E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ordering OEM turbo replacements, are the install kit and hoses necessary?

12-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Ordering OEM turbo replacements, are the install kit and hoses necessary?

So I know this N54 is a whole different type of special when it comes to parts and what not, but I'm ordering some OEM replacement turbos and just trying to figure out if it's really mandatory to order the oil/coolant lines, and the turbo install kit..?? I've reused those items in the past on many of my previously turbo'd vehicles with no ill effects, but I imagine the only reason people replace them on our cars is because they are oh so fun to get to..

Just taking suggestions as to whether or not I should replace them if they appear to be in proper working condition.

And I'm sure someone may ask, but I'm planning on going with Tischer OEM replacements as nobody else really offers OEM replacements in the $1k range.. I don't plan on exceeding 400-450hp as I want to use my car as a DD, so I assumed this was the way to go and plus my budget from start to finish is about $1500 so I was basically left with OEM as my only option anyways..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
bmwmike89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, f10 m5

Sure you can risk it if you want a chance of leaks or turbos blown in the future due to clogged oil supply lines. Why would you even risk it and not want new seals and such installed when installing new turbos.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

The real question is do you want to risk having to do it again if you develop leaks?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike89 View Post
Sure you can risk it if you want a chance of leaks or turbos blown in the future due to clogged oil supply lines. Why would you even risk it and not want new seals and such installed when installing new turbos.
I wasn't implying that I'm not willing to replace them, just stating that in the past on previous vehicles if it wasn't broke I didn't fix it typically. I think that I may have gotten my answer though lol thanks for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'd replace them. Doing that install over is not fun. Do it once and do it right.

The lines may be ok, it's the seals im worried about. It really depends on how smooth the process goes.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 12-10-2015 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Just blow them out with throttle body cleaner and compressed air. I would not replace them.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'd replace them. Doing that install over is not fun. Do it once and do it right.
I'd agree, you don't want to have to jump back in there twice.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Riceball777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S2000 618whp/ e90 335i

i would of course get all new seals and i would buy the turbo install kit. but i dont see the point of changing oil/coolant hard lines
      12-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball777 View Post
i would of course get all new seals and i would buy the turbo install kit. but i dont see the point of changing oil/coolant hard lines
Agree. This is what I did and would recommend. Make sure you buy all new seals and gaskets.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Kind of shocked you didn't go for some aftermarket/hybrids since they're so much better.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
Island Road
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
I have replaced a few turbos, if you are on a budget and don't want to spend the money don't replace the lines its not a big deal at all. Inspect them to make sure there is no damage clean them with brake cleaner, then compressed air and your good to go.

As some users who have actually replaced the turbos also said all new gaskets and seals for sure. I think my whole gasket/seal kit for everything was under $160.

As for the stock turbos.. Might be worth just spending a few $$$ more to at least buy a set that includes upgraded wastegate. Also FCP euro sells both for $1334 and lifetime warranty and if you find a lower price they will price match. I pretty much exclusively shop with them for all oem parts due to lifetime warranty on all items they sell.

08 AW 6MT | MHD | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ | Hexon RR550 | TFT Inlets
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

The lines may be ok, it's the seals im worried about. It really depends on how smooth the process goes.
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your feedback man..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
Just blow them out with throttle body cleaner and compressed air. I would not replace them.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I'd agree, you don't want to have to jump back in there twice.
Yeah the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to at least do the gaskets and seals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball777 View Post
Thanks for ur input..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
Agree. This is what I did and would recommend. Make sure you buy all new seals and gaskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall View Post
Kind of shocked you didn't go for some aftermarket/hybrids since they're so much better.
I literally only have $1500 to spend, I got some hardware for my girlfriends ring finger that set me back some but my cars smoking and needs to see the road asap.. But also with the plethora of threads about smoking rb's, vtt's, etc and my goal of about 400hp I assumed OEM's would be sufficient..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Road View Post
I have replaced a few turbos, if you are on a budget and don't want to spend the money don't replace the lines its not a big deal at all. Inspect them to make sure there is no damage clean them with brake cleaner, then compressed air and your good to go.

As some users who have actually replaced the turbos also said all new gaskets and seals for sure. I think my whole gasket/seal kit for everything was under $160.

As for the stock turbos.. Might be worth just spending a few $$$ more to at least buy a set that includes upgraded wastegate. Also FCP euro sells both for $1334 and lifetime warranty and if you find a lower price they will price match. I pretty much exclusively shop with them for all oem parts due to lifetime warranty on all items they sell.
Evan and Jason from Tischer both said the newer OEM turbos they're selling have the upgraded wastegate design on them, but I also read VTT claiming the newer OEM turbos still have the faulty design and VTT are the only upgraded OEM's, so idk who's lying lol but I just figured OEM was the way to go if I'm not looking for crazy high HP and just want a reliable daily driver..

