E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Alignment Specs

08-17-2007, 02:49 AM   #23
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGOO7 View Post
deff not every shop does......the reason i am iffy about my shop is because i watched the tech align my car.....he set the toe all around to .05 then he print out the sheet and went under the front end of the car and tightened one thing on each side of the front of the car....this gave me the feeling like when he tighten it up maybe it threw it all off?

Im going to get aligned at another shop tommrow to make sure its all good...its worth the extra 100 bux
Re-aligning it will be a very good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
wow awesome Ray...

Btw those items you sent me fit like a glove , pics to follow I'm very happy...
Donny, if you ever need an alignment, just hop on Hwy 80 for a couple days and the work will be on me!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #24
Rodrigo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

Ray, you seem to have a lot of experience aligning E9Xs so I have a few questions for you.

In your experience has it been easy to realign an E92/3 to factory specs after being lowered with H&R Sport springs? By easy I mean something any alignment shop can do without the need for additional parts such as camber plates. If not, what else is required?

If so, about how much of a drop will allow us realign a E92/3 back to factory specs easily? Is an H&R Sport drop the lowest without sacrificing in terms of the alignment/tire wear?

On the E92/3s with H&R Sports that you've performed an alignment on where the realigned specs barely within the factory limits or where you able to get them to the center of the factory spec range?

I see that you mentioned that if you run wider tires than OEM that the camber that you run should be slighlty more positive than the factory recommended settings, but I'm assuming that I should still remain within their recommended spec range, correct? So if I go with 265/30/19s or 275/30/19s in the rear I should aim for a camber -1.3? I don't think it'd be a good idea to go all the way to their positive range limit of +0.1 on the front tires so I'm assuming -.1 to -.2 would be good for the front if the tires are a little wider than OEM, correct? In your experiece, are these specs even obtainable with an H&R Sport drop?

Sorry for all the damn questions, Ray, but I've been researching them for a while and no one seems to have a definite answer. I would love to get rid of the huge front wheel gap on my E93, but have been very hesitant to lower the car since I don't want to have any of the alignment/tire wear issues I've had in the past.

Thank you very much!!

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #25
Ray
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
In your experience has it been easy to realign an E92/3 to factory specs after being lowered with H&R Sport springs? By easy I mean something any alignment shop can do without the need for additional parts such as camber plates. If not, what else is required?

If so, about how much of a drop will allow us realign a E92/3 back to factory specs easily? Is an H&R Sport drop the lowest without sacrificing in terms of the alignment/tire wear?

On the E92/3s with H&R Sports that you've performed an alignment on where the realigned specs barely within the factory limits or where you able to get them to the center of the factory spec range?

I see that you mentioned that if you run wider tires than OEM that the camber that you run should be slighlty more positive than the factory recommended settings, but I'm assuming that I should still remain within their recommended spec range, correct? So if I go with 265/30/19s or 275/30/19s in the rear I should aim for a camber -1.3? I don't think it'd be a good idea to go all the way to their positive range limit of +0.1 on the front tires so I'm assuming -.1 to -.2 would be good for the front if the tires are a little wider than OEM, correct? In your experiece, are these specs even obtainable with an H&R Sport drop?
Hey Rodrigo,
The E9x rear has a full range of adjustments for both camber and toe, and the front has no OE camber adjustments while the toe has a full range.

I have seen many E9x with H&R Sports fall within range, but some do not. As we all know, no two cars are exactly alike. This occurance is very unpredictable and has happened to both E90 and E92. I can safely assume that the H&R Sport drop barely surpasses the threshold.

Here are the two solutions to adjusting front camber:
1) Camber plate (as you mentioned)
2) Remove nub from the top of OE camber plate (allowing a 0.5 degree adjustment range)(yes, it's safe)

I recommend Solution #2 during spring installation.

The rear tire clearance is always my biggest concern. As you mentioned, you are in the mercey of the fenders allowance. With a 265 tire on a 9.5" +30mm wheel, you can adjust with the full range.

No specs are available for lowered cars, but the Sport specs accomodate pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #26
Rodrigo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the info, Ray.

