E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > REAR wheel bearing shot??

05-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i 6MT

REAR wheel bearing shot??

Hey guys, so I have a bad vibrations in my steering and cabin while cruising.

I've done the typical stuff. Control arms, Tie rods, Allignment, wheel balance x2, road force balance, tried different set of tires/rims.. Vibrations won't go away at ALL speeds even at 20 km/h cruising down the road you can feel them..

So I checked my front wheel bearings, posted a thread on the video clip for those but they seemed smooth when I spun the wheels while the car was in the air...

Today I checked the rear wheel bearings. The passenger side rear wheel bearing is smooth and quiet and requires little effort to get the wheel to spin.. However the left wheel bearing is squeeky and requires considerable amount of more force than the other side to spin the wheel..

Here's a video clip of the sound I can produce as the car is in park and in the air (BTW, i hear this sound cruising around in parking lots at low speeds), ALSO, my ABS light for rear brakes is on..

Is my driver side rear wheel bearing shot? Could this be the cause to my vibrations?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus313 View Post
Hey guys, so I have a bad vibrations in my steering and cabin while cruising.

I've done the typical stuff. Control arms, Tie rods, Allignment, wheel balance x2, road force balance, tried different set of tires/rims.. Vibrations won't go away at ALL speeds even at 20 km/h cruising down the road you can feel them..

So I checked my front wheel bearings, posted a thread on the video clip for those but they seemed smooth when I spun the wheels while the car was in the air...

Today I checked the rear wheel bearings. The passenger side rear wheel bearing is smooth and quiet and requires little effort to get the wheel to spin.. However the left wheel bearing is squeeky and requires considerable amount of more force than the other side to spin the wheel..

Here's a video clip of the sound I can produce as the car is in park and in the air (BTW, i hear this sound cruising around in parking lots at low speeds), ALSO, my ABS light for rear brakes is on..

Is my driver side rear wheel bearing shot? Could this be the cause to my vibrations?
I would say so. Yes. The rear wheel bearings can be a PITA, if you live in a state that uses salt on the roads in the winter or a "rust belt" state in the Mid-West.

There are several different tools and methods of getting them out and putting new ones back in.

There is a DIY on this forum and a few on YouTube.

I'd replace them in pairs
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I would say so. Yes. The rear wheel bearings can be a PITA, if you live in a state that uses salt on the roads in the winter or a "rust belt" state in the Mid-West.

There are several different tools and methods of getting them out and putting new ones back in.

Ahhh shit, I just got the front ones in the mail.. There's alot of salt here in toronto.

Any other inputs??
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

Ahhh shit, I just got the front ones in the mail.. There's alot of salt here in toronto.

Any other inputs??
You'll need a 36mm socket, Kroil oil & a torch with yellow gas.

Do your homework & pick which method you choose to get them in & out wisely

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839854
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

This job was a nightmare. My 06 car spent 2006-09 in the NE, but 2009-2017 in VA. Even after sitting in liquid wrench for a week, blow torch, 20-ton press, the axle would NOT coming out. I ended up buying used parts from a junkyard and had a machine shop replace the bearing on the used part.
      05-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
mecheng77
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i JBlk

How many Km do you have on your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
How many Km do you have on your car?
132K kms
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Guys are you sure it's my wheel bearings my mechanic says that wheel bearings don't squeek?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
United_States
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
It could be a stuck parking brake, but it would've worn itself down by now...

I'd say your wheel bearing is destroyed, and in the process took out your wheel speed sensor which would explain the ABS light.

The job isn't too bad with the right tools (165k-mile 128i that spent 159k in Maryland)...
      05-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
Wolf 335
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

That noise is not bearing.

1. When you were doing that was your parking brake engaged?
If yes, then disengage your parking brake and test again. If noise is not there then this is a common issue where the brake shoe rubs on the dust plate.
If no, then proceed to step two below.

