E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > bmw eclectronics guru, anyone know one?

01-04-2015, 05:16 AM   #1
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

bmw eclectronics guru, anyone know one?

So I got a couple of electrical issues I need sorted that no one I have tried has been able to fix so I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone who is a guru when is comes to bmw electrics?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

What are the problems?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

sport mode wont activate, paddle shifts don't down shift and oil level sensor doesn't work even though I have fitted a new one.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
sport mode wont activate, paddle shifts don't down shift and oil level sensor doesn't work even though I have fitted a new one.
Sport Mode as your talking about an Auto is probably wiring broken within the shifter mech(which is now starting to get more common)a few people on here have expierienced the issue and have carried out a sucessful reapir, basically wiring wise there isn't enough flex in the cabling(but its more a problem with the wiring routing it seems)and over time moving the lever over this eventually starts to break up. Its susually 2-3 wires that break and basic knowledge anda soldering iron will see you right, BMW have modified the gear selector as this is a known issue(quite how its been modified I don't know)

One of many YouTube repair vid's
though where the cat comes into it

As for the oil level sensor more difficult one to be 100% on. That item should be a plug play clear code(if code is present)operation everytime we've ever fitted one the issues disappeared, there could well be a fault elsewhere preventing communication but as said difficult to be 100% but the sensor as you know only measures oi level/oil quality and is basically a capactor that's it(when they measure differnt oil levels from day to day or measure full one day fill with a litre of oil the next)then ussually thats a fair sign the sensors at fault. Sometimes though there could be aglitch software wise that will eventually see the issue gone(but why can't we have an old fashioned dipstick aswell)

Last edited by old grey steve; 01-04-2015 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

I had the shifter issue, resolved exactly as Steve described above. Couldn't believe it when I saw the severed wires!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Yer Iv done all that on the shifter and nothing. Sometimes ds will flash up for a second when push it over but then goes straight back into d mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
Yer Iv done all that on the shifter and nothing. Sometimes ds will flash up for a second when push it over but then goes straight back into d mode.
Then the best way forward is to diagnostic wise get it checked out to see where you stand you'll be able to have the communication side checked to see if there is an issue wiring wise or shifter internal wise(though I'd suggest this is fairly rare)but you never know, but if it's going from DS to D then it could be a shifter issue, which has an internal switch. If you drive in full M mode does it work as expected with up/down shifts operating as expected.

If you say you've checked the wiring fine, but as you didn't mention this on your OP we weren't to know, which does sometimes help us to help you, however don't 100% rule out wiring as there are some wires hidden that you may not be able fully see that could be the issue your facing.

Last edited by old grey steve; 01-04-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

So you are absolutely sure it's not this:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=shifter+wires

On mine, we had to remove a bit of trim on the shifter to access the wires which had been damaged. Look at the photos of the damage at the end of the thread, you'll see why it wasn't working correctly.

The problem you described sounds exactly like symptoms mine had, I am very surprised if all of your wires are fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
So you are absolutely sure it's not this:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=shifter+wires

On mine, we had to remove a bit of trim on the shifter to access the wires which had been damaged. Look at the photos of the damage at the end of the thread, you'll see why it wasn't working correctly.

The problem you described sounds exactly like symptoms mine had, I am very surprised if all of your wires are fine.
Exactly some wires are hidden they get chaffed, snagged, crimped hence its the most common issue there are a few cases where the shifters internal switching mech has failed but its fairly rare
      01-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

OK this is the error which we found on OP's car

0x5087 Hardware Eingänge Tippfunktion

Which translate into

'Hardware inputs jog function'

So OP, check all the connections as it might be related to wires as mentioned earlier.

I could not find any other info on this error code.
      01-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
OK this is the error which we found on OP's car

0x5087 Hardware Eingnge Tippfunktion

Which translate into

'Hardware inputs jog function'

So OP, check all the connections as it might be related to wires as mentioned earlier.

I could not find any other info on this error code.
I've seen that code with a cable break before. Nothing a soldering iron can't fix! As you say, I'd recheck all the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I replaced the complete selector and have the exact same issue. No wires are broken on the new one.

So the issue is somewhere else but where and thanks makkan for supply the codes didn't think you would still have them, top man.
Appreciate 0