E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Installing KW Street comfort next week....what else is suggested?

10-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
troy2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i m sport

Installing KW Street comfort next week....what else is suggested?

I have read over quite a few suspension topics on here but nothing seems quite clear. While im under the car next week are there any suggested bushing replacements or anything that is a "might as well since your there" suggestion? This is my daily and I want a comfortable ride with maybe a little less body roll (Im assuming the KW Street will do a good enough job of this). I have a 2010 E90 LCI M Sport so are all the basic upgraded components already in place as far as stiffer bushings and such?. Thanks in advance guys im new to the E90 world so still learning.

Also im not looking at getting so in depth that I find myself replacing control arms and other components. I'm just curious if there are any odds and ends to tie up while doing this, again thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

bushings are a little more involved than just swapping parts. you need a press to get them out and put in the new ones. it's easier just to buy new control arms that have bushings in them.

since your car is a 2010, you shouldn't need to replace bushings or control arms (at least due to wear). But if you are really looking for more front camber, then you can install M3 control arms if you wish. but since you want a "comfortable" daily driver, you may not want to do the stiffer bushings.

Don't upgrade something unless you completely understand what it is going to do. IMO, if you are really not sure what you want, just keep it factory for now and only install the coilovers. That in itself is a significant change to the car, and you'll probably be satisfied.

be sure to get an alignment a few days after the install.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I agree with mike-y, especially since your car is still relatively new.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
troy2003
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
bushings are a little more involved than just swapping parts. you need a press to get them out and put in the new ones. it's easier just to buy new control arms that have bushings in them.

since your car is a 2010, you shouldn't need to replace bushings or control arms (at least due to wear). But if you are really looking for more front camber, then you can install M3 control arms if you wish. but since you want a "comfortable" daily driver, you may not want to do the stiffer bushings.

Don't upgrade something unless you completely understand what it is going to do. IMO, if you are really not sure what you want, just keep it factory for now and only install the coilovers. That in itself is a significant change to the car, and you'll probably be satisfied.

be sure to get an alignment a few days after the install.
Sounds like a good plan, I appreciate the heads up fellas and thanks for the input. Maybe upgrade control arms a few years down the road but for now ill enjoy the current setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
If you track, you could think about swapping in some stainless steel brake lines while you are at it since you will already have it all apart anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

How many miles on your car Troy?
I'd consider new rear shocks mounts and strut top mounts. Remove the alignment pins from the strut mounts for added neg camber up front when you get an alignment.
      10-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
How many miles on your car Troy?
I'd consider new rear shocks mounts and strut top mounts. Remove the alignment pins from the strut mounts for added neg camber up front when you get an alignment.
I got this kit from turner just to make sure everything was fresh when I did my bmw PS install:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...uspension.aspx

My car had 44,xxx miles and most of my mounts were still in pretty good shape, I just wanted to make sure everything was fresh. One more thing that caused me a bit of trouble is that you need a special socket (probably with KW also) such as this one:

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exe...arch_model/166
in order to properly tourque the strut to top hat nut; you can use in impact wrench but then you can't tourque it properly and I think mine is binding a bit due to overtightening. I'm actually going to make a socket like that one by cutting with a angle grinder and go back and loosen mine and then re-tourque properly. Also here's a good video to check out before and during your install:

It took me and my mechanic friend (he did most of the work) 13 hrs to do front and rear and sway bar and new sway bar links which you might want to consider also, mine were starting to degrade somewhat

Also I would check the size of that strut top nut before you order or make a socket for it, the one above is 22mm but I thought mine was 21mm.....i will be checking it later tonight though. Also the bentley manual advised to use new self locking nuts on a lot of stuff and the turner kit comes with a lot of them. You might want to make sure that kit would work with KW coils though......I did the BMW Performance Suspension kit which fit like stock stuff

Last edited by nikitino25; 10-18-2013 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
troy2003
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
I got this kit from turner just to make sure everything was fresh when I did my bmw PS install:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...uspension.aspx

My car had 44,xxx miles and most of my mounts were still in pretty good shape, I just wanted to make sure everything was fresh. One more thing that caused me a bit of trouble is that you need a special socket (probably with KW also) such as this one:

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exe...arch_model/166
in order to properly tourque the strut to top hat nut; you can use in impact wrench but then you can't tourque it properly and I think mine is binding a bit due to overtightening. I'm actually going to make a socket like that one by cutting with a angle grinder and go back and loosen mine and then re-tourque properly. Also here's a good video to check out before and during your install:

It took me and my mechanic friend (he did most of the work) 13 hrs to do front and rear and sway bar and new sway bar links which you might want to consider also, mine were starting to degrade somewhat

Also I would check the size of that strut top nut before you order or make a socket for it, the one above is 22mm but I thought mine was 21mm.....i will be checking it later tonight though. Also the bentley manual advised to use new self locking nuts on a lot of stuff and the turner kit comes with a lot of them. You might want to make sure that kit would work with KW coils though......I did the BMW Performance Suspension kit which fit like stock stuff
Dude, what a helpful post!!!!. Thank you so much, so seems I'll be making my own spreader tool from a hex tool ($30 my ass,highway robbery son lol). Although I don't see a way around the strut bolt socket purchase since I don't have an angle grinder. Pretty straight forward and a huge help brotha!!! (bromance )

FYI 47k miles on the car.
Appreciate 0