E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Alpine Hifi upgrade

06-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #1035
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlion View Post
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I recently got an E90 that already came with the Alpine Hifi upgrade. Every so often the passenger side mid-range speaker and tweeter intermittently switch off and don't emit any sound.

The speakers then randomly come back either by powering the car on and off, slamming the passenger door or going over bumps but not always.

Any idea on what it could be? Loose wiring? Amp?

Could this be fixed by a local independent rather than BMW?

When they are working it sounds awesome compared to the stock speakers I have had in the past.

Thanks.
Could be a faulty amp or a faulty speaker triggering the amp's protection and causing it to shut down.

I had a faulty coil in one of my subwoofer's and it would cause the amp to cut off whenever the sound dropped below a certain frequency.

Fixed it by replacing the subwoofer.

You should try disconnecting each speaker one by one to isolate the faulty one (if there is a faulty speaker).

Otherwise your amp might be bust!

But since you said it happens randomly, and driving over bumps sometimes helps. It could very well be loose wiring! Worthwhile to remove the door card and inspecting the wiring and also the connection from the subwoofer undearneath the seat flooring.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:36 AM   #1036
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I was going to purchase this kit for my car but BMW say it's not compatible. Looking further into it, it seems they're right as the car has ccc with dab. Apparently the dab module sits where the amp would go. Any thoughts? Not interested in dab so happy to remove it if that's my only option.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #1037
redlion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
Could be a faulty amp or a faulty speaker triggering the amp's protection and causing it to shut down.

I had a faulty coil in one of my subwoofer's and it would cause the amp to cut off whenever the sound dropped below a certain frequency.

Fixed it by replacing the subwoofer.

You should try disconnecting each speaker one by one to isolate the faulty one (if there is a faulty speaker).

Otherwise your amp might be bust!

But since you said it happens randomly, and driving over bumps sometimes helps. It could very well be loose wiring! Worthwhile to remove the door card and inspecting the wiring and also the connection from the subwoofer undearneath the seat flooring.

Sbm007 thanks for your reply. I will investigate this further. Over the past week it has been working fine and only gone off a few times and then come back suddenly. I am not very clued up on the audio side of things so may have to seek help from a local audio guy if the issue persists.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #1038
Kuroblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20b25 View Post
I was going to purchase this kit for my car but BMW say it's not compatible. Looking further into it, it seems they're right as the car has ccc with dab. Apparently the dab module sits where the amp would go. Any thoughts? Not interested in dab so happy to remove it if that's my only option.
I spoke to my dealer who suggested that it wasn't about the access/placement problem. Apparently the DAB uses a port that would otherwise be required or something? They seemed pretty genuine and keen to help - but no idea if this is the true issue without exploratory surgery as it were...

I do find it tricky to believe its simply about the location of the DAB module though, 20mins and a roll of velcro would sort that issue surely..?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #1039
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thanks mate, interesting thought. I did find a thread which said it was straight forward to move it and all worked perfectly.

May as well gamble and get it
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #1040
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20b25 View Post
Thanks mate, interesting thought. I did find a thread which said it was straight forward to move it and all worked perfectly.

May as well gamble and get it
There are no compatibility issues. Its finding a space to fit the amp.

If you can work out that, you will be good to go.
      07-14-2015, 02:11 AM   #1041
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
There are no compatibility issues. Its finding a space to fit the amp.

If you can work out that, you will be good to go.
Sam is correct on this as I have the alpine upgrade and DAB in my car. He did the install of the CIC upgrade too and DAB so it's deffo possible.
      07-31-2015, 07:56 PM   #1042
Heylel
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Touring (E91, MY11)

Anyone who has recently installed the -268 Alpine kit (the PnP kit) who can verify whether or not the tweeter cable part is still mis-labeled?

I will be installing this on a lefthand drive model E91 shortly - are there any issues regarding running cables I should know about? Some forum members have reported interference from power cables (though it seems that most people have no issues)

Cheers,

H.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #1043
nik89
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 330d xDrive

I have a pre 3/09 car. The Install Instructions says "This retrofit system does not require coding". Is this correct? I've finished installing and the sound is better than before.
The Hi-fi coding is possible to do also on a pre 3/09 car?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #1044
jimborae
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M-Sport LCI Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik89 View Post
I have a pre 3/09 car. The Install Instructions says "This retrofit system does not require coding". Is this correct? I've finished installing and the sound is better than before.
I don't see any need to recode mine either, the upgraded sound is perfectly acceptable to my ears.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #1045
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik89 View Post
You will find different response from different dealers.
Pre-LCI kit has lot of issues after hi-fi coding (to do with pdc sound) and bmw decided not to code the cars to avoid all those hassles.

