E90Post

European Auto Source (EAS)

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The absurdity of chasing the "latest and greatest" car on the market

08-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #177
OkieSnuffBox
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

^Great article, thanks for sharing!

I had the exact same experience when I still rode sportbikes. I thought my cheesy HJC helmet was OK, until I bought what was at the time, a top-of-the-line Shoei. Fit, construction was dramatically better, much better venting at speed, much lighter.

Same when I stepped up to Sidi boots and everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #178
ShocknAwe
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N54

Tech is great, but I don't want to interact with it. I want to interact with my car. So if the car is worth driving, I'll buy it and drive it into the ground and give it a viking funeral when it finally goes. Been doing great with my 1er, wonderful journey in driving, maintenance, and modification so far. Well see how the 958 I'm going to pick up this weekend does.

Now in so far as interface tech like nav/radio/etc goes, if it's old but still works fine, great. If it's old and outdated and can't be remedied, I'm sure a phone can do the job.

It's the engine, trans, and suspension that counts.

I love the partnership with the car, but if the honeymoon phase ends and a year in I'm not still looking back, I'll ditch it and try something else. Life is too short for dull cars.
10"1882.50

08-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #179
bkfastwagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3; 2018 X3 M40i; 201

I used to have friends who chased "latest and greatest" and I was one of them if I'm being honest. Most of us grew out of that though. In fact most of us grew out of the whole car thing all together- except me. I think I'm emotionally attached to my M3. It's all rational in my head but most people would think it's absurd. So, I agree with someone who said it all depends on which perspective you take. I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for their car decisions.
Appreciate 0