E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > something sliding around??

03-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
orso
Rep
Drives: 330i TiAg, 6 sp, ZSP, Prem etc

something sliding around??

I have noticed a noise coming from what sounds like under the dash or hood that sounds like a something sliding back and forth as I begin to accelerate in first and shift into second. At first, I thought it was my CDs sliding around in the armrest but they are not moving. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
shutterbug
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Check in your glovebox. I have a small flashlight in there that creates the same sliding sound when I accelerate. Took me a while to figure that out!
      03-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
GoBonesGo
What do you do when you see a spaceman?
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/Terra E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug
Check in your glovebox. I have a small flashlight in there that creates the same sliding sound when I accelerate. Took me a while to figure that out!
If you're talking about the flashlight that came with the car, it has a very secure holder/charger. It won't move a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
AK47
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 JET BLACK 330

Check under your seat, there is a air duct right under your seat. I have a quarter/penny/nickle that was sliding around back and fourth inside the duct, especially accelerating, and stopping. Use a flashlight, and a long chopstick(if you have one) to see if you can find anything under.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Does it also happen during hard braking?

I had a sliding sound in my car and it turns out that some coins fell out of my pocket and made their way into the air duct that supplies AC/heat to the floor in the back seat. Drove me nuts for a week!

The coins would slide in the plastic duct that runs under the floor during hard acceleration or braking. The noise would resonate up into the dash air vents so it was not obvious where it was originating from.

So here's what I did...
Went to the end of my road, accelerated as fast as possible to slide the coins as far back in the duct as possible. Then I coasted into the driveway and used a coat hanger, flashlight and a toilet snake to get them out.

Bad design if you ask me....it is very easy for things to fall into the air duct because it is a bit lower than the carpet.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
orso
Rep
Drives: 330i TiAg, 6 sp, ZSP, Prem etc

Thanks

Coins under the seat sounds about right...I will explore as suggested. Thanks, guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
Bob T
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i, Jet Black, BMW Motos

I just went through the same thing. A damn pen fell when I was at the bank and it went between the seats. I couldn't find it, kept probing the seat tracks looking for it with no luck. Today the swishing noise of it moving around in the duct was driving me nuts. Wasn't sure what the noise was, thought it was something wrong with the car until stumbling into this thread.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
zzinco79
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Exactly same happend to me before.

It was pretty scared.

It will goes away soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 06:14 AM   #9
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
I've been having the same noise for more than 2 weeks now.

If I accelerate very hard, there is a sliding object that sounds like it's in the driver's door.... Also, if I brake hard, the same noise can be heard.

I have emptied everything that is in the pocket on the driver's door,but that did not help.... the noise is still there.

I even considered booking the car in, and asking them to disassemble the door and get rid of whatever it is that is sliding in there.... the sound really seems like something is sliding inside the driver's door, but there is no way anything can get in there.

Maybe I also dropped a coin and it is trapped in the air duct under my seat. I will examine the car carefully today.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
rascal
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW

Coins under the Seat

Hi,

I have just experienced the same problem with the E90. I dropped some coins at the side of the passenger seat and its slipped right under the Panel (in between the floor board and the seat). There is this plastic cover with about 6 screws on it. I tried removing the plate, but the screws are just too tight.

"Tickling coins" sound emerged each time I hard brake or take corners.

I noticed some of you mentioned you managed to remove the items by using a chopstick - can you advise me from where we will be able to reach the coins ?

Desperate to get rid of the noise...any help / picture will be great.

Thanks
Rascal
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
AK47
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 JET BLACK 330

Doesn't have to be chopstick, anything that is long, and skinny enough to go inside the plastic duct under your driver seat to search around with coins. I hope that help. Flashlight will be helpful. The Duct is like pretty flush with the carpet, you will see it when you look under and BEHIND the seat.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2006, 05:56 AM   #12
rascal
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW

Coins inside Speaker below seat

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and help. But I realised that the coins did not go into the air duct. In fact, it managed to slip into the speaker compartment that is found below the seat.