Now, corporate politics aside this is how I see it;
1- If you prefer to listen to your music highly equalized or at low volume then there is no need to code it to hi-fi.
2- If you prefer to listen to your music neutrally or at high volume then it is recommended to have it hi-fi coded.
      08-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #1046
Per Hansson
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i F31 '18

Yea I've coded mine and it makes a world of difference to me at least.
PDC sounds are very low now though, have not found a way to get around that...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 06:14 AM   #1047
Pilot1981
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d xdrive lci

Hi,
I have E91 LCI with idrive professional; if I would install last alpine kit, anyone know what I have code to disable amplificator builtin in head unit?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 06:04 AM   #1048
sratansi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E92 Auto

the Price has seemed to have gone up a fair bit on these the BMW website now saying £406.80 just for the kit.. hate to think what they would charge to fit it
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #1049
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Getting the best out of the Alpine upgrade?

Hi all,

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd try this sticky first!

I've just ordered the Alpine Kit from Germany (£280!) and also bought some L7 subs to go with it too.

I had a E81 with the kit plus the L7 subs & I also replaced the Alpine mids for L7 variants instead. This set up sounded great and to my ears was BETTER than the £800 optional Harman / Kardon set up in my last car (F56 Cooper S)

Anyway - this time round I plan to just use the supplied Alpine mids, but I was also wondering if I changed the rear door mids (it's a touring) to say the hifi mids - would the stock head unit actually be able to do anything with them?

I know the Alpine only powers the front mids / tweeters / subs so I'm guessing the OEM head unit still powers the rears?

Has anyone got any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 07:10 AM   #1050
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

I've just finished installing the Alpine upgrade to my 2008 E92. Took me 2.5 hours thanks to the guides on here and I've had the door panels off before.
Well worth upgrading if anyone is considering it and doesn't want to spend too much. Total cost was £280 for the kit from germany and £28 for the grills off eBay. Sound quality and bass is so much better over stock I don't understand why this kit isn't fitted as standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #1051
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Okay I managed to find time to put the speakers in, already sounds a bit better.

I googled the numbers and I think the SA662 plug is only for the Business radio? I have Professional so put it in the plug with all the other numbers. Could find any clarification on that.

Annoyingly my Alpine badges are slightly marked but not 100% sure I want to put them on anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #1052
CH14SE_E
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 e91 318d M-Sport Plus LCI

Garage List
Sorry if this has been covered a million times guys; but I'm just interested which subs people have used with the alpine upgrade? I've got the original 6.5" under-seat subs in place. Just ordered the Alpine retrofit kit and got my hands on a pair of HiFi subs.. Most people suggest the L7 subs but I wondered if anyone has first-hand experience of the 2 options?

Also, has anyone modified their own choice of subs into the OEM under-seat housing powered by the Alpine amp?
      12-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #1053
CH14SE_E
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sod it.... L7 subs ordered and retrofit kit. Door surrounds and that's the lot I think?

Anything else I need?
      01-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #1054
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

right, so i installed the kit, got stuck a bit on the front passenger side with the wires.

thought I had them connected all properly, but there is no sound at all from the left side.

I have not put in the Alpine tweeters or mids yet on either side as I wanted to make sure that the wiring was correct, but for sure there is no sound from the left. Strangely, when I tried moving between the radio and woofer wires on the passenger side, I managed to cut off the amp.

Any ideas here ??

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #1055
CH14SE_E
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anees View Post
right, so i installed the kit, got stuck a bit on the front passenger side with the wires.

thought I had them connected all properly, but there is no sound at all from the left side.

I have not put in the Alpine tweeters or mids yet on either side as I wanted to make sure that the wiring was correct, but for sure there is no sound from the left. Strangely, when I tried moving between the radio and woofer wires on the passenger side, I managed to cut off the amp.

Any ideas here ??

Thanks...
Yes mate, you need to complete the circuit by wiring up the new mids & tweeters to the diplexer. Until you've done that you'll get no sound at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:20 AM   #1056
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14SE_E View Post
Yes mate, you need to complete the circuit by wiring up the new mids & tweeters to the diplexer. Until you've done that you'll get no sound at all.
Cheers. I'll complete the install then. However, I did manage to get sound from the right side of the car and I did not install the mids / tweeters as yet on this side.

So why would one side work with stock speakers with Alpine harness and not the other? Is it due to the fact that the speakers are wired in series?
Appreciate 0