E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Brake Dust Shield

07-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Rear Brake Dust Shield

My rear brake dust shields keep rattling against the rotors at low speeds. Drives me nuts. I pry/push them away from the rotors, and they just curl back towards the rotors after about a week. I know it's not a good idea to just cut them off since the shield does keep the heat from the brakes away from the control arm bushings, and it keeps excess crap away from the rotors.

I "think" you have to be doing a rear wheel bearing DIY, in order to access the bolts that hold them on to the Hub. When I did my rear brakes in April I tried to take them off when the rotors were off. I took the drum emergency brakes off. There was 2-3 small bolts that seemingly held on the dust shield, but when I took them off, and tried to take the old dust shield off it wouldn't budge. So, I got the impression that there were bolts behind that the hub was covering up.

I have 2 new rear brake shields.

Am I correct ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
My rear brake dust shields keep rattling against the rotors at low speeds. Drives me nuts. I pry/push them away from the rotors, and they just curl back towards the rotors after about a week. I know it's not a good idea to just cut them off since the shield does keep the heat from the brakes away from the control arm bushings, and it keeps excess crap away from the rotors.

I "think" you have to be doing a rear wheel bearing DIY, in order to access the bolts that hold them on to the Hub. When I did my rear brakes in April I tried to take them off when the rotors were off. I took the drum emergency brakes off. There was 2-3 small bolts that seemingly held on the dust shield, but when I took them off, and tried to take the old dust shield off it wouldn't budge. So, I got the impression that there were bolts behind that the hub was covering up.

I have 2 new rear brake shields.

Am I correct ?
I did the F30 M Performance upgrade a little while back so the details are fuzzy but I just remember only needing to remove the parking brakes and their backing plates to access the bolts holding the shields on. They encircle the knuckle/axle completely if I remember correctly so to remove them you need tin snips to cut a section out to pull them out of there. I wanted to remove mine completely so it wasn't a issue, but if you plan on replacing them you're in for quite a bit more work.
      07-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Actually there will be less heat if you remove the shields. After a decade without them I can tell of any adverse effect.
Appreciate 2
drymite29.50
Mike K322.00
      07-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
You can see 4 holes where I think bolts must go through. The two smaller ones are where the two bolts exist from the emergency brake side, once you remove the shoes & what not. It looks like it is semi-pressed on due to the tabs in the middle. My guess is that you would have to take the hub off, in order to take the brake dusts shield off

My wheel bearings on all 4 wheels are original with 153,000 miles "knock on wood". Don't ask. I don't know how or why they they have lasted this long given crappy Michigan roads, salt used on them in the winter and Midwest weather. I seriously think we have more dirt roads, in this state, than anywhere in the country. I am not complaining or anything about how good or well my wheel bearings have held up. Trust me, I am not looking forward to the day I have to change the rear wheel bearings out.

So, I guess I either wait till a wheel bearing goes in the rear or just cut them off with tin snips or a dremmel maybe. :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Like I said, a LOT more work to replace them than remove them.
      04-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
monkeyboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328xi

One of my brake dust shields has also come loose and makes an irritating grinding sound as the car moves.

So just how big a deal is it to replace it? Something that Firestone can do with modest expense? Can be done without removing the bearings?

Or it is just better to tear it out without replacement?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
One of my brake dust shields has also come loose and makes an irritating grinding sound as the car moves.

So just how big a deal is it to replace it? Something that Firestone can do with modest expense? Can be done without removing the bearings?

Or it is just better to tear it out without replacement?
I have the same issue - loose rear shield.
This is the first car I encountered where they are bolted onto the hub carrier BEHIND the wheel bearing assembly. Totally stupid design.
So, yes, removing the wheel hub is the required official procedure. I want to keep mine, so this drives me nuts!
Working on the rear suspension refresh and finding all these little things that will nickle and dime me until I realize I should've just bought a used complete subframe dropout from a Southern car and swap it in a day and be done.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Put it this way, while I was doing the job I stuck it out for those 2 tiny pesky little rear brake lines for example. But said fuck no to the rear brake dust shield after looking at it for 5min, rare for me to do that. Just trim it off and call it a day
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 03:55 PM   #9
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

I’m in the same boat. replacing bearings and hubs. RH dust shield is solidly attached while Lh is loose and rattling.

In front of the dust shield is the parking brake backing plate, so I removed the parking brake shoes and Hardware, then 10mm bolts (x2) and larger 16mm (but super short) bolts (x2). But the dust shield and backing plate will not budge. Is it matter of force to get them off? In general the suspension and brakes are very rusty. I realize the hub has to come off to get them off but I can’t even get them to loosen from attached position.

Last edited by pbedrosi; 11-26-2022 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Bramer, spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 12:36 PM   #10
dingo816
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi '06 Sports Package

Did you ever figure this out? I’m in the same boat. Different reason though. One of the bolts that screws into control arm is stuck broken in the hub and won’t budge. I’m going to have to find a replacement hub on eBay but the ones I’ve seen come without a dust shield. I have the hub off the car but other than removing the 10mm and 15mm bolts I can’t figure out how to remove the whole shield for re-use.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 05:05 PM   #11
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

I did figure it out. It’s friction fit. I placed a screwdriver between the shield and hub from behind and gave it a tap with a hammer.

I’m just dealing with other bolts that are rusted to continue my brake/hub/bearing replacement I’m shocked at how rusty the subframe and suspension components are, looks like a 20 year old Chevy lumina underneath

Last edited by pbedrosi; 01-03-2023 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0