Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Fender Roll

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Fender Roll

Pardon the ignorance but what consists of a fender roll?

I am starting to consider lowering just a tad and finally pulling the trigger on dumping the run flats and getting real tires and wheels. Suspension also.

To me this is a huge project as I have never done this.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

A fender roll is crimping flat the lip on the inside of the fender flush with the outside. You get a few extra mm of clearance. A tool you can get from Eastwood ot tirerack will do it. It's about $150. If your rears are going over 285mm or you have aggressive offsets then you'll probably need to do this. What size tires, wheels are you looking at including wheel widths and offsets?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
Pardon the ignorance but what consists of a fender roll?

I am starting to consider lowering just a tad and finally pulling the trigger on dumping the run flats and getting real tires and wheels. Suspension also.

To me this is a huge project as I have never done this.
Removal of the wheel and attachment of the Roller to the hub. Roller does what Fundguy1 says. It "rolls" or bends the inside edge of the fender up and mashes it flat or as close to flat as one can. A pull is a flaring of the fender using the same tool or a phone book or baseball bat. Whomever rolls your fenders should warm the surface with a heat gun to prevent your paint from cracking. A roll or pull should not crack your paint if done right. Guys who are meticulous and good will heat the fender first.

I had mine done by noted LTMW who unfortunately did not do as good of a job as I expected - and did not heat the fender. Fat Stance pictured below - did a superior job and did not crack my paint.
Attached Images

'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete

Last edited by EMITTR; 06-02-2015 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: added pics
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I would recommend finding a shop. If you're not sure of what it is, I wouldn't tackle the job yourself. It's not hard, but it does require some nuance to ensure you don't crack the paint or damage the metal. On our cars, it's also very easy to go from a roll to a pull and there's no reversing that.

I did my E92 myself, and then pulled slightly for clearance. But relative to some other cars I've done, it's easy to pull the fender. So if you're not paying attention, you can mess it up. Even shops mess up fender rolls all the time so make sure you ask around.

If you do really want to do this yourself and don't want to buy the tool, they rent plenty of them on eBay. Usually $50 with shipping both ways including a heat gun. Not bad if you only plan to use the tool once.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I would recommend finding a shop. If you're not sure of what it is, I wouldn't tackle the job yourself. It's not hard, but it does require some nuance to ensure you don't crack the paint or damage the metal. On our cars, it's also very easy to go from a roll to a pull and there's no reversing that.

I did my E92 myself, and then pulled slightly for clearance. But relative to some other cars I've done, it's easy to pull the fender. So if you're not paying attention, you can mess it up. Even shops mess up fender rolls all the time so make sure you ask around.

If you do really want to do this yourself and don't want to buy the tool, they rent plenty of them on eBay. Usually $50 with shipping both ways including a heat gun. Not bad if you only plan to use the tool once.
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Thanks very much guys and I would not attempt this myself, don't want to practice on my car.

Fundguy you know tires and wheels so I will seek your advice and MonoacoBlue when the time comes.

I was all set to go with Apex wheels on the Group Buy and got way too busy with work. Will revisit wheels/tires soon.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

No problema
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
joeinsd
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stock 2010 e92 335i M Sport

Mature answers. Just the way a forum is supposed to be.

Appreciate 0