E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > New tint screws up locking mechanism!

03-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

Exclamation New tint screws up locking mechanism!

Hey guys,

after a long time of waiting, I finally just went out and got tint. I figured since the temperatures were warming up here in Cali, I figured some tint would do my car some good.

I went on over to California Tint today and got some tint installed. The owner, Peter, was really kind and explained that one variety of tint would screw up the radio signal so he chose to go with some different type of tint.

It looked great on the way home and I well I found out a problem. I needed to go pick something up at the drug store and well, when I press the "Unlock" button on my keyfob, the doors won't open, when I press the BMW logo/roundel, the doors won't lock themselves or most of them but one will.

Then if I press the interior "Lock doors" button near the emergency blinker light, it seems unresponsive. This is absolutely freaking me out!

Has this happened to anyone before? Is it the tint screwing up the mechanism? What's going on?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
eazye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport

That sounds like a lock actuator fuse, not an issue with the tint. Mine acted the same way and it turned out the fuse kept blowing. Had to replace the 15amp fuse with a 20amp fuse.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
e90-ZeRo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post
That sounds like a lock actuator fuse, not an issue with the tint. Mine acted the same way and it turned out the fuse kept blowing. Had to replace the 15amp fuse with a 20amp fuse.
Why would this happen directly after tinting however? I'm scared out of my mind, as they said they had to correct something and I heard lots of water

I did come across that video, is that what you're saying I should do? I'll swing by the Autozone tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
eazye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It is a common issue, may just be a coincidence, but I had the same problem with my 330i about 8 months ago. I could get the doors to lock but not unlock, actually had to use the key to get in the car and then could not unlock the doors from the inside with the dash button. When I pushed the roundel (lock) button on the remote, it would lock the doors just fine. Unlocking was a whole different animal....

Generally it is an actuator in the door that is drawing slightly too much current and burning up the 15amp fuse. I am pretty sure that BMW put out a bulletin about it and their fix was to put in a 20amp fuse in.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

I would have to agree with the others and say its a coincidence. This happened with me a few months ago and I don't even have tinted windows. The symptons were exactly as you described, keyfob unresponsive, and the door unlock button on the center console would lock the doors, but would not bring them back up. Took it to the dealership and had everything fixed under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
eazye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, did you give it a try?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
e90-ZeRo
United_States
Rep

Yup!

I replaced fuse 57, pulled it out with some pliers that I borrowed from the local Autozone. Broken thingy in the middle and bought a small pack of various hi-amp fuses.

Replaced fuse 57 (15amp) with a 20amp because of some SIB/Service Bulletin but I don't know if its applicable to my car. Didn't work in the parking lot and drove home with an open box of fuses, miffed that I might have to disconnect one of the battery terminals but didn't have the tools there.

Drove home, parked. Turns out it worked I guess it just needed to circulate or something haha. Phew, a load is off my back.

Thanks easye!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
eazye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I completely forgot that I had to disconnect my battery for about 30-60 seconds but apparently it is not required if you just give it a little time. Glad it worked for you!
Appreciate 0