2. When you open the trunk and push down on the cross bar where the latch is, does the car make the same noise?
If yes, then your rear ball joint is gone. Another well common issue.
If no, proceed to step three below

3. Remove rotor, and inspect parking brake shoes.
I just took mine off yesterday and the friction material was completely descenigrated into chucks causing excessive squealing noise while driving.
If parking brake shoes are ok, raise car off ground and start the car and let the wheels spin while you examine the noise and bearing as it spins.

So far this was all pertaining to the squealing noise. As for the vibrations that's a whole different thing.

You mentioned it is in the steering so likely it's pertaining to the front end.
You changed control arms, which ones? Control arm and thrust arm? Worn thrust arm bushings are a definite cause of steering wheel vibrations and shaking.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 05-10-2018 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
simon50.00

05-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
That noise is not bearing.

1. When you were doing that was your parking brake engaged?
If yes, then disengage your parking brake and test again. If noise is not there then this is a common issue where the brake shoe rubs on the dust plate.
If no, then proceed to step two below.

2. When you open the trunk and push down on the cross bar where the latch is, does the car make the same noise?
If yes, then your rear ball joint is gone. Another well common issue.
If no, proceed to step three below

3. Remove rotor, and inspect parking brake shoes.
I just took mine off yesterday and the friction material was completely descenigrated into chucks causing excessive squealing noise while driving.
If parking brake shoes are ok, raise car off ground and start the car and let the wheels spin while you examine the noise and bearing as it spins.

So far this was all pertaining to the squealing noise. As for the vibrations that's a whole different thing.

You mentioned it is in the steering so likely it's pertaining to the front end.
You changed control arms, which ones? Control arm and thrust arm? Worm thrust arm bushings are a definite cause of steering wheel vibrations and shaking.
1) it was disengaged
2) need to try this
3) I try to spin the rear wheel that's making the noise.. it's requires alot more force then the other side
4) yes the thrust arm was replaced.(upper/lower control arm). Upgraded to m3

PS not just the steering wheel vibrates. It's the entire car. Any speed you will feel it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
bennye90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

My rear wheel bearings gave a humming noise at certain speeds 60-120 km/h. There was no considerable wheel shake by hand but there was vibration in the cabin that would shake the rear view mirror and such.

I did 1 side through diy and considering the time and effort it took.. I did my other rear side at a shop. I went to BMWizard (in vaughan), very fair prices versus other shops/dealers. Bought the wheel bearing at GermanParts.ca (in North York)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennye90 View Post
My rear wheel bearings gave a humming noise at certain speeds 60-120 km/h. There was no considerable wheel shake by hand but there was vibration in the cabin that would shake the rear view mirror and such.

I did 1 side through diy and considering the time and effort it took.. I did my other rear side at a shop. I went to BMWizard (in vaughan), very fair prices versus other shops/dealers. Bought the wheel bearing at GermanParts.ca (in North York)
Yes I'm planning to go to bmwizard today!! Hopefully.. he's my mechanic aswell
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

I just listened and it doesn't sound like a wheel bearing... Maybe a bushing that's squeaking?

Jack that side up, turn off all traction control and let the wheel spin in drive. Take it out of gear and listen. If it's the wheel bearing, you'll hear a 'drone'.. Make absolutely sure all traction control is off by holding the button, otherwise the it'll brake the loose wheel and cause the wheel on the ground to want to spin.
      05-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #15
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

exactly what bennye90 said. In my case dealer was insisting it is diff and I was no it was bearing so I kept driving, noise increased. Independent mechanic wanted to test drive but didn't even leave the parking lot and he knew it is bearing. Doing it yourself you will need a day or 2 without proper tools, shop quoted me 4 hours of labor plus parts. In my case cause I kept driving at the end it cost me the speed/abs sensor, bearing and hub as mechanic did not wanted to take a chance and then wait for the hub to arrive as he new it might be damaged by now. See my pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
exactly what bennye90 said. In my case dealer was insisting it is diff and I was no it was bearing so I kept driving, noise increased. Independent mechanic wanted to test drive but didn't even leave the parking lot and he knew it is bearing. Doing it yourself you will need a day or 2 without proper tools, shop quoted me 4 hours of labor plus parts. In my case cause I kept driving at the end it cost me the speed/abs sensor, bearing and hub as mechanic did not wanted to take a chance and then wait for the hub to arrive as he new it might be damaged by now. See my pictures
Did you have the same sound as me?? In the video & symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #17
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Okay guys here's an update.. Took it to my mechanic.. He insists that my bearing is fine.. And the noise was just rust on the bearing itself.. He took out the axle and cleared the rust off and the noise has vanished...

