E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Pad Options for E90 / Street and Track

06-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Brake Pad Options for E90 / Street and Track

What is everyone using for aftermarket pads? What race pads are working the best. Need to buy a set soon and haven't yet done the research. Porterfield can always make a pad based on the stock pad mold. The R4E has proven to be a great long lasting track pad for me in the past. I also used the Pagid Blacks with great success. Doesn't seem like a lot of options at this time.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I was talking to Eric @ Supreme Power about this...he is working on something low dust... I like pagid orange for track..but may be jumping to Pagid blacks (I had these with my Stoptechs on my past car..not on my 335i)

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

no one makes the 'proper' design for the 335i yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
sg335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I was talking to Eric @ Supreme Power about this...he is working on something low dust... I like pagid orange for track..but may be jumping to Pagid blacks (I had these with my Stoptechs on my past car..not on my 335i)
I also ran Pagid Orange in the beginning on my other car with a full front and rear StopTech kit. I quickly moved to Blacks which offered better feel and handled the excessive heat for extended periods of time. We would run the car up to five hours a day. I hope Pagid will make either pad. Keep us posted as to what Eric can do.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
I also ran Pagid Orange in the beginning on my other car with a full front and rear StopTech kit. I quickly moved to Blacks which offered better feel and handled the excessive heat for extended periods of time. We would run the car up to five hours a day. I hope Pagid will make either pad. Keep us posted as to what Eric can do.
My friend's dad owns Brakeparts Warehouse in SoCal. He said if we give him the backing plates..he can put whatever compound we want on them.

http://www.brakeco.com/

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
sg335
Captain
Rep

His web site says nothing I can find about custom pads. Looks like he is a reseller of several name brands. I will call Porterfield when I get a chance. You want to call Pagid?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:55 PM   #7
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah..I talked to his son..he said his dad doesnt do manufacturing..just a reseller. I swear I talked to him about 3 years ago and he said if you give him the backing plates..they could put whatever you want on them. I guess he doesnt do that anymore. Yeah..I can call Pagid. Porterfield is in SoCal right..where is Pagid again? I have called Porterfield before.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #8
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

We Need brake pads, SS lines and slotted rotors.......

HURRY boys...... get someone to pony up.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
sg335
Captain
Rep

Called Pagid today. Nothing for the car yet. Don't know when. Spoke to Porterfield today. I am sending them stock pads for templet production and manufacturing of the R4E endurance pad which will perform better on the car for extended high temp track days. The integrated clips on the pads concern me in that any manufacturer needs to procure these in order to make the pad work with the car. Stay tuned...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I couldnt find Pagid's number in the US..thanks for calling them...Porterfield is gonna charge an arm and a leg for these..I once had them do Hawk Blues on my old 2000 Audi S4 stock backing plates...

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #11
sg335
Captain
Rep

Just got my custom race pads today! The guys at Porterfield worked with me to make pads for the E90. I ordered the Raybestos ST43 for the front and the Porterfield R4E for the rear. They can make any Raybestos or Porterfield compound as well as all Hawk. They can also do PF01 and PF97 compounds. No clips are provided for either the front or rear so expect some noise from any of these race pads. Price is competitive with all other race pads. Will let you know how they are once installed. Waiting for a track day. Oct 2nd at Laguna maybe or when is that Thunderhill event? Too hot for Willow Springs right now. But I did just get back from Moran Raceway for some endurance Karting in 103 degree weather. What a great track. We should all arrange for a meet there. Great fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
Just got my custom race pads today! The guys at Porterfield worked with me to make pads for the E90. I ordered the Raybestos ST43 for the front and the Porterfield R4E for the rear. They can make any Raybestos or Porterfield compound as well as all Hawk. They can also do PF01 and PF97 compounds. No clips are provided for either the front or rear so expect some noise from any of these race pads. Price is competitive with all other race pads. Will let you know how they are once installed. Waiting for a track day. Oct 2nd at Laguna maybe or when is that Thunderhill event? Too hot for Willow Springs right now. But I did just get back from Moran Raceway for some endurance Karting in 103 degree weather. What a great track. We should all arrange for a meet there. Great fun.
Ew...cool...who did you talk to at Porterfield? Did you have to give them backing plates..or do they already stock something?

Here is the Thunderhill schedule...lots of options there..including a BMW club one in August (August = HOT)

http://www.thunderhill.com/html/get_...ill_at_the.HTM

I might start teaching for Hooked on Driving...I am probably doing the Audi Club event at Sears in October...since it is their annual NATIONAL event. If I get my wheel/tire issue resolved..I will definitely be hitting the track at select locations...probably only for one day events (other than that one Sears event witht he Audi club)

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
sg335
Captain
Rep

You can talk to Tim. The front part number is AP918 and the rear part number is AP1170. These part numbers represent shape and are used regardless of compound or manufacturer. In order to fit our car, they modify an existing plate/pad from previous generation BMW's to conform to the specific shape of the ears for our car's plate/pads. I provided a new set of E90 front and rear pad sets.
Appreciate 0