E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Advice - Replace Injector

02-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
Willygbr66
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Advice - Replace Injector

Having just had a walnut blast done on my N54 (which I have to say has totally transformed the car) I was advised that my injector in cylinder 1 is leaking and in all lightly hood needs replacing.
All six are index 9, which having read up on are not the best batch to have.
I am not in a financial position to get them all replaced particularly with index 12’s therefore if I source a secondhand one does anyone feel there would be an issue in just replacing the one that’s leaking?
Appreciate any help that anyone can give me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #2
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

Second hand or reconditioned injectors in my mind just means a stepping stone (and it’s additional cost) to a new one in the end. You can mix injectors but only as long as all on the bank are same index, so it might be worth looking at that rather than replacing all of them. Index 9 are old and chances of finding a brand new one will be fairly slim. By doing banks separate you would spread the cost a little over time. If one injectors is on its way out I wouldn’t be surprised for the others to follow suit in the shorter term.

What I can say is warranty replaced all of my index 9 for index 12 a year ago and it’s been a different car to drive since (granted both vanos hubs were renewed as well).
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
Willygbr66
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilalex View Post
Second hand or reconditioned injectors in my mind just means a stepping stone (and it’s additional cost) to a new one in the end. You can mix injectors but only as long as all on the bank are same index, so it might be worth looking at that rather than replacing all of them. Index 9 are old and chances of finding a brand new one will be fairly slim. By doing banks separate you would spread the cost a little over time. If one injectors is on its way out I wouldn’t be surprised for the others to follow suit in the shorter term.

What I can say is warranty replaced all of my index 9 for index 12 a year ago and it’s been a different car to drive since (granted both vanos hubs were renewed as well).
Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately no warranty and to be honest leaning towards a second hand index 9 and see how it goes for an interim period of time.

Funny thing is the car runs superb with no misfires. On MHD stage 1+. Other 5 spark plugs are spot on however cylinder 1 is black and smelling of petrol.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

Certainly worth the risk then but get from a reliable source..... not Bob from eBay who reconditioned his in the kettle etc
Appreciate 1