E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can I splice into existing microphone for aftermarket heardunit?

10-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #1
thereza
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Can I splice into existing microphone for aftermarket heardunit?

I just got the eonon Q65Pro for my 2007 E92 335i.

It comes with a shitty/ugly microphone -- I want to see if I can use the existing microphone in the car. I've not been able to figure out where the wire terminates for the mic, and if anyone has been able to use the existing microphone with an aftermarket headunit.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

the microphone is attached to the TCU or Mulf 2 hi in the early
model years. The following link may help.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452541
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 06:13 PM   #3
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I did. I spliced into the mic at the TCU connector in the trunk (since I was running a video cable for the reverse camera from trunk to head unit anyway). In my case the mic was at pins 1(+) 19(-) of the 54 pin connector. (see below).

It worked for a few months -- and then died. Bad OEM mic? Bad splice? Short/open in the wiring somewhere? who knows? Rather than trying to fix it, I installed a new mic from Amazon in the OEM location and ran the wire directly to the head unit down the A Pillar (where I located the GPS antenna). I used hot glue to attach the mic to the overhead console (inside the console).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TCU-----------------------Combox

Pin---Description-----------Pin---Description

1----Mic(pos)--------------25----Mic(pos)
4----AUX-GND-------------10----AUX-GND
15---Crash Sig.-------------7----Crash Sig.
17---30 Power+ 5A---------2----30 Power+ 5A
18---30 Power+ 10A--------1----30 Power+ 10A
19---MIC(neg)------------12-----MIC(neg)
21---MIC Shield-----------11-----MIC Shield
23---Shield---------------22-----Shield
31---SOS sig.f Button-----18-----SOS sig.f Button
33---Wakeup-------------15-----Wakeup
36---31 GROUND(neg)-----14----31 GROUND(neg)
37---emerg. Speak.(pos)--21----emerg. Speak.(pos)
38---emerg. Speak.(neg)--20----emerg. Speak.(neg)
50---emerg. butt LED-----17----emerg. butt LED
54---GROUND-
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 06:43 AM   #4
thereza
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
I did. I spliced into the mic at the TCU connector in the trunk (since I was running a video cable for the reverse camera from trunk to head unit anyway). In my case the mic was at pins 1(+) 19(-) of the 54 pin connector. (see below).

It worked for a few months -- and then died. Bad OEM mic? Bad splice? Short/open in the wiring somewhere? who knows? Rather than trying to fix it, I installed a new mic from Amazon in the OEM location and ran the wire directly to the head unit down the A Pillar (where I located the GPS antenna). I used hot glue to attach the mic to the overhead console (inside the console).
Thanks. That really helps. Seems I’m doing a similar install. Already routed the camera line - I’m a bit reluctant to route more wires. But it was also a huge pain opening up the a-Pilar. Not sure which is worse.

How was the sound quality with the own mic and the Amazon mic?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 08:44 AM   #5
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I found opening up the A-Pillar quite easy -- one screw and pull it off. I did wind up replacing one of the plastic clips as it broke as I used the palm of my hand to snap the A-Pillar back in place.

But this is the best place for the GPS antenna -- so it was coming off in any case.

Getting the overhead console out is a little trickier -- but remove the sunshade clips and you can stick your fingers under the headliner and push on the tab holding the console in.

As to mic quality -- I really can't say as I'm never on the other end of the phone. I haven't had any complaints.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:31 PM   #6
thereza
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
I found opening up the A-Pillar quite easy -- one screw and pull it off. I did wind up replacing one of the plastic clips as it broke as I used the palm of my hand to snap the A-Pillar back in place.

But this is the best place for the GPS antenna -- so it was coming off in any case.

Getting the overhead console out is a little trickier -- but remove the sunshade clips and you can stick your fingers under the headliner and push on the tab holding the console in.

As to mic quality -- I really can't say as I'm never on the other end of the phone. I haven't had any complaints.
It took me forever to get the a pillar back on. I couldn't find any videos on how to do it - I eventually used the TIS docs.

I put the GPS antenna on the front corner of the dash. Where is your GPS antenna? I routed a USB cable for a dashcam - and glad I removed the pillar trim to do so. I had previously routed power for my V1 and the cable had crossed over the airbag -- if it had gone off, it would have made the V1 into a projectile. I was able to zip tie it out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 05:28 PM   #7
k9fxr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 93

where on the head unit did you plug in the mic?

Is there a place on the wiring harness, and to confirm it was the head unit, not the back of the screen.

Newbie questions.
Thanks
Appreciate 0