E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #2707
marconi118
Major
69
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 06/07 e93 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: europe

iTrader: (0)

Here the picture of the mod



Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #2708
marconi118
Major
69
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 06/07 e93 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: europe

iTrader: (0)

to see full size go to http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?i...img4515vl6.jpg
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #2709
Christos
Lieutenant
Christos's Avatar
28
Rep
524
Posts

Drives: 2014 428i Msport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
What are we looking at and what is this mod?
__________________
2014 428i Msport Delivered
Previously owned 2011 Audi S4, 2008 335i Coupe, 2007 328xi sedan, 2005 G35, 2002 325i sedan, 2000 Audi A4, 1998 Audi A4, 1996 318ti (loved this little car)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #2710
marconi118
Major
69
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: 06/07 e93 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: europe

iTrader: (0)

Hi
I have e93 2007 pre 29.2 335i but upgraded with last firmware... so now turbo lag

Here in europe as well no way to have an hardware solution and back to old firmware.

But i did a little modification to reduce the turbo lag:

Simply bypass the left (the most close to rear of car) boost control solenoid by simply disconnecting the small pipes and connecting them together.
This mod is reversible and invisible. It will close partially the wasgates at idle...
No failure codes, running this since 2 weeks now.

Try and let me know....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:04 AM   #2711
**335i**
Colonel
**335i**'s Avatar
Switzerland
153
Rep
2,320
Posts

Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Swiss

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
dont think its gona work
__________________
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #2712
Railgunner
Private First Class
9
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: '08 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof3ssor View Post
Are you serious? Think what through? This is my first and last BMW also. Have you read anything on this topic? Your first sentence says it all by stating the car is "neutered." Maybe you are comfortable with purchasing a 50k car and having BMW change the characteristics and then continually lie to you that it is running the same as when you first bought it. Sorry to everyone else for going OT but I just can not stand idiotic posts like these.
I agree... I'm done with BMW. My '08 335i was my first and will be my last.

Looking hard at Audi right now.
__________________
'08 335i Sedan Jet Blk * Beige Dakota * Prem * Sport Pack * OEM CF Splitters * OEM Black Rods * Matt Black Grill * Blacklines * SSTT * M-tech Steering Wheel * MSDS Intake
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #2713
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
RBBMWE46M3's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: THE REGION

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgunner View Post
I agree... I'm done with BMW. My '08 335i was my first and will be my last.

Looking hard at Audi right now.

+1
__________________
BMW ENGINEERS
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #2714
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Prof3ssor's Avatar
4
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I wish I could unload my 335i as I checked out the S5 over the weekend and really like the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #2715
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

And here comes the 3 series performance model ... how about we get our old pre-virus 29.2 performance BACK !

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-perf...ase-video.html
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #2716
bluescoupe
motorhead
bluescoupe's Avatar
37
Rep
448
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: west coast, FL

iTrader: (0)

Just got 31.1.1. Replaced 27.2.
Now torque power comes on about 2500-3000 rpm. No more raw pull from 1500 rpm.
That's frustrating.
I'm trying to be patient, and also to think of a way they will fix this.
I will contact BMW next week to explain the changes in my car and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #2717
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Prof3ssor's Avatar
4
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescoupe View Post
Just got 31.1.1. Replaced 27.2.
Now torque power comes on about 2500-3000 rpm. No more raw pull from 1500 rpm.
That's frustrating.
I'm trying to be patient, and also to think of a way they will fix this.
I will contact BMW next week to explain the changes in my car and see what they say.
Were you aware of this issue and thread topic before you brought your car in for service? I am just wondering why you upgraded?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #2718
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
RBBMWE46M3's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: THE REGION

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobu View Post
And here comes the 3 series performance model ... how about we get our old pre-virus 29.2 performance BACK !

