E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Urges Dealers to Use Computerized Repair Inspections

08-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb BMW Urges Dealers to Use Computerized Repair Inspections

Via WardsAuto
Quote:
BMW of North America Inc. wants more of its 338 U.S. dealers to use a computerized system to do vehicle inspections when customers arrive for repair and maintenance work.

The auto maker is offering a special program subsidy for dealers who sign up to use Mobile Productivity Inc.’s product, MPi-EDGE/World Class Inspections. Pricing is based on dealership size and number of users.

While participation is voluntary, BMW is encouraging its dealers to consult with MPi to see if the program is a fit for their service departments.

The goal is to boost the number of multi-point vehicle inspections by making it easier and faster for service technicians to conduct them. With the MPi system, mechanics use hand-held devices to check off formatted inspection points on a mobile screen.

The finished product is a report using layman’s terms and illustrations to describe what is in good working order and what is not. The report recommends repairs and includes costs.

It is designed to boost repair orders, increase service and parts profits and enhance customer satisfaction by keeping clients’ cars in good and safe running order.

Despite the mutual benefits of inspections, mechanics often skip the traditional clipboard variety because of the time and effort involved in writing things down, point by point.

Even when inspections are done that way, mechanics sometimes stop short of doing a full report. The MPi system keeps that from happening because the software doesn’t accept incomplete inspections.

Some BMW stores using the system already report it leads to more thorough inspections, a better job of explaining needed repairs to customers and an average $100-$125 in additional needed repairs per inspection.

“We’ve seen a very marked increase in service department up-sells this past year,” says Lisa Schomp, owner of Schomp BMW in Highland Ranch, CO.

She expects that to get even better. “We’re still discovering what this tool can do for us.”

Dealerships facing soft vehicle sales of late are turning to their back shops to pick up the profit slack.

“We now see the service department as a great place for sales and growth opportunity,” Schomp says.

BMW’s backing is valuable, says David Boyle, MPi president and chief operating officer.

“With current market conditions, the key is to promote and sell all legitimately needed parts and service work to existing customers,” he says.

MPi’s vehicle-inspection program includes the EDGE software system; two customized, customer friendly reports called “Recommended Action Plan” and “Know Your Vehicle”; management reporting and analysis capabilities; consulting and training services; and process and performance metrics.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
mihink
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X7, '17 640i Gran Coupe

Another reason to avoid dealers "up-selling" you on repairs.
Find a good indy shop after your warranty ends!
      08-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
pros: ideally make things more efficient and more thorough inspections

cons: BMW trying to make more money? and/or still doesn't fix incompetence when it comes to repairing your vehicle
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
It is designed to boost repair orders, increase service and parts profits and enhance customer satisfaction by keeping clients’ cars in good and safe running order.

“We’ve seen a very marked increase in service department up-sells this past year,” says Lisa Schomp, owner of Schomp BMW in Highland Ranch, CO.

She expects that to get even better. “We’re still discovering what this tool can do for us.”
Fuck that.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

i love this line..

Quote:
they think we're mugs?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Sir, our scanner has indicated that your turn signal blinker fluid is low. That'll cost you $150.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Where's the scanner that gives the customer cash back for all of your wasted time and trouble when you need to go in for repair work? Ohh right, there isn't one.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Interesting technology. They might also want to address the fact that dealers often have no idea what service is actually due at the regularly scheduled intervals. When I asked BMWNA about how I could confirm that the dealer has done the proper service, they referred me to the dealer. I suppose I could ask the dealer what service they just forgot to perform or what service they are unaware of...makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Is that the Sucker-meter?
      08-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

i guess it has its pros and cons but we all know the computer cannot check everything eg tires missing bolts rust etc
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:

The goal is to boost the number of multi-point vehicle inspections by making it easier and faster for service technicians to conduct them.

The finished product is a report using layman’s terms and illustrations to describe what is in good working order and what is not.

Despite the mutual benefits of inspections, mechanics often skip the traditional clipboard variety because of the time and effort involved in writing things down, point by point.

The MPi system keeps that from happening because the software doesn’t accept incomplete inspections.

Some BMW stores using the system already report it leads to more thorough inspections, a better job of explaining needed repairs to customers and an average $100-$125 in additional needed repairs per inspection.

Dealerships facing soft vehicle sales of late are turning to their back shops to pick up the profit slack.
Another software illusion: a virtual repair, with the usual ultimate goal, as shown in bold.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
Vel
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking for a Z4

I'll reserve judgment for now. If it gets the mechanic to do the multi-point checks he's otherwise too lazy to do, I say the system is fine; if it's only purpose is to up-sell, then it blows.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Back in 1995 the national average for service repair dept income was over $116K per LIFT in the service dept. The dealer I worked at had 16 lifts! Do the math.

I bet that average is over $250K per lift/rack now. $$$
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Indy shops are not to be taken lightly either; some will try to rip-off customers. If a person is not mechanically "inclined", he/she will not know what hit them.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #16
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

Another reason to lease!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #17
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

My service center used this a few weeks ago when I took my car in to have a DRL bulb changed as it had died. I pulled in and talked to the service adviser who explained how the visit was going to proceed (mind you the car was directly behind us and still running). He said they would plug it into the computer and see what light was out. I turned around and said, it's the left one, see? He said well, the computer will know....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #18
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Fix The Hpfp First

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
Steve325xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 325xi

And this is why I will never take my BMW to a dealer once it's out of warranty. I wonder if BMW and its 338 dealers calculate that...

EDIT: This really fucking pisses me off, to the point that I will probably never buy a BMW again.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

"Uhhh we're sorry Mr Smith, the computer says your ECU file has been altered. It has been noted in your profile. Thank you very much for coming to our dealership today."
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #21
catserfp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3-10 / M2-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
My service center used this a few weeks ago when I took my car in to have a DRL bulb changed as it had died. I pulled in and talked to the service adviser who explained how the visit was going to proceed (mind you the car was directly behind us and still running). He said they would plug it into the computer and see what light was out. I turned around and said, it's the left one, see? He said well, the computer will know....

ROTFL
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #22
x5m power
M3 V8 Power "The Last of Best"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 comp edition

Dealers is a buisness just like the people commenting on this thread,you need to make money too for a living you can't blame them for that. Its a free enterprise economy. And if you dont tell the customer he or she needs work done they will come screamipsing and blame you,why didn't you tell me the first time I was there. Its to protect the liability of the dealership and the customers saftey. If you done like dealerships for repairs go to an independent shop were they use non oe parts. Dealerships are not the enemy in this situation. Peace and love

Last edited by x5m power; 09-01-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0