E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N57 motor after timing chain failure. Metal in oil filter

01-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
propogandapand4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e91

N57 motor after timing chain failure. Metal in oil filter

Hello, recently i bought bmw 330d with a 180kw n57 motor. The seller told that lot of parts were changed and motor works fine now. I drove it for about 300km, everything works smoothly, no sounds and etc. and decided to check filters oil and do basic maintenance. So i took off oil filter and i found lots of small dust like metal parts in filter and its housing. I contacted seller and he called his mechanic and said that its imposible to wash everything completely and there may be some metal from the chain failure accident in filter. So shuold i put another oil filter drive for a while and check it again or its deal done in this situation?
Is it possible that all these metal parts were from previous brakedown or its more likely that these are newly made up and something is wrong with motor?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
niteshadesc2
Rank Novice BMW owner.
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi w/ CIC 6spd Manual

On the cheap:
I'd do a complete oil drain, removal of oil pan, with a cleanout. Re-installation should include a drain plug with an affixed magnet, and maybe even a spare rare earth magnet stuck (externally) to the bottom of the oil pan as well. Regular (and I mean like every 1000km/600m) oil changes until the oil filter is showing clean.

My biggest concern is particles clogging up oil pathways. Further, and you are right to be concerned about any particles originating from worn bearings (from steel particles wearing on the bearing material).
Perhaps take an oil sample, and send it off for analysis to see if there is any copper in it?

On the expensive: Engine rebuild.

As an aside, perhaps have the previous owner cough up some receipts for work done?

Niteshade
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:09 AM   #3
propogandapand4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e91

Yea owner bought a car with chain failure and has all receipts for bought parts and etc. He showed me everything he bought, also he showed some photos of pistons, and other parts that his mechanic took out to make sure they are ok. Iam concerned if those metal particles were old ones or they are newly made up. If they are i guess something was done wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
niteshadesc2
Rank Novice BMW owner.
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi w/ CIC 6spd Manual

I think my comments above still stand. An Oil pan cleanout is crucial in removing/capturing any large particles that could clog up any oil pathways (especially those leading to bearings).
Niteshade
Appreciate 0