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-perf...ase-video.html
this car will only cost $63,000
__________________
BMW ENGINEERS
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #2719
jhbodle
Captain
jhbodle's Avatar
89
Rep
852
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescoupe View Post
Just got 31.1.1. Replaced 27.2.
Now torque power comes on about 2500-3000 rpm. No more raw pull from 1500 rpm.
That's frustrating.
I'm trying to be patient, and also to think of a way they will fix this.
I will contact BMW next week to explain the changes in my car and see what they say.
It's odd how the Europe version of the software comes with a new DME update but the US version doesn't. My car has just been upgraded from v27.2 to 31.1.0 - there was no lag before I took it in, and no lag now thank goodness. Didn't fix my transmission issue I was having, but it looks like I dodged a bullet...
__________________
F90 M5 (Marina Bay Blue, M Performance Parts)
Previous: F82 M4 / F20 125d M / E92 335i M Ind / E90 325i SE / E46 318i SE / E36 316i
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #2720
meyergru
No military grade
meyergru's Avatar
Germany
39
Rep
600
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
My car has just been upgraded from v27.2 to 31.1.0 - there was no lag before I took it in, and no lag now thank goodness.
I really wonder how you managed to go from v27.2 to v31.1. Here you say on 08-13-2008 that you just traded in your 325i for a new 335i. If it was new, it should have had Progman with at least v29.2 right from the start.

And if that is the case, you can imagine the question that follows next: "Have you ever driven a pre-v29.2 car to be so sure you don't have the Lag (tm) or are you just happy to be better off than with the previous 325i?"

No offense intended, just asking. Nice ride, BTW.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #2721
imoksoami
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
I really wonder how you managed to go from v27.2 to v31.1. Here you say on 08-13-2008 that you just traded in your 325i for a new 335i. If it was new, it should have had Progman with at least v29.2 right from the start.

And if that is the case, you can imagine the question that follows next: "Have you ever driven a pre-v29.2 car to be so sure you don't have the Lag (tm) or are you just happy to be better off than with the previous 325i?"

No offense intended, just asking. Nice ride, BTW.
Bingo
__________________
'08 335i Coupe - Sparkling Graphite Metallic/Cream Beige Dakota Leather/ Sport Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Comfort Pkg/ Cold Weather Pkg/ JB3
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #2722
bluescoupe
motorhead
bluescoupe's Avatar
37
Rep
448
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: west coast, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof3ssor View Post
Were you aware of this issue and thread topic before you brought your car in for service? I am just wondering why you upgraded?
I didn't "upgrade".
Had no choice. Note my earlier post.
Due to a taillight lens leak, I had an amplifier/TCU unit replaced, so whole car had to be reprogrammed. Just luck I guess. Not my idea.
I thought I might escape this.
Now the car is slower to respond. I almost got runover twice based on past performance expectations.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #2723
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Prof3ssor's Avatar
4
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescoupe View Post
I didn't "upgrade".
Had no choice. Note my earlier post.
Due to a taillight lens leak, I had an amplifier/TCU unit replaced, so whole car had to be reprogrammed. Just luck I guess. Not my idea.
I thought I might escape this.
Now the car is slower to respond. I almost got runover twice based on past performance expectations.
Sorry to hear that as most of us know how you feel. I am just trying to gather as much info as I can on 31.1.1 as my SM wants me to come in to get updated and I thought from some of the posts that I have read there "might" be a chance that the lag was addressed. I should have know better.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #2724
bluescoupe
motorhead
bluescoupe's Avatar
37
Rep
448
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: west coast, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof3ssor View Post
Sorry to hear that as most of us know how you feel. I am just trying to gather as much info as I can on 31.1.1 as my SM wants me to come in to get updated and I thought from some of the posts that I have read there "might" be a chance that the lag was addressed. I should have know better.
I can try to make you feel a little better.
Based on what I've read here, the lag is not so stilted, or pronounced. It is more gradual than suggested in previous versions (that I have not experienced).
But let me be clear. It is a very definite change. It removes about 1K rpm power band, from the bottom, from your car.
guess I didn't make you feel too much better after all...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #2725
meyergru
No military grade
meyergru's Avatar
Germany
39
Rep
600
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

German car magazine Autobild investigated...

Today, there was an article in the german car mag "Autobild". Sorry, no link.

BMW has admitted that they changed v29.2 in order to reduce wastegate rattle. O.K., this was a know fact. They state that the induced delay (aka "Lag (tm)") is ~150ms, which "For sure, no customer will notice.". Boy, were they wrong.

