E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Definitive Answer? Schwaben vs Foxwell

08-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
EricJ17
Rep
Drives: Hyundai Genesis

Definitive Answer? Schwaben vs Foxwell

I have searched and didn’t find an answer. Apologies if this is the wrong subforum or if I missed the answer somewhere. I’m looking to purchase a scan tool. I would need to purchase a laptop to run standard tools and I want something I can keep in the car. I’m looking at the Schwaben Pro Scan Tool and the Foxwell NT510. Of course I dragged my feet while the Schwaben was on sale and now the Foxwell tool is about $55 cheaper than the Schwaben. I know they’re both made by Foxwell and they’re clearly physically the same.

Does anyone know for sure whether the software is the same, and if not, is Schwaben superior? I have seen a thread that states they have different software but there is no evidence of that. I have also seen that they are exactly the same, but it looks like this info may come directly from Foxwell which I don’t really have much of a reason to trust.

The reviews are a little hit or miss but as long as they honor the 1 year warranty the Foxwell seems like kind of a no brainer for me if they’re identical. I mostly just want to check/clear codes, code batteries etc. if necessary and run smooth running checks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

Get ProTool
Road to 500hp daily on the way (ya right lol)
--------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
EricJ17
Rep

Hmmm yeah not something I’d considered even though I’m aware of BimmerGeeks. Can anyone who has it comment on the user friendliness of it? A scan tool seems a little more stand alone (I have an iPhone so I’d need to buy an Android tablet - not a huge deal but just another thing) but I wouldn’t mind being able to code my e diff. As long as it can code that and do a smooth running test (one of the main things I want to do aside from code reading) I’d be all for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

I have the Schwaben and I like it, it does almost everything I need it too. Protool is good but then I have to use an adapter, phone, etc. I just keep the schwaben in my trunk and if I need to do stuff it is right there. But I also have Carly, ISTA, etc.
      08-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
EricJ17
Rep

Any clue if ProTool can do a smooth running check? Any chance you’d be willing to check for me? I know the Schwaben can do it. That’s really why I want to get a diagnostic tool now. I need one anyway but I think I have a very slight misfire that’s not bad enough to throw a code or have one pending as I’ve checked that.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

I have an NT510, and saved me from buying cars that were riddled with fault codes on 2 occasions.

I am curious if BimmerLink, iCarly and such work similarly as I rather have a small adapter than a large piece of equipment.
Appreciate 0