E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight Cover replace

11-27-2018, 12:03 AM   #45
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
my current set I wet sanded from 800 down to 2000 and then buffed with compound followed by clear film. haven't had any issues and look almost new with the exception of a few deep pits.

How long has it been since you've done this?

What kind of climate and exposure has the lens been in since you've done this?
(Garage your car during day? etc.)

Are the deep pits due to debris while driving?

Thanks!

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I've been driving with them for a few months now. No peeling on the clear wrap etc. I live in Southern California so it never gets too hott or too cold. Probably put about 3000 miles on them so far (These cars are too fun, I drive alot). Pits were probably from rocks and stuff getting kicked up from other cars and road construction. I power wash my car weekly also. Park outside in a covered area, which I hate because the lawn guys like to use their blower for all the debris and stuff. 30 to 40ft away is a dirt track for a school.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #46
yevg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi sedan

Quote:

Thanks!
I've been driving with them for a few months now. No peeling on the clear wrap etc. I live in Southern California so it never gets too hott or too cold. Probably put about 3000 miles on them so far (These cars are too fun, I drive alot). Pits were probably from rocks and stuff getting kicked up from other cars and road construction. I power wash my car weekly also. Park outside in a covered area, which I hate because the lawn guys like to use their blower for all the debris and stuff. 30 to 40ft away is a dirt track for a school.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. This is really important to know, because parking under cover should help a TON with sun exposure. Also, I would expect that a good polish would last a few months... keep us updated on the longevity of your solution.

Unfortunately for me, I do not have cover over my car besides some trees (and one can argue they do more damage than good), and live in New England where the weather is not very forgiving no matter the season.

The more I look at my lenses and the lenses of others, the more I realize that mine aren't in THAT terrible shape. Especially not enough for replacing with some aftermarket ebay part from China (If I had a crack or something, that would be a different story).

I think I will try to clay, then slightly sand the yellowing areas only (near the top, where the orange corner is on pre-lci), compound the whole lens, at this point I am hoping the lens still retains some of the original UV Coating where not sanded, and gets rid of a lot of contaminants, and provides the cleanest surface for new UV coating.

I am still deciding on the best reapplication of UV coating; still between some spray-on solution or a film solution.

After UV coating above is applied, I plan to polish.

To summarize the layers:

[Polish/Wax]
[New UV layer]
[Compound]
[Sanding/Claying]
[Headlight Lens]

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #47
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
I've been driving with them for a few months now. No peeling on the clear wrap etc. I live in Southern California so it never gets too hott or too cold. Probably put about 3000 miles on them so far (These cars are too fun, I drive alot). Pits were probably from rocks and stuff getting kicked up from other cars and road construction. I power wash my car weekly also. Park outside in a covered area, which I hate because the lawn guys like to use their blower for all the debris and stuff. 30 to 40ft away is a dirt track for a school.
Thanks. This is really important to know, because parking under cover should help a TON with sun exposure. Also, I would expect that a good polish would last a few months... keep us updated on the longevity of your solution.

Unfortunately for me, I do not have cover over my car besides some trees (and one can argue they do more damage than good), and live in New England where the weather is not very forgiving no matter the season.

The more I look at my lenses and the lenses of others, the more I realize that mine aren't in THAT terrible shape. Especially not enough for replacing with some aftermarket ebay part from China (If I had a crack or something, that would be a different story).

I think I will try to clay, then slightly sand the yellowing areas only (near the top, where the orange corner is on pre-lci), compound the whole lens, at this point I am hoping the lens still retains some of the original UV Coating where not sanded, and gets rid of a lot of contaminants, and provides the cleanest surface for new UV coating.

I am still deciding on the best reapplication of UV coating; still between some spray-on solution or a film solution.

To summarize the layers:

[Polish/Wax]
[New UV layer]
[Compound]
[Sanding/Claying]
[Headlight Lens]

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

To summarize the layers:

[Polish/Wax]
[New UV layer]
[Compound]
[Sanding/Claying]
[Headlight Lens]

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

the coating for UV I believe is on the inside of the light. and I don't see these yellowing really. my car unfortunately sits in the sun 40+ hours a week at work. I wouldn't worry about UV that much to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #48
Space335
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Has anybody tried these yet? They have both E90 and E92 headlight covers.

https://www.bavgruppedesign.com/prod...ght-lens-cover
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #49
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space335 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space335 View Post

those are for M3 if you need pre LCI for your 335, there is only one seller. on Amazon he has a store. if I can find the link I'll post it. but they are pricey, like $289.00 if I recall correctly. You can get the bi-xenon housings used for close to that sometimes on Offer Up and Craigslist. the one set I have were pitted pretty bad and slot of oxidation. 800 grit all the way to 5000 grit and a buff, took about 85 to 90% of the pits out and all the oxidation. then cover with some UV protective film. They have lasted 6+ months so far and still going good. I park outside, in direct sunlight at work and gone through this winter in socal good.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #50
Space335
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
those are for M3 if you need pre LCI for your 335, there is only one seller. on Amazon he has a store. if I can find the link I'll post it. but they are pricey, like $289.00 if I recall correctly. You can get the bi-xenon housings used for close to that sometimes on Offer Up and Craigslist. the one set I have were pitted pretty bad and slot of oxidation. 800 grit all the way to 5000 grit and a buff, took about 85 to 90% of the pits out and all the oxidation. then cover with some UV protective film. They have lasted 6+ months so far and still going good. I park outside, in direct sunlight at work and gone through this winter in socal good.
Even though the description says they are for 335i pre-lci? This is the description:

"You are looking at a pair of brand new E92 Pre LCI headlight covers. These will fit on Xenon lights, Model Year 2007-2010 coupes. 335i, 328i. Also fits 2008-2013 M3. These are OEM parts that ship directly from Germany to your door!"

I am not saying that you are wrong, but it does say in the description they would fit. I think I will try and contact them to make sure. If so, this is exactly what I need! Of course, they are on back order!
Appreciate 0