How exactly does one go about removing the nub from the top of OE camber plate? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined and haven't heard it mentioned before, maybe because I'm new to BMWs. Is this technique widely known and should it be reasonably expected that any alignment shop be able to do this? Last question, you said it gives you an additional 0.5 degrees of adjustment, is this towards the positive or negative end of the range or split between the two?

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #27
Ray
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the info, Ray.

How exactly does one go about removing the nub from the top of OE camber plate? I'm not exactly mechanically inclined and haven't heard it mentioned before, maybe because I'm new to BMWs. Is this technique widely known and should it be reasonably expected that any alignment shop be able to do this? Last question, you said it gives you an additional 0.5 degrees of adjustment, is this towards the positive or negative end of the range or split between the two?
This nub will screw off and is recommended during isntallation of springs/shocks. Otherwise, whoever does your alignment will have to remove your wheels and pull out the upper half of the suspension component to access the nub.

The nub simply guides the upper mount in place and is a trade secret.

+/- 0.5 range
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #28
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
This nub will screw off and is recommended during isntallation of springs/shocks. Otherwise, whoever does your alignment will have to remove your wheels and pull out the upper half of the suspension component to access the nub.

The nub simply guides the upper mount in place and is a trade secret.

+/- 0.5 range
Ray, you are a rockstar.

So with the nub removed, I can get a total of -0.7 - 0.5 = -1.2 degrees of negative camber up front?

Once the nub is removed, can I quickly and easily adjust camber? In other words, I'd probably run normal spec on the street and dial it to max negative for track days. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #29
Ray
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Ray, you are a rockstar.

So with the nub removed, I can get a total of -0.7 - 0.5 = -1.2 degrees of negative camber up front?

Once the nub is removed, can I quickly and easily adjust camber? In other words, I'd probably run normal spec on the street and dial it to max negative for track days. Thanks!
Keep in mind that the front has no true camber adjustment.

Otherwise, you are correct. If your car's camber reads (y), you can deviate to (y +/- 0.5).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #30
Rodrigo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Keep in mind that the front has no true camber adjustment.
Please forgive my ignorance, but if there is no "true" camber adjustment for the front, how is the camber adjusted once the nub is removed?

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #31
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

Quote:
Please forgive my ignorance, but if there is no "true" camber adjustment for the front, how is the camber adjusted once the nub is removed?
I'm no expert, but I think it is because you can now "shift" the OE plate around a little. As opposed to the nub "centering" the plate in place. That sound right Ray?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #32
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
deff not every shop does......the reason i am iffy about my shop is because i watched the tech align my car.....he set the toe all around to .05 then he print out the sheet and went under the front end of the car and tightened one thing on each side of the front of the car....this gave me the feeling like when he tighten it up maybe it threw it all off?

Im going to get aligned at another shop tommrow to make sure its all good...its worth the extra 100 bux
hey, what shop are you taking it too....?
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #33
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

This thead should be added as a sticky in this section.

Thanks.

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #34
Ray
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMD1709 View Post
I'm no expert, but I think it is because you can now "shift" the OE plate around a little. As opposed to the nub "centering" the plate in place. That sound right Ray?
Jim's exactly right!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #35
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
hey, what shop are you taking it too....?

Miami Chassis and Alignment SUCKS.........The alignment factory finally got it right ...i drove to palm beach and back and tires are wearing perfectly
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #36
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
great info thanks
      08-28-2007, 01:49 AM   #37
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Miami Chassis and Alignment SUCKS.........The alignment factory finally got it right ...i drove to palm beach and back and tires are wearing perfectly
thats y i asked you where you were going.....i was going to refer you to them. they do great work. especially on slammed cars.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #38
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
This thead should be added as a sticky in this section.

Thanks.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #39
Toda Party
Private
Rep
Drives: E90, EM1, CBR

please sticky this!

search ftw.

U guys think it's worth bringing my car back to the alignment shop if:

(E90 with left side all within spec)

Right Front Camber: -1.1 (range -0.2 to -0.9)
Right Rear camber: -2.3 (range -1.6 to -2.1)

Car was drifting right before the alignment (previous was -2.8 RR camber with 0.27 toe haha) - still sorta drifts right but I'm not sure if the tires need to even out or whatever.
Just a DD, stock everything. Thanks a lot.
      04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #40
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
6 y/o thread.
Appreciate 0