E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Retrofit Reverse Camera with CIC Navigation E90 E91 E92 E93

03-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #89
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

Me too, the working pics are really inspiring, great work getting it sorted. Don't fancy paying what Bimmertech are charging though!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #90
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu? View Post
your assumptions appear to be correct.

The red wire from the RCA plug is only used if you are powering the cam from the emulator. think of it merely as an "extension".

the trio of wires as well as the "filter" are used if you're powering it off of the reverse light
Thanks Tofu. Appreciate the help. The wiring on my camera made it so much easier. All I have done is connected the red wire coming of the RCA to the white wire on the emulator and then earth the wire at the back. The only wire I had to run to the front is the RCA plug. Not bad for a freebie camera (my mate in the trade gave it to me and its got a Sony sensor so has decent picture quality).

All in all, the mod has only cost me £50 for the emulator which is working fine for me. Not bad at all. Will do some extensive testing tomorrow

All the best with your install
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #91
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
Thanks Tofu. Appreciate the help. The wiring on my camera made it so much easier. All I have done is connected the red wire coming of the RCA to the white wire on the emulator and then earth the wire at the back. The only wire I had to run to the front is the RCA plug. Not bad for a freebie camera (my mate in the trade gave it to me and its got a Sony sensor so has decent picture quality).

All in all, the mod has only cost me £50 for the emulator which is working fine for me. Not bad at all. Will do some extensive testing tomorrow

All the best with your install
Reading your response, it suggest that your camera may have night time sensors or light otherwise why would you require parking light connection?
      03-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #92
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 n54

well, my Front/rear emu with active guidelines left Ukraine yesterday (EMS express) according to tracking. Should have it in a few days unless it gets held up in customs.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #93
yujik
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
They do not supply any harness. Emulator wiring is not difficult.
Emulator will be require
+ve
-ve
Can high
Can Low

And if you know those wirings on Quadlock, then its not difficult mate.
Emulator should give you +ve out for the camera.

Camera output connects to Quadlock on separate location which is shown in that listing.

HTH.

PS: Always buy a decent camera. I went for bit expensive one and no regrets. Night time video is so good that I cannot complaint.
I'm not familiar with the connector. Can somebody explain how did you connect emulator wires to the harnes? Do I need to buy new connectors and assemble, or splice to original wires? I haven't seen the current wiring yet. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #94
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Either method works
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #95
yujik
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i coupe

Quote:
Either method works
Is this a right cable to build own harness? I don't want to modify original cables or connectors if possible.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/141227219779?cmd=VIDESC
I have no experience. Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #96
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujik View Post
Is this a right cable to build own harness? I don't want to modify original cables or connectors if possible.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/141227219779?cmd=VIDESC
I have no experience. Any advice would be appreciated.
Yup

In other news, my emulator came and it works perfectly. It also supports nav and video in emotion emulation, so you save money by not having to buy those if you did a CIC retrofit.

I will take a video of the active guidelines sometime this weekend. I haven't set them up yet and am just using it as a regular camera emulator for now. I am very happy for $250 shipped.

Factor in the savings from a Nav emulator, and the real cost of this is only $175 for active guidelines or $125 without. The cheaper emulator has front cam support.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #97
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yup

In other news, my emulator came and it works perfectly. It also supports nav and video in emotion emulation, so you save money by not having to buy those if you did a CIC retrofit.
Good to hear that finally your efforts paid off.
      03-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #98
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yup

I will take a video of the active guidelines sometime this weekend. I haven't set them up yet and am just using it as a regular camera emulator for now. I am very happy for $250 shipped.

Factor in the savings from a Nav emulator, and the real cost of this is only $175 for active guidelines or $125 without. The cheaper emulator has front cam support.
Glad yours is working all ok now mate.

So far, my emulator is all good - even with cam connected to white wire. Done loads of tests and it works well. I find though that if you (like me) have front PDC too, it takes upto 20 seconds to trigger the camera/PDC screen sometimes. Don't think it is a fault though as some people mention the factory fit one doing the same too. Change on reverse is pretty much instant however.

Very pleased with my install so far
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #99
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:
Glad yours is working all ok now mate.

So far, my emulator is all good - even with cam connected to white wire. Done loads of tests and it works well. I find though that if you (like me) have front PDC too, it takes upto 20 seconds to trigger the camera/PDC screen sometimes. Don't think it is a fault though as some people mention the factory fit one doing the same too. Change on reverse is pretty much instant however.

Very pleased with my install so far
Does it sometimes take a while for the rear camera to revert back to the main menu after taking it out of reverse or is it always instant?

Have you retrofitted CIC?

I've had to start again with my harness.... went to finished the install but the clip holding the most wiring broke, so doesn't stay in place
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #100
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yup

Well done mate.... glad you got there in the end!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #101
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post
Does it sometimes take a while for the rear camera to revert back to the main menu after taking it out of reverse or is it always instant?