And thanks for the tip on FCP I didn't know they had such good deals.. I'm shopping them, tischer, and Husker Parts.. Not sure if anyones purchased a lot through Husker, but they are cheaper then the rest but have $500 core charges per turbo, and Tischer is only $200 core.. Not that it really matters because it gets refunded, but I wonder if they'd consider the core as a part of the price to price match considering Husker is only asking $584 per turbo before core is included..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Island Road
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post

Evan and Jason from Tischer both said the newer OEM turbos they're selling have the upgraded wastegate design on them, but I also read VTT claiming the newer OEM turbos still have the faulty design and VTT are the only upgraded OEM's, so idk who's lying lol but I just figured OEM was the way to go if I'm not looking for crazy high HP and just want a reliable daily driver..

And thanks for the tip on FCP I didn't know they had such good deals.. I'm shopping them, tischer, and Husker Parts.. Not sure if anyones purchased a lot through Husker, but they are cheaper then the rest but have $500 core charges per turbo, and Tischer is only $200 core.. Not that it really matters because it gets refunded, but I wonder if they'd consider the core as a part of the price to price match considering Husker is only asking $584 per turbo before core is included..
When searching for OEM parts always always just follow below to get best prices.
  • Search Realoem for part number
  • Go to FCP Euro add item to you cart "Lifetime warranty on ALL parts"
  • Download BMW PNPC enter part number "select all" and price check.
  • If PNPC finds cheaper price do "FCP Pricematch" they match any price even if its not a BMW site.
  • Now you have a part at the lowest price you can find and did I mention it's lifetime warranty...on allllll parts, not limited to some parts lifetime warranty on allll parts.

I am not affiliated with FCP in anyway but its really a no brainier. How often do we replace coils, spark-plugs, injectors, Valve cover, oil gaskets, even your oil filters. Just passing it along.

Also FYI PNPC shows oem turbos at $598.99 each at thebmwminipartstore.com - Price match and buy.

08 AW 6MT | MHD | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ | Hexon RR550 | TFT Inlets
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Road View Post
When searching for OEM parts always always just follow below to get best prices.
  • Search Realoem for part number
  • Go to FCP Euro add item to you cart "Lifetime warranty on ALL parts"
  • Download BMW PNPC enter part number "select all" and price check.
  • If PNPC finds cheaper price do "FCP Pricematch" they match any price even if its not a BMW site.
  • Now you have a part at the lowest price you can find and did I mention it's lifetime warranty...on allllll parts, not limited to some parts lifetime warranty on allll parts.

I am not affiliated with FCP in anyway but its really a no brainier. How often do we replace coils, spark-plugs, injectors, Valve cover, oil gaskets, even your oil filters. Just passing it along.

Also FYI PNPC shows oem turbos at $598.99 each at thebmwminipartstore.com - Price match and buy.
I did use the BMW PNPC v3.1.0 and it showed Husker as the cheapest at $584.02, but I can't find the link to use FCP's price match.. Lifetime warranty with no small print B/S is a no brainer for sure..!
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
The real question is do you want to risk having to do it again if you develop leaks?
This

i just had the coolant lines replaced on the rear turbo because it developed a leak. Might as well order new lines.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackturbo View Post
This

i just had the coolant lines replaced on the rear turbo because it developed a leak. Might as well order new lines.
I guess for the $150 for the hoses and lines I might as well.. Thanks for ur input..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #17
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

Yep, $150 piece of mind. Never having to worry, maybe i shoulda changed that.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #18
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcase View Post
Yep, $150 piece of mind. Never having to worry, maybe i shoulda changed that.
Yeah I suppose I'll just get the stupid hoses lol..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 04:40 AM   #19
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Yeah I suppose I'll just get the stupid hoses lol..
Get some inlets while your in there. Your turbo will run more efficiently thus probably last longer. Lower WGDC
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2015, 05:53 AM   #20
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk55 View Post
Get some inlets while your in there. Your turbo will run more efficiently thus probably last longer. Lower WGDC
I thought about that as well.. Only thing that I'm still curious about, is why some are $199 and others are $499 lol..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #21
max
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 2011 335is

I've been trying to follow your saga since the beginning of your posts about "smoking".

What happened with BMWNA replacing your turbos under warranty due to faulty wastegates?
      12-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #22
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
I've been trying to follow your saga since the beginning of your posts about "smoking".

What happened with BMWNA replacing your turbos under warranty due to faulty wastegates?
Four calls in to BMWNA and all they did was send an escalated "urgency" email to the Service Manager @ BMW of Fort Myers, and I've yet to receive any help from them.. That was three weeks ago and I've called several times since then.. My friends dad is a lawyer and he told me to basically do what I have to do to get my car running and take legal action following that.. Apparently they've been sued a few dozen times and lost every time due to our beloved N54, all based off work they denied doing that was covered in the Service Bulletin/Warranty Extension for the N54 platforms.. That just seems like such a p.i.t.a. to do, for something that should be fixed per the black and white documents.. I just called again today and they CC'd the Regional Manager to the email so that he could see I was being ignored..
Appreciate 0