Has anyone tried to remove the speaker cover without removing the seat ? I am having difficulty using a screwdriver as the screws seems to be with a different + requirement. I am worried of destroying the screw thread at the top, then I will be in big trouble if the screws cannot be turned properly.

I manage to take a picture of the cover from the other forums, please let me know if anyone out there has managed to remove the cover without the seats. If so, what type of screwdriver should I be using.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: doc cover.doc (117.5 KB, 730 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
TML BMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford

Ok guys, I know this is an old thread, but I am having the exact same problem in my new coupe. I looked under the seat but could not find any vent of any kind, but the sound is exactly the same to what you are all describing. The only thing I see is a speaker cover, but i dont think anything could fall into it. I have the noise what souinds like either in the door or under my seat. It is driving me CRAAAZYY.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #14
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for this thread. Only a few days into driving my M3, I noticed this noise. It was driving me crazy. Searched for "sliding noise" and this great thread shows up.

Looked under the driver seat with the BMW flashlight and saw 3 coins in my vent. Strange how the only 3 coins under my seat managed to find their way into the vent. Found a long rod I could use and scraped out the coins. Now I'm 16 cents richer and driving happier.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
Orangeman5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i j. black

This forum saves the day again!

I too experienced this annoying sliding sound. The car was due for a service and I asked my SA to take the kick panel and under-dash cover off convinced that the problem was there. My SA called me and told me that the tech couldn't find anything. (No charge for the tech time since my SA is a real professional).

Anyway, I was left to resolve the problem myself. My first stop . . . this forum. A search for sliding noise proved I was not alone. Thanks to the members of this forum an annoying problem was solved in about 60 seconds. By the way, I am now .37 cents closer to retirement!

Thanks to all on the forum and particularly this thread!

"Drive fast, take chances."
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #16
btinl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F32, '14 F25

Noticed this same sliding noise today, and it was driving me nuts. Found $1.25 in quarters in this damn vent. What a stupid design.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
merkus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Great thread. I have a new to me 328i that I bought on Friday. Sliding noise in the dash began yesterday and has been driving me crazy and had me worried I had bought a problem car. I searched for "sliding noise" and found this, relieving my paranoia, avoiding a trip to the dealer, and enabling me to blame it all on a single penny rattling around in the air duct. Seems that BMW could have designed this a little better. . .
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #18
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

I know this is an old thread but i came across it while searching for "sliding noise"!

And turns out i had 20 cents in the vent under the drivers seat.

A hint to anyone else with this problem - I used an old windscreen wiper to reach the coin. The rubber bit of the wiper 'grabbed' the coin nicely and dragged it right out!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #19
Orangee94
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55 DCT 2013

Going to bump this thread as i also found 1 dollar in that and it solved my bloody sliding sound mystery hollyyy SH*T that bugged me to death so much..
      05-29-2017, 12:06 AM   #20
hr2pilot
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Man, am I glad I googled 'sliding noise in BMW E92' and found this thread.

That sliding noise was driving me nuts! ...for the life of me, I couldn't find the source!

First I removed the back panel on the drivers seat thinking something was loose inside the seat...then I removed the back seats thinking something under the rear bench...then the trunk liners to look at the upper rear shock mounts...nothing! So discouraged...thinking I'm going to have to go to the dealer and pay mucho bucks for a new rear end.

Then I searched and found this thread. WOOOOHOOO....I used my Milwaukee Inspection tool to look inside of the underseat vent and LOW AND BEHOLD....my long lost spark plug socket that disappeared some time around when the shuffling started!! ...it's been shuffling left and right , forward and back for months! Can you beleive it? It had to have entered those small vents perfectly like a heat seeking missile entering Bin Laden's window to get into there.

Praise be google and forums like this!
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #21
nwrightau
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr2pilot View Post
Man, am I glad I googled 'sliding noise in BMW E92' and found this thread.

Praise be google and forums like this!
Spot on, so far I've retrieved $6 in coins and there's more where that came from!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 01:32 AM   #22
chanzs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

Fantastic post!!! I was going crazy and about to remove my door panel or dash. End up finding a coin each under both front seats!
Appreciate 0