BUT my vibrations still persist!!! He's saying my right two wheels are bent and that's the reason why but honestly... Still had severe vibrations on my winter set!

Also before purchasing these rims, I tested them on an e46 and they ran fine with no issues or vibrations but as soon as they go on my car *vibrations!*
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #18
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did you have the same sound as me?? In the video & symptoms?
did not have the squishy noise but that bang bang that you hear on the video few times I did few days before I had to change my bearing. Wheel should not move like it does on the video. Squishy noise could also come from your suspension in the back cause you are shaking the car, I have little of that when I raise the front of the vehicle with no load in the car.

now you also said that the rims came from the e46, are they compatible with your car???? maybe that is why you get so much vibration and loose. No experience in there but I would for sure confirm the compatibility as they might look ok but trust me, few milliliters of diameter change and you shake your ass like no one can
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #19
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
did not have the squishy noise but that bang bang that you hear on the video few times I did few days before I had to change my bearing. Wheel should not move like it does on the video. Squishy noise could also come from your suspension in the back cause you are shaking the car, I have little of that when I raise the front of the vehicle with no load in the car.

now you also said that the rims came from the e46, are they compatible with your car???? maybe that is why you get so much vibration and loose. No experience in there but I would for sure confirm the compatibility as they might look ok but trust me, few milliliters of diameter change and you shake your ass like no one can
Nahh, the e46 uses the same bolt pattern..

This is how I bought the rims:

Seller agree'd to let me take his car onto the highway with the same rims installed, if I felt vibrations I could back out of the deal..

I did that, No vibrations on his car.. It was absolutely smooth with the exact same rims.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:12 PM   #20
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nahh, the e46 uses the same bolt pattern..

This is how I bought the rims:

Seller agree'd to let me take his car onto the highway with the same rims installed, if I felt vibrations I could back out of the deal..

I did that, No vibrations on his car.. It was absolutely smooth with the exact same rims.
so another this is your tires but you said you had the same vibrations on your winter set right? if so then it must be the bearing. Your wheal should have 0 play when bolted properly. My wheel was moving left and right but again, you saw my bearing shape that is all what mechanic would waste his time and pickup off the floor for me so I see the damage, rest, well he just said broom was faster picking the other pieces
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #21
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

One more thing Nexus 313, maybe go out and get a second opinion from different shop, maybe look for one that will have more experience with bearings, not saying your mechanic does not but to be hones I had 3 places that could not pin point the issue, well first time I heard it I knew it is bearing, BMW insisted differential and 2 other shops just could not tell, so I kept driving then talk to my neighbor that runs trucking business and he took the car from me to his mechanic and 20 min later he was back with my car and insisted to lock it in the shop till parts arrive so for next week each time I came to work all I could do is look at her while having a smoke
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #22
Nexus313
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
One more thing Nexus 313, maybe go out and get a second opinion from different shop, maybe look for one that will have more experience with bearings, not saying your mechanic does not but to be hones I had 3 places that could not pin point the issue, well first time I heard it I knew it is bearing, BMW insisted differential and 2 other shops just could not tell, so I kept driving then talk to my neighbor that runs trucking business and he took the car from me to his mechanic and 20 min later he was back with my car and insisted to lock it in the shop till parts arrive so for next week each time I came to work all I could do is look at her while having a smoke
You're right ill check out another shop for a second opinion!
Appreciate 0