E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Brand New Car, What To Use To Clean Inside Leather & Interior

07-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
GiovanniE90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E 90 335"IS" & X5 3.0

Question Brand New Car, What To Use To Clean Inside Leather & Interior

Just recently purchased a 335IS, red interior and I was wondering what do I need? what do YOU suggest for me to use to clean the INTERIOR (its red by the way).

I went to Auto Zone searched around and I don’t know from everyone always telling me that had leather from me sitting in their cars it looks like it cracks after awhile.

I’m trying to always have the new car smell with the leather spotless and always nice and smooth like the way it is now.

Best way to clean the Leather?

What to clean it with? [U]<LEATHER>? [/U](If I can get the things I need to clean the leather from an auto zone or order it online?)

For now I’m just whipping everything down with a microfiber interior cloth that I bought.

But I’ve read the forms and I know all of you are probably like no I didn’t but I swear I did lol But I guess I’m just way to wired to understand or way to tired I don’t know what it might be.

I’m also nervous that leather might start cracking because of the HEAT!

Thanks Guys I really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Congratulations on your purchase. Most of the products found on detailing sites will work better than any over the counter items found in your local autoparts store. You may want to try out different types of leather conditioners to keep the leather nice and soft. I usually use a microfiber towel along with some leather conditioner and massage it into the leather. It'll give you a good amount of protection from the heat as there are conditioners out there including ours which contain SPF. There's also a lot of choices for leather cleaners out there. Just make sure that whichever one you may try out, test it on the bottom of your seat first to make sure it's not too harsh that it will strip some of the dye from the leather. At our shop we use a soft brush to work in the cleaner and finish it off with an mf towel. There's lot of products to choose from amongst a few different vendors on this site. There's also a good amount of info on the stickies that will help you out as well. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Congrats on the new ride! Caring for the vehicle right away whether it's brand new or just new to you will make future cleanings easier while the vehicle is looking great year round. Below are some of my favorite products for the steps I generally take when caring for a new vehicle.

Exterior Protection
Wash - Most swirls come from the washing and drying process so make sure you use good technique (see our detailing guide) and use quality products. If you need to upgrade all of your materials check out these three package deals:
DI Packages Foamaster II Advanced Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Advanced Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay - Is a great way to deep clean the paint and even most new vehicles can benefit from it. It's not a must have step but it certainly helps. If interested check out the directions in the Detailing Guide, but it's actually pretty easy. If interested check out this kit: DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Seal - Protecting the exterior right away will preserve the paint and make future cleanings easier. I highly recommend the Blackfire Wet Diamond w/polycharger because it looks amazing, applies with ease and protects for months (4-6). I also use it on the headlights, exterior glass and wheels for added protection. You only need about 1 oz per coat for a medium size car so apply it nice and thin for best results. Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger). If you want to a layer a wax on top you can, it'll add more protection and gloss but it's not a must at all. If interested let me know and I'll provide you some recommendations.

Microfiber - Microfiber is paint safe and highly effective at removing the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, wax, etc. For this process I would suggest getting 3x - 6x of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are also great for interior cleanings, apply protection, leather care, glass care and so much more!

Interior Protection
303 Aerospace Protectant protects just about the whole interior (vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather). It blocks out UV rays and preserves the finish so apply it to the dashboard, doors, console, arm rests, exterior trim, rubber moldings, etc. etc. Protecting the carpets and mats is super easy just mist the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on them and you are done! It will help repel moisture and the fabric will look exactly the same. It's such an easy step that many people skip over but trust me it's well worth it. The SONAX Leather Foam can be used on the leather as well to keep it clean, without any extra gloss or shine that is generally not good for the leather.

Wheels
I love the new SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect which is very strong yet pH neutral and totally safe to use. It helps clean the wheels quickly and effectively! To protect the wheels you can use the same sealant listed above or get something like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

Tires
If you want the tires looking like new year round the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is an amazing product. It provides a semi-permanet coating that keeps the tires looking new, repelling moisture and contaminants while still good for the rubber.

If you follow these basic pre-cautions your vehicle will look great for years to come and keep the re-sale value up! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

Since you asked what was the 'best' way to clean leather, I would recommend leatherique.
It takes a bit longer, works best when it's warm although I've used it when the weather was cold (west coast standards) 45 deg, by
using a small SAFE space heater with auto shutoff.

I've used leather masters and while it's good. I prefer leatherique, it actually feels like it nourishes the leather.
I picked mine up from Detailed Image. I also followed this very informative post on their site.
      07-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Leather cleaning / care - CliffNotes® Version

Simple cleaning and protection steps that will prolong the life of finished leather. The type of leather upholstery used by 95% of OEM is a multi strata covering over the leather hide; pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Finished leather s only requirement is to be kept clean and protected, urethane doesn’t require conditioning or rejuvenation

An acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, then two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications, and then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel and abrasion resistance as well as a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle as the final stage of the finishing process.

(a) Clean - as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear. Use a aqueous (water- based) foam cleaner (Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner) on ventilated seats

(b) Hydrated - use aqueous (water- based) products that do not contain oils and/or waxes, check the label if they do then don't use them. Clean surfaces with a damp towel.

(c) Protected - is essential as it will protect the surface finish (Leather Master™ - Protection Cream) as a sacrificial layer and makes dirt easier to clean off and an ultra violet protective product (UVR) will preserve the finish.

Leather Master™ - Protection Cream (a Scotchgard™ type product specifically formulated for lather) the polymers penetrate the surface of finished leather and cross-link to form a durable protective film that is breathable and keeps the leather supple. Being aqueous (water- based) it restores moisture to finished leather and provides a protective barrier against every kind of soiling, water, oil, alcohol-based stains and perspiration marks.

(d) Patina - this is NOT a conditioner per se but is used to improve and maintain the tactile feel and lustre to ensure the leather remains soft and supple; apply Leather Master™ Soft Touch (ex Soft Vital) and allow to dry for approx 20 minutes, finally using a clean dry 100% cotton micro fibre towel buff to a matte sheen.

The hides used for automobile upholstery are treated with fat liquor and then sealed at the tannery. The only 'conditioning' required for finished leather upholstery is hydration; oil-based products cannot permeate the finish (urethane pigmentation or covering) that is used in 95% plus of modern automobiles

Always keep in mind that you’re dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Rampage9
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

I previously used Zaino Z9 + Z10, but hated the smell of the Z10 and it always left a slippery residue on the surface.

I just used Leather Masters (Cleaner + Protection Creme) like TOGWT suggests on my last detail and it is far superior!

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

If the car's new, you won't need to use any special cleaner.

Vacum the cracks out monthly and then use a warm, damp cloth to wipe all the leather surfaces. Once cleaned, I like to use Lexol Conditioner. It's not the most expensive product, but it's very easy to use and I've not found a product that provides a better result.
Appreciate 0