I've had to start again with my harness.... went to finished the install but the clip holding the most wiring broke, so doesn't stay in place
the chinese emu i was using was pretty flakey in switching in and out of camera mode, but i also had that PDC problem of course.

this new emulator is very consistent. maybe a 1 second delay at most if you're playing around with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #102
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
the chinese emu i was using was pretty flakey in switching in and out of camera mode, but i also had that PDC problem of course.

this new emulator is very consistent. maybe a 1 second delay at most if you're playing around with it.
Did you have the problem switching out of the reverse screen then? So far it's a bit random when it does it...... it eventually comes out of the screen!

Your new emulator - so it replaces the nav / video emulator? Did you have to wire it up?

I'm thinking of getting this now!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #103
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you have the problem switching out of the reverse screen then? So far it's a bit random when it does it...... it eventually comes out of the screen!

Your new emulator - so it replaces the nav / video emulator? Did you have to wire it up?

I'm thinking of getting this now!
chinese one did get stuck in reverse cam mode sometimes but eventually came out

the Ukrainian one i have is wired in series, the same way a navi emulator would be wired. I don't want to give a 100% confirmation on whether it's laggy or not since I only played around with it for a few minutes in my parking spot, but i should be able to give a conclusive review by the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #104
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

No, mine is a factory fit CIC (mines a LCI).

Mines been working ok. There is a bit of a lag, but with use its become considerably less. It lags a bit when I press the PDC button (mines front PDC too) but not noticed a lag when putting the GB in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #105
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

Hello all, my story is like this :

BMW E90 - 11.2006
Retrofit CIC over CCC, CIC system bought from Lithuania, and NAV emulator installed inside CIC.
Retrofit RVC with emulator from EBAY, china model.

The white wire didn't give me +12v , so I managed to take +12v from battery with a relay witch takes command from reverse light.
Now, I have only back PDC, everything is OK now, the camera is working but have same problem with camera going OFF when gear not in reverse.

I think this problem, with camera going OFF delay, comes more to guys like me who has CIC retrofit with NAV emulator, because the NAV emulator doesn't say to CIC real car speed and thats why CIC thinks that the car is still in reverse mode and wait a little bit more until take RVC off. Can someone tell me is I'm right?

And about the problem with white wire, I so something depending on the CIC coding? I have wert_21 on RVC coding and I'm using pins 2 and 18 (I hope I remember well) , if I change codding to wert_23 I will have +12v on white wire when car is in REVERSE?

Thank you.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #106
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post

BMW E90 - 11.2006
Retrofit CIC over CCC, CIC system bought from Lithuania, and NAV emulator installed inside CIC.

The white wire didn't give me +12v , so I managed to take +12v from battery with a relay witch takes command from reverse light.
Now, I have only back PDC, everything is OK now, the camera is working but have same problem with camera going OFF when gear not in reverse.

I think this problem, with camera going OFF delay, comes more to guys like me who has CIC retrofit with NAV emulator, because the NAV emulator doesn't say to CIC real car speed and thats why CIC thinks that the car is still in reverse mode and wait a little bit more until take RVC off. Can someone tell me is I'm right?

And about the problem with white wire, I so something depending on the CIC coding? I have wert_21 on RVC coding and I'm using pins 2 and 18 (I hope I remember well) , if I change codding to wert_23 I will have +12v on white wire when car is in REVERSE?

Thank you.

Regards.
To people who are having delays in their camera switching on and off - have you scanned your car modules for faults?

I fitted one for someone who had CIC retrofitted and it was causing delays as you describe. The white wire was not working too (but works on mine fine - which has factory fit CIC/combox).

The car I was working on had CAN signal errors on quite a lot of modules. I tested it extensively and found that its causing other not so noticable malfunctions such as 'passenger side door lock opening very slow', R on dash display doesn't always come on. Here I found there were CAN faults in the KOMBI and DWA modules. Might be worth checking. I know I had all the wires correct. As soon as the kit was removed from the persons car it was fine and non error codes. Put it back on and CAN errors started again.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #107
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
To people who are having delays in their camera switching on and off - have you scanned your car modules for faults?

I fitted one for someone who had CIC retrofitted and it was causing delays as you describe. The white wire was not working too (but works on mine fine - which has factory fit CIC/combox).

The car I was working on had CAN signal errors on quite a lot of modules. I tested it extensively and found that its causing other not so noticable malfunctions such as 'passenger side door lock opening very slow', R on dash display doesn't always come on. Here I found there were CAN faults in the KOMBI and DWA modules. Might be worth checking. I know I had all the wires correct. As soon as the kit was removed from the persons car it was fine and non error codes. Put it back on and CAN errors started again.
How did you resolve the delay or couldn't you?

Can you scan for faults using NCS Expert?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #108
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

@bmwak thank you for your answer about delay, I will check to see if mine has the same error on CAN, but if it does, how can I get rid of that?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #109
FLUTE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Does anyone gave a parts to buy list for this type of set up for a 58 plate X5 please.

Flute.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 10:29 PM   #110
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post

BMW E90 - 11.2006

Thank you.

Regards.
Problem seems to be related to the emulator you are using.
I would not hope that clearing the can errors will correct it, because as soon as you put your emulator back, they will re-appear.

Refering to wert values, it has nothing to do with white wire out. wert values are basically allocation of the video input to different pins on the back of CIC.

If you read this thread, there is a forum member who bought a different emulator and his problems were resolved. Worth of trying that.