E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this an AC issue?

07-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
xxclusive
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Exclamation Is this an AC issue?

So I've noticed on Monday morning when I went to go to work that my car smells horrible! It was fine on Sunday. Theres nothing in my car that would make it smell in any way. My e90 is garaged every night with the windows closed. Could there be an issue with my AC or air filter?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
I've had that issue ! maybe ill mention it on thursday when i bring it in
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

YES Its a common problem i think its 100 bucks from the dealership to fix out of warranty. Smells like shit in my friends car and it deals with the ac.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
JRJ1970
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
YES Its a common problem i think its 100 bucks from the dealership to fix out of warranty. Smells like shit in my friends car and it deals with the ac.
All cars have the potential to have a stinky AC. One thing that I was taught years ago that works well for me is this:

One minute before turning your car off, click the AC button and turn it off. Let it run just the fans for a minute without cooling the air. This somehow blows a lot of the moisture (that later dries and stinks) out of the system. If you really want to be anal, turn off the AC and put the blowers on high to ensure it's 100% gone.

Works like a charm for me. Car never stinks.
      07-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

just hit up the dealer and ask them to change the AC filter
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjinsa View Post
All cars have the potential to have a stinky AC. One thing that I was taught years ago that works well for me is this:

One minute before turning your car off, click the AC button and turn it off. Let it run just the fans for a minute without cooling the air. This somehow blows a lot of the moisture (that later dries and stinks) out of the system. If you really want to be anal, turn off the AC and put the blowers on high to ensure it's 100% gone.

Works like a charm for me. Car never stinks.
The above is if your fan smells like old gym socks. (A possible problem for any A/C system). If it smells like something else, then you should get it looked at.

RE: the above fix. If there is a medium to high humidity level outside, and your ac is running, it is drying the air by condensing it on the coils. When enough is gathered, it drains off the coil and runs out a drain tube to the ground under the car. If the car shuts off, then the fan stops and the water that has condensed, but not yet run down its drain will slowly re-evaporate. This could cause a mold/mildew problem. So turning off the compressor for the last few minutes of use will stop condensing the water, but the fan will still run and re-evaporate and dissipate the moisture on the coils.

I've not found a schematic of how the heating and a/c air flows, but if the heating coil is in series with the cooling coil, then you could also turn the heat up high for that last few minutes to accelerate drying the coil.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
sherlock
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Does your car have a cabin filter? They will cause the car to smell when the A/C or heater is on. I just changed one on my daughter's E36 for the same problem.

sherlock
Appreciate 0