E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2A87 Vanos code only with A/C on and idle

02-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
welded
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320d auto 2008

2A87 Vanos code only with A/C on and idle

Hello, first post here.

I have a really strange issue with my N52.

2A87 Vanos code is stored in DME only when the A/C is on, the car is on idle and the oil temperature is around 100 deg Celsius / 210 Fahrenheit.

So far I have tried to swap solenoids, clean vanos filters, exchanged the sensors for the vanos wheels. Put brand new OEM oil filter cap. Timing is checked and good, Vanos wheels have are not blocked either. None of that affects the code.

I have read many threads around this forum but found no similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 11:37 PM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by welded View Post
Hello, first post here.

I have a really strange issue with my N52.

2A87 Vanos code is stored in DME only when the A/C is on, the car is on idle and the oil temperature is around 100 deg Celsius / 210 Fahrenheit.

So far I have tried to swap solenoids, clean vanos filters, exchanged the sensors for the vanos wheels. Put brand new OEM oil filter cap. Timing is checked and good, Vanos wheels have are not blocked either. None of that affects the code.

I have read many threads around this forum but found no similar issue.
It might the dreaded camshaft bearing ledge issue. You could possibly get around it by increasing the idle speed slightly with ISTA and see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
jopakr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Vanos

I am also having Vanos problems... I think. I keep getting a 2a9a code that doesnt follow the sensor or actuator when swapped. Im stumped!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
How far away are you from your next oil change? Would be interesting to switch to a 40 instead of 30 if that's what you're using. Although that's a weird issue, I personally think the problem would happen without the AC eventually aswell just would take longer. Have you reset vanos adaptations? I assume the filter basket is in place. Performing an engine flush is a good idea before changing the oil in this case.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
welded
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320d auto 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
How far away are you from your next oil change? Would be interesting to switch to a 40 instead of 30 if that's what you're using. Although that's a weird issue, I personally think the problem would happen without the AC eventually aswell just would take longer. Have you reset vanos adaptations? I assume the filter basket is in place. Performing an engine flush is a good idea before changing the oil in this case.
Oil was changed with 5w40 - the issue stays., filter basket is brand new OEM part.

The problem 100% does not happen without A/C. I drove around 200-300km with A/C off and issue does not appear. If i switch A/C on it takes 15min of driving max to get the error.

I thought it is from the oil temp and oil getting thinner with higher temps (thought of that because of additinal load of A/C oil might be getting hotter) - but this is wrong. I got oil temp without A/C up to 225deg. Code appears usually around 210deg.

Is it possible to be faulty A/C pulley ? or maybe faulty ECU.

I am thinking it cannot be bearing ledge issue, since the car is running fine without A/C.
Appreciate 0