E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 320d paranoia! (N47 timing belt failure)

12-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
mohsin125
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 2009 320d

E90 320d paranoia! (N47 timing belt failure)

Hi guys,

I have bought 2009 320d e90 m sports automatic with the n47 engine. I absolutely love the car. It has done 71k miles.

It was all nice and fun up until I read up on forums about the n47 timing belt failures and overall reputation of the engine! I am now having a massive mind f*** and need to make some decisions. After watching youtube videos I can confirm that with windows down I can hear the squeaky sound above 1500rpm!

Option 1: Get it fixed before it breaks the engine and keep the car
I am getting quotes for the timing belt replacement for £800. To be fair considering the price I paid for car, it wont be a very bad deal even with repair costs. I can justify it as long as it does not happen for another 35-40k miles. Do you think its worth it? I dont want to be biased because of internet comments as it is one sided view and majority of the people do not post it online when cars run fine.

Option 2: Return the car

I can still return the car to seller as it is a very recent buy. There are two issues though

A) the dealership is 3.5hrs away from me so I will have to invest a full day for it and then start finding cars again! Issue is I dont like mercs or audis in the budget i have and <70k mileage.

B) I bought the car for £6.4k and it was an amazing deal considering the normal market price for my needs is at least 7k. Therefore even if I return it and buy another car it will be £600 more expensive most likely!

Considering above facts I believe I will break even between both choices in terms of £££

It all comes down to whether these engines are a total disaster OR if you replace the timing belt in advance, there is a good chance the car will not give any major issues?

Option 3: Keep driving and using car despite slight noise

The danger with above is obvious. Full engine damage and possibly life danger if belt snaps on highway!

I do have 12m RAC warranty on the car, however because I am considering the above repair as a precautionary measure, I doubt they will cover it

Sorry for a massive story! But any advice will be superrrrr helpful

Thanks

Paranoid first time beama owner
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsin125 View Post
Hi guys,

I have bought 2009 320d e90 m sports automatic with the n47 engine. I absolutely love the car. It has done 71k miles.

It was all nice and fun up until I read up on forums about the n47 timing belt failures and overall reputation of the engine! I am now having a massive mind f*** and need to make some decisions. After watching youtube videos I can confirm that with windows down I can hear the squeaky sound above 1500rpm!

Option 1: Get it fixed before it breaks the engine and keep the car
I am getting quotes for the timing belt replacement for £800. To be fair considering the price I paid for car, it wont be a very bad deal even with repair costs. I can justify it as long as it does not happen for another 35-40k miles. Do you think its worth it? I dont want to be biased because of internet comments as it is one sided view and majority of the people do not post it online when cars run fine.

Option 2: Return the car

I can still return the car to seller as it is a very recent buy. There are two issues though

A) the dealership is 3.5hrs away from me so I will have to invest a full day for it and then start finding cars again! Issue is I dont like mercs or audis in the budget i have and <70k mileage.

B) I bought the car for £6.4k and it was an amazing deal considering the normal market price for my needs is at least 7k. Therefore even if I return it and buy another car it will be £600 more expensive most likely!

Considering above facts I believe I will break even between both choices in terms of £££

It all comes down to whether these engines are a total disaster OR if you replace the timing belt in advance, there is a good chance the car will not give any major issues?

Option 3: Keep driving and using car despite slight noise

The danger with above is obvious. Full engine damage and possibly life danger if belt snaps on highway!

I do have 12m RAC warranty on the car, however because I am considering the above repair as a precautionary measure, I doubt they will cover it

Sorry for a massive story! But any advice will be superrrrr helpful

Thanks

Paranoid first time beama owner
Return the car and get a car without a timing belt.
Appreciate 0