Boy that was confusing... Anyway I will re-torque and re-measure the rim to wheel arch distance to see if it made any difference. I suspect not.

ISTA lists 577mm for Sport suspension and 567mm for Performance suspension.

I just measured mine, I'm 558 on DS, 554 on PS. Also, looks like the coil springs are mostly compressed. Gotta be something wrong, why would they design it to be binding up like that, it's no longer a spring at that point. Pictures below.

Last edited by jivenene; 12-27-2020 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 02:25 AM   #51
jivenene
Enlisted Member
Rep

DS and PS springs, too compressed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #52
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivenene View Post
DS and PS springs, too compressed?
Mine look the same when compressed and non compressed u can see the difference. Not sure if that's normal or not
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #53
jivenene
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Mine look the same when compressed and non compressed u can see the difference. Not sure if that's normal or not
Thanks for confirming. I guess as long as the adjustment is within spec (40-60mm) then that's how it's supposed to be?

What do you measure from "bottom edge of spring plate up to top of original spring seat"? should be 40-60mm

Also, what do you measure from bottom of rim to wheel arch opening? Should be somewhere around 560-577mm?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #54
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for confirming. I guess as long as the adjustment is within spec (40-60mm) then that's how it's supposed to be?

What do you measure from "bottom edge of spring plate up to top of original spring seat"? should be 40-60mm

Also, what do you measure from bottom of rim to wheel arch opening? Should be somewhere around 560-577mm?
No sure about spring but from ground to middle of wheel Arc it's about 25 1/2 inches
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #55
jivenene
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No sure about spring but from ground to middle of wheel Arc it's about 25 1/2 inches
Sorry I forgot to mention there is a chart for normal ride height, and it depends on wheel size. I was giving measurements for the 18 inch wheel on 330i, 2006. It is not measured from the ground because the tire sidewall profile would effect that height. It is measured from bottom of rim lip.

I didn't get a chance to adjust the rears again yet, but I will probably end up maxing them out as per the Bilstein specs, which is 60mm (40-60mm spec), and then measure again to see if it ends up being close to where the sport or performance suspension sits stock.

Anyway, about the rear springs, I reviewed the pics from when they were uninstalled, and the spacing on those top 5 coils is extremely close, so it's no surprise that they are in contact when installed. My question is, from an engineering standpoint, why design a spring like that? Wouldn't it be better to increase coil spacing, and cut out half the coils and therefore decrease weight by 50%? Or is it that to achieve the spring rate they wanted, it had to be designed that way? I guess that would be more likely, as Bilstein does this shit for a living and probably knows their stuff. Anyway I'm looking forward to the day all my stuff is back together so I can finally drive it hard and test it out fully!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #56
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry I forgot to mention there is a chart for normal ride height, and it depends on wheel size. I was giving measurements for the 18 inch wheel on 330i, 2006. It is not measured from the ground because the tire sidewall profile would effect that height. It is measured from bottom of rim lip.

I didn't get a chance to adjust the rears again yet, but I will probably end up maxing them out as per the Bilstein specs, which is 60mm (40-60mm spec), and then measure again to see if it ends up being close to where the sport or performance suspension sits stock.

Anyway, about the rear springs, I reviewed the pics from when they were uninstalled, and the spacing on those top 5 coils is extremely close, so it's no surprise that they are in contact when installed. My question is, from an engineering standpoint, why design a spring like that? Wouldn't it be better to increase coil spacing, and cut out half the coils and therefore decrease weight by 50%? Or is it that to achieve the spring rate they wanted, it had to be designed that way? I guess that would be more likely, as Bilstein does this shit for a living and probably knows their stuff. Anyway I'm looking forward to the day all my stuff is back together so I can finally drive it hard and test it out fully!
Same here, i need to get my alignment done as it still rubs with 19x10 in the rear i need to get lil bit of negative camber about -2 in the rear. I hav question for u tho, how much of a difference is the alignment specs of the 335i compared to the m3
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #57
jivenene
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Same here, i need to get my alignment done as it still rubs with 19x10 in the rear i need to get lil bit of negative camber about -2 in the rear. I hav question for u tho, how much of a difference is the alignment specs of the 335i compared to the m3
Good question! I don't have that info handy, but I'm sure it's somewhere on this site lol. I am curious though, but don't have time to look for it right now.

Remember though, the more aggressive you go, the worse your tire wear will be.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #58
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Good question! I don't have that info handy, but I'm sure it's somewhere on this site lol. I am curious though, but don't have time to look for it right now.

Remember though, the more aggressive you go, the worse your tire wear will be.
This haha I'll downsize soon, still hav factory msport wheels
Appreciate 0