Furthermore, they say that cars from MY08 (Build dates from 09/07 on) have different turbos and wastegates which will not develop have those problems.

MSD81 cars (from build dates 03/08 on) do have a different software than MDS80 ones which does not require those changes (because they always have new turbos) and thus have no delay. Autobild has measured and verified that for an MSD81 car, although (this is info from the reporter himself and not in the article) maximum torque came only from 1700 RPM and he said he had expected more initial thrust. Everything else (i.e. power, elasticity and acceleration figures) was just as it was with the car they measured back in 2006.

BMW plans to bring out a downgrade software for MSD80 cars which fixes the Lag but can cause wastegate rattling again for cars with old turbos (i.e. before 09/07). I don't know if these will be replaced if this happens - maybe they hope the problem develops after end of warranty.

I am lucky enough to have a MY08 09/07 build date and will downgrade as soon as possible after release of the software.

Last edited by meyergru; 11-14-2008 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #2726
**335i**
Colonel
**335i**'s Avatar
Switzerland
153
Rep
2,320
Posts

Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Swiss

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
well i have 29.1.1 not going to update it, like some of u in here
__________________
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #2727
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Prof3ssor's Avatar
4
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Today, there was an article in the german car mag "Autobild". Sorry, no link.

BMW has admitted that they changed v29.2 in order to reduce wastegate rattle. O.K., this was a know fact. They state that the induced delay (aka "Lag (tm)") is ~150ms, which "For sure, no customer will notice.". Boy, were they wrong.

Furthermore, they say that cars from MY08 (Build dates from 09/07 on) have different turbos and wastegates which will not develop have those problems.

MSD81 cars (from build dates 03/08 on) do have a different software than MDS80 ones which does not require those changes (because they always have new turbos) and thus have no delay. Autobild has measured and verified that for an MSD81 car, although (this is info from the reporter himself and not in the article) maximum torque came only from 1700 RPM and he said he had expected more initial thrust. Everything else (i.e. power, elasticity and acceleration figures) was just as it was with the car they measured back in 2006.

BMW plans to bring out a downgrade software for MSD80 cars which fixes the Lag but can cause wastegate rattling again for cars with old turbos (i.e. before 09/07). I don't know if these will be replaced if this happens - maybe they hope the problem develops after end of warranty.

I am lucky enough to have a MY08 09/07 build date and will downgrade as soon as possible after release of the software.
Great stuff. If you can somehow find a link to this as I would LOVE to forward this to my team of "experts" looking out for me at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #2728
clivem2
Major
United Kingdom
210
Rep
1,434
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Today, there was an article in the german car mag "Autobild". Sorry, no link.

BMW has admitted that they changed v29.2 in order to reduce wastegate rattle. O.K., this was a know fact. They state that the induced delay (aka "Lag (tm)") is ~150ms, which "For sure, no customer will notice.". Boy, were they wrong.

Furthermore, they say that cars from MY08 (Build dates from 09/07 on) have different turbos and wastegates which will not develop have those problems.

MSD81 cars (from build dates 03/08 on) do have a different software than MDS80 ones which does not require those changes (because they always have new turbos) and thus have no delay. Autobild has measured and verified that for an MSD81 car, although (this is info from the reporter himself and not in the article) maximum torque came only from 1700 RPM and he said he had expected more initial thrust. Everything else (i.e. power, elasticity and acceleration figures) was just as it was with the car they measured back in 2006.

BMW plans to bring out a downgrade software for MSD80 cars which fixes the Lag but can cause wastegate rattling again for cars with old turbos (i.e. before 09/07). I don't know if these will be replaced if this happens - maybe they hope the problem develops after end of warranty.

I am lucky enough to have a MY08 09/07 build date and will downgrade as soon as possible after release of the software.
So MY08 cars don't need the wastegate management changes of 29.2, so will they reverse these changes?.....

I guess I know the answer.....
__________________
Current: G01 M40i Silver / Tartufo
Previous: E30 318iS, E39 520i, 523i, 523i, E46 335i vert, F25 30D, F25 35D
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST